Page 53 of 109 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Hard to find too many positives for us, really. Fred was superb, but he can't bowl from both ends. I'm gripped by the fear this series is going to be a huge washout (in the metaphorical sense only, a literal washout out & a 0-0 score over five tests would be dandy, thank you God...) after last time. If the Aussie tail wags like it did over here we could be staring down 550+ quite easily & with a top 7 without a test run in Oz between them (is that unprecedented in post-war cricket? Can't be too many other occasions) even avoiding the follow on might be beyond us.

I may be being unduly pessimistic, but a massacre is going to be so unappealing to haul my arse out of bed for (well, to wake up at an ungodly hour & turn the telly on anyway).

If I were to find a straw to clutch it would be that the new cherry seemed to be swinging a little just before the close. We badly need quick wickets this morning. Unfortunately Ponting & Hussey have an ominous air of solidity about them. Hussey is a strange one, isn't he? He doesn't really play any eye-catching shots (at least compared to the rest of the top 5/6), but when you look up he's suddenly made a score.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Cricket Web Staff Member Woodster's Avatar
    I think the fact that on an excellent batting surface against some very poor bowling he was still only getting runs from mistimes shots, through airborne drives that went in between the fielders and between slip and gully just goes to show how poor he batted. A better captain, Vaughan or Hussain,yesterday would have had him out without getting into double figures.
    I agree the pitch is excellent and our bowling was average, but still he made the runs. OK he didnt time everyone, but lets look at the last time he played a Test was in March, when he was whacked on the head first ball! He must inevitably have been nervous, but I thought he played positively and got what he deserved. Yes, an early shot could have flown to hand, but you can say that about virtually every innings where someone scores a biggie!

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    I dont live in Bangalore anymore. Further whatever place i live in has no relevance to which team i support
    Huh? No, I meant its hard to belive you live in Banglore and hasn't seen a performance worse than Harmison.

The implication being that you would see plenty of subcontinent performances .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    A complete disgrace IMO, Flintoff simply has not got a clue, KP bowling? what going on there

Why Drop Panesar, for 20 years we have been crying for a Spinner who can attack sides we get one so we drop him for a next to useless Spinner who bats better, Panesar can win us tests Giles only plays Supporting roles.

We miss Simon Jones and the lack of Fast Bowlers depth is a big Worry

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    A complete disgrace IMO, Flintoff simply has not got a clue, KP bowling? what going on there

Why Drop Panesar, for 20 years we have been crying for a Spinner who can attack sides we get one so we drop him for a next to useless Spinner who bats better, Panesar can win us tests Giles only plays Supporting roles.
    It simply doesn't spin at the Gabba, so you might as well pick someone that will add something extra, even though they don't spin it. It makes perfect sense to me.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Giles will play all tests now

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    OK, I've watched the tape of today's play through to Langer's wicket, and a few comments are:
    - despite knowing how the day turns out, England could have, at this point, considered themselves unlucky. I don't recall ever seeing so many loose or streaky shots and edges go flying through the wide slip or gully area without ANY of them going to hand.
    Then watch any Trescothick innings.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BingLeeElectric
    Then watch any Trescothick innings.

Did you watch him bat at your man Brett Lee last summer?

U19 Captain

KP bowled better than Harmison, Anderson and Hoggard.

Hopefully this myth that Harmison is a world class bowler just looking to hit his rhythm can be put to bed now. Flintoff bowls for the first time in a test since the Sri Lanka series and hits his lengths straight away, bowling beautifully.

Despite his niggles Harmison has played more cricket yet still can't 'find his rhythm'. Let's face facts, he's a spineless git who doesn't deserve to wear the shirt.

At least Saj and Monty would play for the shirt.
    Last edited by UncleTheOne; 23-11-2006 at 12:46 PM.

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    What did I say no contest at all folks, booooooorrrrrrrinnnnnnnnggggggggg......

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    It was til Ponting and Hussey put on that huge partnership.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!

KP started off as an off-spinner. You know that if Vaughan was captain that he'd give himself a bowl before KP. Panesar isn't going to spin it at the Gabba, so may as well have someone who can catch and can hit 15+ more runs an innings.

However i do agree with the lack of Simon Jones. Even if it isn't reversing, Anderson/Hoggard/Harmison looked average.

Has to be said that after the dire opening spell, Harmison wasn't that bad. Didn't look like getting a wicket but was easily as average as Hoggard and Anderson.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Pretty disappointed with the whole day, to be frank.

Firstly, there wasn't much of a contest between bat and ball today. Harmison showed no ticker, as usual; Anderson got treated like a club bowler; and Hoggard never really looked like breaking through. On the flipside, Giles I thought bowled fairly well and Flintoff was very good.

The bowling was tripe to be honest.
    Giles and Flintoff were decent but Harmison was pathetic. I honestly can't see Anderson being consistently successful at test level with his action - his head is tilting sidewaysat the point of delivery - how on earth is he going to be accurate like that ?
    I can't see Hoggard doing much damage on hard, flat Aussie wickets - the ball doesn't swing here that much. But he should at least try and keep it tight and build pressure fior the others.
    I have said this before and I'll say it again - Harmison is one of the most overrated bowlers I've seen --- he's just so unreliable that you wonder whether England would be better off without him.

Mudhsudhan Singh Panesar should have played - he would at least have made the Aussies earn their runs ---
    If you look back at the 2005 Ashes, you'll see that really it was Jones and Flintoff that did the damage with 18 and 24 wickets respectively. With Jones out it wasn't hard to see England could be in big trouble unless Harmison stepped up.

International Debutant Salamuddin's Avatar
    I'm just hoping the Pommies especially KP who I like watching can score some runs....cause I have little hiope for the English bolwers v the Aussie batsmen.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    If England bat well enough this game could be a draw. Ponting won't stop batting in the first innings, and will try to bat England out of the series, so England will have to take wickets. The only way I can see Ponting declaring is if Australia are still batting late today and he might send England in for half an hour.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Thread Information