Page 50 of 109 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

I'd much rather have Mahmood than Harmison.

At least with Mahmood when you get a bad over you take him off and not just bowl him on "reputation"

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    It could have been worse for England, they could have picked Mahmood and Giles...
    Are you seriously suggesting that Mahmood would have been less effective than Harmy, Hogg & Anderson? Granted he'd have gone for a few, but surely he'd have asked more questions of the batters.

Today was all too predictable, afaics. Harmy's largely been in free-fall for a couple of years, and all the English talk of him being "the best in the world on his day" is just so much claptrap. Without injuries to Jones, Anderson & others, his place should have been questioned some while ago. Now, barring a significant improvement tomorrow, there's no point whatsoever in him playing. I just can't understand the commentators who blather on about him "not being at his best" whenever he's unimpressive, as that's exactly what he does most of the time. Let's bring in someone who actually wants to be there. I've had more than enough of his spineless, lazy approach to his job, and it's time to move on. Looks like Fred has come tot eh same conclusion, judging by the last half hour, and who can blame him? A bit ironic though, as he was supposed to be able to get the best out of his mate.
    Hoggard was also out of form for the vast majority of the English summer, so it was always optimistic to expect him to turn it on here. Giles did better than expected, so presumably we'll see both spinners for the remainder of the series. Not that it will make much difference to the end result, of course.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I'm soooo tired and really don't feel it was worth it! Not much to say that hasn't been said, Fred is Fred, my hero, and KP bowled well. I thought Anderson was better than his figures suggested tbh as well. Really disappointed, I'd bite your hand off if I was offered a draw now, obviously.
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    What an awesome day at the cricket! Harmisson wasn't that bad in his first spell. Maybe a bit short, but Langer was streaky - at best. I'm not a huge fan of Giles, but he bowled really well today, he bowled with a lot of flight and variation.

Ponting was just a class above, although he was suspect early, he was very solid all day and played some amazing shots, especially his pull shots - which were superb!

Hussey was also solid. Flintoff was amazing, he bowled with pace and accuracy. Best bowler of the day!
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Pretty disappointed with the whole day, to be frank.

Firstly, there wasn't much of a contest between bat and ball today. Harmison showed no ticker, as usual; Anderson got treated like a club bowler; and Hoggard never really looked like breaking through. On the flipside, Giles I thought bowled fairly well and Flintoff was very good.

Secondly, I expected singing and chanting from the crowd. It was extremely tame. The whole day just seemed to lack atmosphere - or it certainly didn't have the atmosphere I expected from a full house.

Finally, and most disappointingly, I can't see this series, as least as far as a contest is concerned, reaching any great heights. That's because, on the evidence before me, I certainly can not see how England can take 20 Australian wickets at anything like reasonable value.

The one beacon from today was Ponting. Say what you want about the man or his captaincy, but geez the bloke can bat. Volcano Ponting has been bubbling away since September 12 last year. The lava is just going to spew out over the next six weeks. He's lean and hungry.

OK, I've watched the tape of today's play through to Langer's wicket, and a few comments are:
    - despite knowing how the day turns out, England could have, at this point, considered themselves unlucky. I don't recall ever seeing so many loose or streaky shots and edges go flying through the wide slip or gully area without ANY of them going to hand. England didn't even drop any, they all were just a foot in the wrong direction.
    - Langer, despite scoring 82, actually didn't look that solid to me, largely for the reason stated above. He was streaky and unconvincing early on, despite reaching 20 odd of 10 balls or similar (several boundaries from edges or unconvincingly chancy shots)- and he looked extremely uncomfortable when Anderson actually bowled a well-directed bouncer. He'll be better for the hit-out, but I'll be interested to see whether England can do a better job of targeting him from here on in - I think they flubbed their chance today with him.
    - Obviously luck can play a role. Harmison was erratic early on, but a couple of those edges could easily have produced an early wicket and then his day might well have turned around. That said, you make your own luck and if you only create a few chances through the day, you're not putting yourself in the best position to be lucky. Langer certainly grabbed his luck and ran with it.
    - The English have so far bowled too predictably - there's been very few bouncers, and nobody's attempted a change of pace, which is important when the ball's not doing much.
    - Not impressed with Freddie's captaincy so far - I thought Harmy could have been left on in his first spell for another one over at least, given he was producing edges. Flintoff also seems to be changing his field a lot, and setting fields to cover for bad bowling, rather than having guys in position to capitalise on good balls.
    - Finally, obviously I'm aware Ponting is going to go on and make a big ton, but at the moment, he's only on 20 and damned if he doesn't already absolutely look like he's going on to a 200 - never seen him look better, and obviously there's better to come.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I think the reason for all the gaps in the field was because Flintoff had to move attacking fielders to the deep to prevent the flow of runs. The shots were streaky, but the fielders were not there to capitalise. Not to mention those edges were far and few between.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    I'm soooo tired and really don't feel it was worth it! Not much to say that hasn't been said, Fred is Fred, my hero, and KP bowled well. I thought Anderson was better than his figures suggested tbh as well. Really disappointed, I'd bite your hand off if I was offered a draw now, obviously.
    Tell me about it, I sat up all night in a bar in Bristol with friends only three of us stuck through the whole thing. I should have gone to bed instead.

Is the ball likely to swing tomorrow like it did at the end of todays play?

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    How is Freddie going to do all of that for the whole summer, plus back it up with a few hundred runs? He's either going to emerge a complete freak, or crash and burn youd have to think.

"I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

"Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20

Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Apologies if someones mentioned it, but how awesome is the coverage thus far. You guys over east didnt have to cut away to the news, and after play ended today, we got a re-play of the evening session for 2&1/2 hours till the news came on. And apparently highlights later on. Doesnt get much better, and all for freeeee.

Was sitting an exam for most of the first day.

Can watch it tomorrow though, Ponting to make 300.
    penis

Dream XI: M Hyder, J Linker, M Clock, S Wetsin, A Simms, A Golcrhist, B Hugg, S Worde, B Leap, J Giuseppe, G MacGrith

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda
    Apologies if someones mentioned it, but how awesome is the coverage thus far. You guys over east didnt have to cut away to the news, and after play ended today, we got a re-play of the evening session for 2&1/2 hours till the news came on. And apparently highlights later on. Doesnt get much better, and all for freeeee.
    Unfortunate people in England have to pay around 40 pounds a month just to watch a home game of cricket, the ECB and English cricket deserves every thrashing they get, but that won't make cricket here any more marketable.....

Its cheaper for me to fly to South Africa, watch a home and away season of England play cricket, and return back to England, than it is to watch cricket here for a year..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 23-11-2006 at 08:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, no way. For serious?

Page 50 of 109 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast

Thread Information