Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    Could Warne go to 700 wickets in this series? Is it possible, or to many?
    I think he should go close in the 3rd test as he has 685 wkts now, so 5 at the Gabba, 6 in Adelaide and 4 in Perth should do it
    Last edited by aussie tragic; 23-10-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    All the cool people will be at the pubs.
    I don't live in the city, you try finding me a pub that will be open through the night to show the Cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    If everyone is fit, then England should go like this. And assuming Harmison is bowling like he did at Lords against Aus on 2005 Ashes.

1)Trescothick
    2)Strauss
    3)Vaughan
    4)Collingwood
    5)Pietersen
    6)Bell
    7)Flintoff
    8)Read
    9)S Jones
    10)Harmison
    11)Panesar

i'm starting to feel there is a strong possiblity that England are going to go into this 1st test with 4 bowlers once Flintoff in the view of Flecther and the selectors is ready to bowl flat out since i believe they are worried about having a long tail & the fact that Read's batting even though has improved is a concern whether he is competent enough to bat at #7 vs Australia.

So dont be surprised if this English side steps out on November 23rd:

Trescothick
    Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Read
    Mahmood
    Hoggard
    Harmison

I also feel Mahmood may get the nod over Anderson, but i personally would play Anderson instead.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Mahmood could be a real handful on some of these fast Aussie pitches. He has real pontential, and shouldn't be overlooked. Anderson is a fine bowler at ODI level, but I've never seen him play test, so I can't say.

Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    i'm starting to feel there is a strong possiblity that England are going to go into this 1st test with 4 bowlers once Flintoff in the view of Flecther and the selectors is ready to bowl flat out since i believe they are worried about having a long tail & the fact that Read's batting even though has improved is a concern whether he is competent enough to bat at #7 vs Australia.

So dont be surprised if this English side steps out on November 23rd:

Trescothick
    Strauss
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Flintoff
    Read
    Mahmood
    Hoggard
    Harmison

I also feel Mahmood may get the nod over Anderson, but i personally would play Anderson instead.
    No Monty? Interesting.... IMO he's the english wild-card, and not playing him in the 1st match of the series would provide an instant boost to our Australian team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Clapo
    No Monty? Interesting.... IMO he's the english wild-card, and not playing him in the 1st match of the series would provide an instant boost to our Australian team.
    my mistake, Panesar will play no doubt ahead of Mahmood/Anderson, but if he gets smoked about i expect Giles to come straight back in but i doubt it, i reckon the lad will impress.

Cricket Spectator
    I reckon the English team should be:
    Strauss
    Tresc
    Cook
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Flintoff
    G Jones
    Mahmood
    Hoggard
    Panesar
    Harmison

I think Read has already shown that he's not up to international standard. Jones played well in 2005 I reckon - sure he played some stupid shots at times and kept pretty poorly...he still played some important innings and his keeping was looking pretty sharp before he was dropped. Australia would far prefer to see read I reckon.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    I agree with that, maybe Collingwood instead of Trescothick with Cook opening at some stage, and maybe Read above Jones. But the bowling looks like England`s strongest IMO, and would be the line-up Australia fears most.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Re: That bowling spot. I reckon the selectors will go with Johnson. If he bowls well at the `GABBA, chances are he`ll be picked for some Tests as well, where if he fails, Clark can take his place as a reliable L&L bowler. If that makes sense.

About England's team: If Giles is fit, why not play both spinners? Shane Warne has a great record here, Mahmood is unproven, and it would let Giles bat at 8 AND play Monty which is a MUST. My team - Trescothick, Strauss, Cook, Pietersen, Bell, Flintoff, Jones, Giles, Hoggard, Harmison, Panesar. Jones has to play after read's poor batting in CT. (why James Foster does not get picked...ask D Fletcher because I've no idea. He's a better player than when we first picked him)
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

I reckon we will line up like this, based on Fletcher's comments this morning

Tresco
    Strauss
    Cook
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Flintoff*
    Jones+
    Giles
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Panesar

Looking at that, the only changes from last year are Cook for Vaughan and Monty for SJ, as well as a swap round in the order for KP and Bell. I reckon whoever does play out of Bell/Colly will bat at 5, coz they don't seem to want Flintoff and Pietersen next to each other. It was such a disaster last year, after all

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero

Tresco
    Strauss
    Cook
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Flintoff*
    Jones+
    Giles
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Panesar

Looking at that, the only changes from last year are Cook for Vaughan and Monty for SJ, as well as a swap round in the order for KP and Bell. I reckon whoever does play out of Bell/Colly will bat at 5, coz they don't seem to want Flintoff and Pietersen next to each other. It was such a disaster last year, after all
    Well as that's the team I picked I hope you're right!! As for Freddie and KP maybe Fletcher thinks they'll try to outgun each other if they get into a partnership - when Richards and Botham played for Somerset Viv was at 3, Beefy 5 and usually P Roebuck was at 4 - and he said he tried to stay in long enough to stop Viv and Beefy batting together because they would try to outhit each other.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero

Tresco
    Strauss
    Cook
    Pietersen
    Bell
    Flintoff*
    Jones+
    Giles
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Panesar

He certainly seems to favour 5 bowlers and, on balance, I'd probably agree with him: Fred's not 100% fit, and I don't completely trust Hoggie & Harmy to do the business, even though they're certaintiers at this stage. There's a danger we could be bowled out very cheaply indeed, but our likeliest 4man attack would probably be taken to the cleaners.
    I'd play Mahmood instead of Giles though. Giles didn't score that many against Aus in 2005 until the Oval, so I'm not convinced he's adding that much with the bat, especially not having played for ages. Mahmood, OTOH, mseems to be on the up and might just shift a few of the Aus batters.

I agree. I really would favour Saj in a 5-man attack. Having said that, I would go for a five-man attack myself. Colly, Bell or KP are capable of bowling a handful, and as Aus won't be batting for long anyway ( ) there's no need to worry. If I were the selector, this would be my side

Trescothick
    Strauss
    Cook
    Pietersen
    Collingwood
    Bell
    Flintoff
    Jones
    Hoggard
    Harmison
    Panesar

Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast