• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
My two cents on last night's play:

1. Ponting's reaction after his dismissal was an utter disgrace, if I was an Australian fan I'd feel thoroughly ignored and unappreciated. Even Stuart Clark raised his bat FFS. Ponting acted like a 12 year old.
He did raise his bat, though...

He hung his head after he got out, then walked off and raised his bat a couple of times, first as he reached the edge of the field and again as he walked up to the pavilion. Not that I'd care if he didn't, I'm just saying. :p

Anyway, he had every reason to be disappointed. Most batsmen don't exactly jump for joy when they get out in the 90s anyway, but it was the second time he's been dismissed in the 190s, and he'd clearly worked really hard to get through a tough period where he was stuck in the 170s for around an hour, and wanted the double.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Also, just regarding the Ponting thing, this is what really bugs me about people's attitude to him. Yes, he has done some things to warrant people having a negative attitude towards him, but having a go at him because he didn't look cheery enough after he got out for 196 is just absurd. I mean, forget the fact that the guy batted for eight hours and scored nearly 200 runs with the pressure of being an Ashes captain at home, and forget the fact that he declared at the right time and set good fields at the start of England's innings with a clear plan to key batsmen. He didn't raise his bat until he got to the edge of the field! Australian fans must be downright disgusted.

Matt79

Global Moderator
There was an insightful bit of commentary today when Chappelli asked Athers (I think) whether Flintoff would be prepared to give Harmison the rocket he deserves rather than the "good effort mate" they seem to be giving him. The answer was "no, he wouldn't want to distance himself from the team, and a mate, like that". Freddy's going to find leadership very hard if his only mode is 'leadership by inspiration'.

Watching England last couple of days was reminiscent of the 2nd test for us last year, with Gillespie being dire, and the captain having to scramble for people to bowl the overs given he couldn't trust one of his main bowlers.

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:
Also, just regarding the Ponting thing, this is what really bugs me about people's attitude to him. Yes, he has done some things to warrant people having a negative attitude towards him, but having a go at him because he didn't look cheery enough after he got out for 196 is just absurd. I mean, forget the fact that the guy batted for eight hours and scored nearly 200 runs with the pressure of being an Ashes captain at home, and forget the fact that he declared at the right time and set good fields at the start of England's innings with a clear plan to key batsmen. He didn't raise his bat until he got to the edge of the field! Australian fans must be downright disgusted.
:thumbup1:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:

He hung his head after he got out, then walked off and raised his bat a couple of times, first as he reached the edge of the field and again as he walked up to the pavilion. Not that I'd care if he didn't, I'm just saying. :p

Anyway, he had every reason to be disappointed. Most batsmen don't exactly jump for joy when they get out in the 90s anyway, but it was the second time he's been dismissed in the 190s, and he'd clearly worked really hard to get through a tough period where he was stuck in the 170s for around an hour, and wanted the double.
Oh, he did? In that case ignore what I said. :laugh: Must have missed it. :)

Still don't like him though. :p

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Woodster said:
In reply to a couple of these points - I think Colly needs a big series, whether he does, time will tell. I know the feeling generally is that he isn't quite up to the top standard, I believe he can have a good series with the bat. He has a good temperament, is a fighter, can be the adhesive in Englands middle order, letting the more flambuoyant players take centre stage while he nudges and nurdles his way to a decent score. Is exceptionally strong through mid wicket also.

It will undoubtedly be a big test and learning curve for Cook, Mcgrath has tormented better and more experienced opening batsmen in his career, so it would be no disgrace to fall to the big man. But, he got a beauty today off Mcgrath that would get most bats out, I think Cook can become a rock at the top if the order, and there is a second innings for him to put it right immediately.

We're generally not very good ? Would have to question the logic behind that statement, you dont become no.2 side in the world being not very good. Or am I just being blatantly biased in my view of England ?
Most of the last bit was my general depression at our performance coming through. We're a very good side, but we're just not competing so far.

Matt79

Global Moderator
FaaipDeOiad said:

Jeez he did look shattered when the finger went up tho didn't he - poor guy, must have been so disappointing. He'll no doubt have got over it and instead feel pleased about playing one of the best innings of recent times, but it is indicative of how well he's playing that his reaction to 196 is disappointment it was LOTS more.

Woodster

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Most of the last bit was my general depression at our performance coming through. We're a very good side, but we're just not competing so far.
Yes, sorry mate, should've realised. I was feeling the same myself this morning!
I am, however, an eternal optimist, and still hope that Bell and KP can put together a partnership of Sangakarra and Jayawardene proportions!!
I have high hopes for Bell this series, looks a totally different player to the last Ashes, and has that look of class. How he plays Warne may be crucial.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
My father said this series reminded him of 1954/55 but unfortunately the first Tests are similar! Australia score 600 (the only difference is thet Hutton put them in) and an England fast bowler bowls crap (Tyson with 1-160 in 29 8-ball overs being the equivalent of Harmison in this match) then England batting disintergrated twice and we lost by an innings(hopefully not this time) Of course Tyson transformed himself into a devastaing match winner but I don't think Harmison wil do the same..

Sir Redman said:
I meant on the Bell lbw appeal. The whole running towards the pitch and pointing as if it was already out. It's the kind of thing he's been doing for years but never gets in the slightest bit of trouble for it. .
Exactly what I recall Strauss did to either the close call on Ponting (glove) or Clarke (first ball)

And they were less out than Bell.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:

Tell me, what is the general consensus on the gloved ball to Jones? I can't really see it on bbc highlights on the website the resolution is poor.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Gloucefan said:
Tell me, what is the general consensus on the gloved ball to Jones? I can't really see it on bbc highlights on the website the resolution is poor.
I think it was pretty obviously not out, but that's just my opinion and I haven't heard anyone else comment on it. It was merely a good ball that was close to his gloves. Similar to the Clarke appeal for the inside edge, where the ball flicked his pad.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think it was pretty obviously not out, but that's just my opinion and I haven't heard anyone else comment on it. It was merely a good ball that was close to his gloves. Similar to the Clarke appeal for the inside edge, where the ball flicked his pad.
I think he got a faint edge onto his pad.