• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that Ponting's wasn't - just that even though the ball jagged back a lot, I still thought he was gone. Good umpiring, IMO, and I actually think it's been very good this test so far, although Bowden's nose scratch yesterday was kinda like when you make as if to punch someone and then you run your fingers through your hair. :)
Personally I think the umpring had been excellent. As you mention, Bowden's nose scratching action yesterday would've had Ponting more than a bit worried. But good decision that one, Ponting well forward, likewise with the appeal against Hussey this morning.

Can't see Shane Warne lasting too long here! As I said, bring Flintoff on at the other end.

Slow Love™

International Captain
All of a sudden, conditions don't look that bad for bowling. IMO, it's been great batting and poor bowling that's fuelled this innings, far more so than a flat pitch. Might be ominous for the English batsmen though.

And it looks like Freddie's going to give Harmy a shot at the tail. Interesting...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
Need to give Harmison another shot TBH, not Freddie.
I see he's coming on now. Don't think that's too bad a decision but I just get the feeling wayward deliveries from Harmison against Shane Warne could be dispatched and prove costly. I certainly hope not for Harmison's own confidence.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slow Love™ said:
All of a sudden, conditions don't look that bad for bowling. IMO, it's been great batting and poor bowling that's fuelled this innings, far more so than a flat pitch. Might be ominous for the English batsmen though.

And it looks like Freddie's going to give Harmy a shot at the tail. Interesting...
Considering what the ball is doing, and the fact Harmy needs to get into the swing of things, it is a good idea. Thats why I said he should put Harmy on.

chalky

International Debutant
Slow Love™ said:

I think Pointing and Hussey are class above the rest of the Aussie batsmen and made the English bowling (bar Harmison who was terrible) look worse than perhaps it was. Possibly this tour could hinge on England finding away to remove those two as the rest of the top 7 can be vunerable and 4 of them being on the slide.

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Considering what the ball is doing, and the fact Harmy needs to get into the swing of things, it is a good idea. Thats why I said he should put Harmy on.
Yes, I found it interesting because it's an obvious decision made with Harmison's confidence level given priority when it's plausible that other bowlers who have bowled better might end this more quickly. My personal perspective is that getting Harmison up there and bowling like he can is a far better result than dropping him for somebody else, as I still think he has an important part to play this series.

Bit of an interesting situation for Clarke, at 6/482. I doubt Ponting's likely to declare anytime soon, so I think the pressure is still very much on Clarke to make a good score or go not out, seeing as he may not get to bat again this test.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
Yes, I found it interesting because it's an obvious decision made with Harmison's confidence level given priority when it's plausible that other bowlers who have bowled better might end this more quickly. My personal perspective is that getting Harmison up there and bowling like he can is a far better result than dropping him for somebody else, as I still think he has an important part to play this series.

Bit of an interesting situation for Clarke, at 6/482. I doubt Ponting's likely to declare anytime soon, so I think the pressure is still very much on Clarke to make a good score or go not out, seeing as he may not get to bat again this test.
I think Clarke will have confidence in Warne and Lee to stick around for a bit...well, ok, confidence in Lee to stick around for a bit. It certainly is important for him to record a decent score, as personally I think Australia looks more balanced with Shane Watson at six providing an extra bowling option as well as an equal batting role.

Flintoff on now, good move imo. Chance immediately against Clarke with a caught and bowled....

chalky

International Debutant
Flintoff slightly down on pace in that over not suprising considering it is his first proper bowl since June.

chalky

International Debutant
pasag said:
All out for 600 imo.
If I was Australia I would be looking to declare about 1/2 hour after tea. Give yourself two shots at England with the new ball.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
chalky said:
If I was Australia I would be looking to declare about 1/2 hour after tea. Give yourself two shots at England with the new ball.
Personally I doubt they will though. I get the impression Australia will look to make as many as possible and look to declare about an hour after tea.

Although Warne has just gone to Harmison so that might change their approach.

chalky

International Debutant
Picture freezes when Harmison gets a wicket perhaps the production crew couldn't believe it.:laugh:

Slow Love™

International Captain
Warne out to Harmison - pretty ordinary ball though. I know that Warney can look ungainly sometimes when he's having a good day, but he looked freakin' atrocious out there today. :laugh: