• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Woodster

International Captain
I am pleased Emgland have gone with Jones for the 1st Test. I believe the pitches will suit his style of play, and while he hasn't scored as many runs recently as I'm sure he/we would've liked, he does look more capable of scoring them at no. 7 than Chris Read. Think Read is a dece nt wicket-keeper and can probably feel quite hard done by, only being given a few Tests to prove himself, but I still think Jones is the right decision.

The difference between their batting is bigger than the difference in their keeping. By that I mean Jones's wicket-keeping is closer to the standard of Read's than Read's batting is to Jones's.

craigschwartz

Cricket Spectator
tooextracool said:
no thats not the point at all. You only drop someone when there is a better candidate available.
Then that begs the question why they didn't experiment with Prior or Foster against Pakistan if they cleary believed Read's batting wasn't up to test standard.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Woodster said:
I am pleased Emgland have gone with Jones for the 1st Test. I believe the pitches will suit his style of play, and while he hasn't scored as many runs recently as I'm sure he/we would've liked, he does look more capable of scoring them at no. 7 than Chris Read. Think Read is a dece nt wicket-keeper and can probably feel quite hard done by, only being given a few Tests to prove himself, but I still think Jones is the right decision.

The difference between their batting is bigger than the difference in their keeping. By that I mean Jones's wicket-keeping is closer to the standard of Read's than Read's batting is to Jones's.
how come Jones is a absolute tool in the FC circuit then, while Read is scoring a lot ?
both are poor, and England must face it, there keepers are poor.
you got a nice prospect in Davies, but he's far from read to go.
it's a shame that Jones is so favoured by everyone.
and I can't believe you drop someone on ODI's while your playing tests? :s
it's like playing Hoggard in ODI's then saying he's doing crap, we won't play him in the test match.

Woodster

International Captain
Like I said, I think Read may well be justified in thinking he's been hard done to.

However, Jones does have a better First Class batting average than Read (all be it slightly) , and so far he has a better Test average. Fletcher obviously thinks he's a better bat, and with a main issue being our lack of batting depth then he sees Jones as a better no.7 than Read at this moment in time.

Perhaps the fact Jones also has experience of playing in Oz and his game looks as though it is probably better suited to the faster bouncier tracks than Read.

howardj

International Coach
I think the 1st Test teams are pretty much settled:

Australia
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Johnson
McGrath

England
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Anderson
Harmison

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I think the 1st Test teams are pretty much settled:

Australia
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
Johnson
McGrath

England
Strauss
Cook
Bell
Collingwood
Pietersen
Flintoff
Jones
Giles
Hoggard
Anderson
Harmison
Yeah, agreed. England will probably play both spinners in a few games, but not in Brisbane I don't think. Australia is fairly set. Only possible doubt is Johnson vs Clark, but I'm fairly sure Johnson will get it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Not trying to be too pedantic, but Harmison WILL bat above Anderson. Jimmy is one of the worst batsmen I've ever seen. Up there with Kaneria.

Watson.

tooextracool

International Coach
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Not trying to be too pedantic, but Harmison WILL bat above Anderson. Jimmy is one of the worst batsmen I've ever seen. Up there with Kaneria.
Clearly you havent seen too much off him then. Anderson has one of the better techniques for any tail end batsman, he could easily bat up at 8 or 9 if he put his mind to it. Even if you watched him bat against Australia for about 2 minutes in the ICC champs trophy, you would know it.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I've actually seen him bat quite a few times, numerous times when he first started at ODI level in the VB series in 2001(?), as well as on the English tour of Pakistan and in the recent Champions Trophy. Harmison may just go out for a swing, but he hits the ball well and can add valuable runs to a total. Anderson, on the other hand, every time I've seen him bat looks pretty much all at sea. Against Australia he did well considering, but still was rather poor.

They have rather similar FC and Test averages as well. If it were I, anyway, Harmison would bat 10 and Anderson 11.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Clearly you havent seen too much off him then. Anderson has one of the better techniques for any tail end batsman, he could easily bat up at 8 or 9 if he put his mind to it. Even if you watched him bat against Australia for about 2 minutes in the ICC champs trophy, you would know it.
To be fair, he batted well for a while there, and then missed 6 deliveries in a row from McGrath, the last of which bowled him.

Harmison's a terrible batsman though. He can hit the ball, but he gets out in some of the most embarassing ways imaginable. I'd probably have Anderson above him, if only because Anderson can defend a few balls if needed and would be a better choice to support a top order batsman who was still there.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
I'm not sure I want my lanky fast bowler being anything other than a slogger, call me old fashioned.

Shame it's looking like Monty won't make it, with Felchers's obsession with runs from his spinner; what with the pathetic treatment of Read (they're both mediocre with the bat but Jones had countless chances) too I'm beginning to see where Boycs was coming from. Hopefully after the WC he will go and the timing will finally be right for Woolmer to step in, Fletch has done very well but I think it's a case of so long, and thanks for all the fish now.

I digress, sorry.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think Clark will get the other seamers spot over Johnson, I mean Clark hasn't done anything wrong and I think he deserves atleast 2 or 3 tests to show what he can do before they think about dropping him. Interesting to see whether Bell can handle batting at #3.

andyc

I know people were posting it in the Aus domestic thread, but I'll do it here cause I can :cool:

My predicted team for tomorrow:
Langer
Hayden
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Clark
McGrath

12th man: Johnson

Personally, I'd prefer either Hodge or Jaques to be at number 4 instead of Martyn, but it's not going to happen.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I think the article on cricinfo has a point, and the selectors will name a 13 man squad including all of Clark, Watson, Clarke and Johnson.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think the article on cricinfo has a point, and the selectors will name a 13 man squad including all of Clark, Watson, Clarke and Johnson.

That would br frustrating for fans

andyc

FaaipDeOiad said:
Yeah I just read that article, would be pretty disappointed if they did that, but it makes sense, plus it'll keep England guesing. Would ruin the fun though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lets hope if they do that they release the 12th and 13th man before the Test, so they can play for their states. Would be very annoying if Clarke and Clark missed a game for NSW, to carry drinks around. Thats the job for some U19 players, or super-sub fielder.