• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
People are really overstating how bad Langer was. Certainly he hit ht bell in the air a fair bit early on, but he played some absolutely murderous shots to anything overpitched or wide. I've seen centuries with far more streaky shots, really, and I think it's clutching at straws a bit to suggest that his innings was purely luck. With some better field placings he might well have been out early, but he may well have played more conservatively if there was better bowling and a more aggressive field anyway. None of his risky shots were unintentional after all, they were usually big swings at wide deliveries played with the knowledge that there was one gully and only two slips.

And really, I think England do need to be concerned about their performance. You don't take three wickets in a day of test cricket and walk away satisfied, unless you're playing in Antigua. And again, regarding the chances, England didn't drop a single catch all day and Ponting and Hussey never hit a single ball in the air near a fielder, which says a lot about how much trouble the batsmen were in. Flintoff can't carry the attack the whole series, and England's bowling has to improve a long way if they're going to be competitive. Even if they bat brilliantly and this match finishes a draw, I'd still be extremely concerned as an England fan. 8 of these guys played every test in the Ashes last year, it's not like they haven't bowled to these guys before.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Langer played well - if the ball is wide and he smashes it in the air, the reality is that he would have to hit it straight at the fieldsman to get out.

Bowling bad, Langer good

chalky

International Debutant
Apparantly this is the most seamer friendly wicket in Australia - that doesn't bode well for England.

Obviosly Englands bowling was generally poor but you have to give credit to Pointing and Hussey who really played flawless innings. The thing bout these two which seperates them from the rest of the aussie batting line up is they are not going to get themselves out which means as a bowling unit you are going to have to bowl really well or get lucky to get them out. Neither of which england did yetserday.

Predictions for the day expect Australia to bat until around tea score around 600 and put England in.

chalky

International Debutant
England look really flat in the feed no energy allowing easy 2s & 3s just trotting to the ball

chalky

International Debutant
Harmison shocking again Botham & Hussain saying he has to bowl but at the moment he is wasting the new ball. Fred should be on now with the new ball as a strike bowler not coming on later once the damage has been done.

pasag

RTDAS
Wtf is with CW?

Anyways, Ponting and Hussey moving along nicley. Anderson looks like they key here. Harmison needs to be dropped, this is embarrassing.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Okay honestly this is getting worse than Ind/SA.............even Bangladesh can put up a better performance.

*hoping to jinx Australia*

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
O well w/e I am just happy my prediction about this being not such a great series, in fact very one sided is going to be true, world test championship between the top two teams my ***!

Actually no I am not happy, I rather have this turn out to be a great series and me having to eat my words.

chalky

International Debutant
Turbinator said:
O well w/e I am just happy my prediction about this being not such a great series, in fact very sided is going to be true, world test championship between the top two teams my ***!
It's one and half days mate look at the last Ashes and see what happend after the 1st test. And if england arn't the number two test side who are?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
chalky said:
It's one and half days mate look at the last Ashes and see what happend after the 1st test. And if england arn't the number two test side who are?
I know but still ........alright fine bro we'll talk about this after the series.

chalky

International Debutant
pasag said:
Flintoff, what a champion. Bowls Hussey for 86. Seriously, what a champion that Flintoff.

Michael Slater is commentating on Sky thought we would have got a BOWLED HIM ala Warne against Strauss.