• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Slow Love™

International Captain
Fantastic catch taken by Hussey, and Strauss is gone - but Lee looks to be in a bit of trouble with some blood around. Almost had a Gillespie/Waugh incident, there.

Personally, though, I think Hussey should have left it for Lee, as Lee was running in, and Hussey seemed more to be running with the flight of it. Well taken, though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
What a fantastic catch by Hussey! :)

One other thing to note, even though McGrath has been uncharacteristically wayward so far, is his pace. A lot of people have suggested it was down and so on, but he's being clocked consistently between 130 and 135 kph on Australian speed guns, which is where he's always been.

The ball from Lee to Strauss that was almost LBW was absolutely fantastic as well. Seamed back a mile.

pasag

RTDAS
Great early signs for Clark. They won't risk Lee today, he's back on field though. Doesn't look bad at all.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lovely first over from Clark. Every time I see him bowl he seems more impressive. I think that over alone shows that, with the new ball, he can certainly be a threat outside of seaming conditions. The similarity to McGrath is also obvious.

How he'll go on flatter pitches with less bounce when he has to bowl with the old ball is a different question, but this wicket suits him very nicely.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lovely first over from Clark. Every time I see him bowl he seems more impressive. I think that over alone shows that, with the new ball, he can certainly be a threat outside of seaming conditions. The similarity to McGrath is also obvious.

How he'll go on flatter pitches with less bounce when he has to bowl with the old ball is a different question, but this wicket suits him very nicely.
So you think they made the call to play him instead of Johnson?

Nice cover drive by Bell.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
Impressive umpiring, IMO.

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I thought Bucknor had really improved in recent times, and I really think he has. Cook looked almost gone, but it was high.
Good call. The umpiring in this test has been totally flawless for two full days, which is worthy of praise I think, especially given the panic about having Bucknor and Bowden again. There were a few close LBW shouts today and one yesterday, and the right decision has been made every time.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
So you think they made the call to play him instead of Johnson?

Nice cover drive by Bell.
With Watson in the team I would have gone Johnson, but I think once he was injured they made the right call. Without the 5th bowling option, Clark is definitely the safer choice, and obviously they got lucky with the surface in that regard too. If it turned out to be a swing bowler's paradise it might have gone the other way, but realistically Clark was never going to be bad. At worst he'd be ineffective but economical.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Clark is looking really good, and testing Bell (who still has plenty to prove, IMO), outside off stump.

I really like Clark in this lineup, and don't buy the "too much like McGrath" argument. He's shown himself to be a wicket taker so far, and he keeps it very tight.

Craig

World Traveller
Providing Watson is fit for Adelaide it will be interesting what they do because the temptation would be play two spinners but that would be mean Clarke & Clark (that sound's funny :laugh:) because Clarke has a half-century and assuming Stuart bowls reasonably well then both could be unlucky to miss out.

Horses for courses really is how it could look.