• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
Lets hope if they do that they release the 12th and 13th man before the Test, so they can play for their states. Would be very annoying if Clarke and Clark missed a game for NSW, to carry drinks around. Thats the job for some U19 players, or super-sub fielder.
I'll put my hand up...:D

tooextracool

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I've actually seen him bat quite a few times, numerous times when he first started at ODI level in the VB series in 2001(?), as well as on the English tour of Pakistan and in the recent Champions Trophy. Harmison may just go out for a swing, but he hits the ball well and can add valuable runs to a total. Anderson, on the other hand, every time I've seen him bat looks pretty much all at sea. Against Australia he did well considering, but still was rather poor.

They have rather similar FC and Test averages as well. If it were I, anyway, Harmison would bat 10 and Anderson 11.
Anderson has the more orthodox technique, infact his technique is very good for a tail ender, its probably the best out of all the bowlers in the england side. Hes not a slogger a la Harmison, and he can actually hang around, its one of the reasons why hes barely been dismissed in test match cricket. Harmison is nothing but a slogger, and any half decent bowler will have him out within the space of a few balls.
Anyways my comment was based on you calling Anderson one of the worst batsmen you have ever seen and ranking him with Kaneria, which is really ludicrous.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
To be fair, he batted well for a while there, and then missed 6 deliveries in a row from McGrath, the last of which bowled him.

Harmison's a terrible batsman though. He can hit the ball, but he gets out in some of the most embarassing ways imaginable. I'd probably have Anderson above him, if only because Anderson can defend a few balls if needed and would be a better choice to support a top order batsman who was still there.
Anderson was amongst a select few englishmen who actually made it into double figures in that game. the 2 4s that he hit were about as good as any late cut that Arjuna Ranatunga might have played in his prime. He's certainly not anywhere near the worst batsman at the moment, and hes nowhere near as poor as the likes of Kaneria as was suggested.

howardj

International Coach
They're not going to name 13 players when there are no injuries.

They will only name 12 tomorrow.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I thought they were likely to name a 13, with all three of Clark, Johnson and Tait in, to cover themselves in case Tait take 10 wickets in the S.A vs Eng match.

shortpitched713

International Captain
tooextracool said:
Anyways my comment was based on you calling Anderson one of the worst batsmen you have ever seen and ranking him with Kaneria, which is really ludicrous.
Kaneria just got a 23 off 23 balls in the recent Test against the Windies, and if I remeber correctly he's gotten some pretty good scores lately, so he probably has been working on that aspect of his game. He was pretty terrible at the beggining of his Test career though.

tooextracool

International Coach
shortpitched713 said:
Kaneria just got a 23 off 23 balls in the recent Test against the Windies, and if I remeber correctly he's gotten some pretty good scores lately, so he probably has been working on that aspect of his game. He was pretty terrible at the beggining of his Test career though.
i think tail end batting is more about how many ducks you have and how many balls you bat then it is about averages. I mean anybody can come in, try to slog and once in a while get a few to connect and score a quick 20 odd. But if you look at both Harmison and Kaneria, they both have 15 and 16 ducks respectively, which suggests that they are most hit or miss.its also a fair number of ducks considering how many games they've played, Walsh had 43 ducks for his entire career, and he played more than 3 times as many games. Anderson meanwhile doesnt have a single duck to his name.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Matt79 said:
I thought they were likely to name a 13, with all three of Clark, Johnson and Tait in, to cover themselves in case Tait take 10 wickets in the S.A vs Eng match.
Spot on.

The squad for the first 3 mobile Ashes Test is:

Ricky Ponting (c) TAS
Adam Gilchrist (vc) WA
Stuart Clark NSW
Matthew Hayden QLD
Mike Hussey WA
Mitchell Johnson QLD
Justin Langer WA
Brett Lee NSW
Damien Martyn WA
Glenn McGrath NSW
Shaun Tait SA
Shane Warne VIC
Shane Watson QLD

Edit: For information, the 13th man will return to home port no later than the morning of the first 3 mobile Test match and the 12th man will be released to play domestic cricket in the games commencing Friday 24 November.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
If you insist on naming a squad of 13, at least make it worthwhile and cover all the options (i.e pick both Warne and MacGill and then wait to see what the pitch is going to offer).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I figured the 13 man squad was likely.

Watson was always a certainty I think, and I'm still backing Johnson to play. Tait certainly won't.

Josh

International Regular
No Hodge in the squad is surprising if you ask me; as is the inclusion of Tait, who I'd have both Gillespie and Bracken ahead of. Selectors work in strange ways as we know.

Mister Wright

Nah, Tait should be there and it isn't a bizarre thought that he could play on Thursday.

I'm with HowardJ. If they were going to pick 13, they should have included MacGill.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Nah, Tait should be there and it isn't a bizarre thought that he could play on Thursday.

I'm with HowardJ. If they were going to pick 13, they should have included MacGill.
Well I'd prefer to have Tait in my side than Clark in my side.

Mister Wright

Josh said:
Well I'd prefer to have Tait in my side than Clark in my side.
I don't like Clark, but it would be unfair on him (with his record) if he were not to be selected. However, them the breaks. I'd have Tait ahead of Johnson though.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
I don't like Clark, but it would be unfair on him (with his record) if he were not to be selected. However, them the breaks. I'd have Tait ahead of Johnson though.
I'd rate Tait and Johnson pretty evenly, would pick Johnson for the left-arm variety. Always good to have that different angle to keep the batsmen on their toes.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Josh said:
No Hodge in the squad is surprising if you ask me; as is the inclusion of Tait, who I'd have both Gillespie and Bracken ahead of. Selectors work in strange ways as we know.
Hodge's international career is possibly over, with Hussey coming in so strong and Jaques now being the frontrunner knocking on the door.

I'd be surprised to see Tait play, I think it'll be out of Johnson and Clark. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Clark play, in case the Poms really are competitive. Besides the fact that I think he's earned his place, I think he's more likely to keep it tight AND take wickets, and he's obviously in pretty good form. I doubt the conditions will be as friendly as what Johnson enjoyed at the CT, either, though I do think he's improved significantly.

shortpitched713

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah, I figured the 13 man squad was likely.
Why not go with 14? :D

Starting XI with Watson and MacGill, and have Johnson, Clarke, and Clark as the reserves. Three drinks carriers does seem to be a bit much though.