Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    What's he proven though? At least Bracken has yards on him. It's plain obvious that Gillespie is past it, and unless can get back the 10kph he suddenly lost, he's history. If Kasper keeps taking bucketloads of FC wickets then maybe, but at the moment he's injured.

Johnson took some wickets on a helpful pitch after it rained. Sure, they were good, but he's been blasted in nearly every other international game he played. Even took some stick against the Bangas, before getting some late wickets. All the while Bracken has a proven FC record in Australia (especially at the GABBA and the SCG) and has more than shown he is the goods in OD cricket. I fail to see why they can't do horses for courses and slot Bracken in at the grounds that will make hima dangerous prospect.
    Brackens record at the SCG is poor, to sort that out.

He'll be nothing more than an above average one day bowler, and that's coming from someone who likes Bracken, but I'm being realistic. Johnson had an awesome first class season last year and should be above Bracken.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

An above average one day bowler, with one of the best ODI bowling records in history?

A top FC season doesn't mean he should be playing test cricket. Bracken's had numerous top seasons in the Pura Cup, as well as taking wickets at around 20 for the Australian OD side.

In any case, he wouldn't be in my starting XI anyway. MacGill should be there for all five tests, I just don't think that those three (two of which are pretty much past it, and one, despiute being a hot prospect, has less FC cricket under his belt than Gelman) should be ahead of someone with an ODI record like his. Especially considering his form of late.
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    An above average one day bowler, with one of the best ODI bowling records in history?

A top FC season doesn't mean he should be playing test cricket. Bracken's had numerous top seasons in the Pura Cup, as well as taking wickets at around 20 for the Australian OD side.

In any case, he wouldn't be in my starting XI anyway. MacGill should be there for all five tests, I just don't think that those three (two of which are pretty much past it, and one, despiute being a hot prospect, has less FC cricket under his belt than Gelman) should be ahead of someone with an ODI record like his. Especially considering his form of late.
    Johnsons form of late is superior to Brackens. Opinions are pretty much pointless here, because it's a fact that Bracken isn't anywhere in the selectors thinking for test matches.

Anyways, you're right, MacGill should play all five tests, no questions asked.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Bracken - last time bowled at the `Gabba.

OD: 4/15 off 6.2. Took batsmen 2, 3, 9, 10 (Symonds, Hopes, Hartley)
    FC: 8/81 off 40.2. (Match figures) Took batsmen 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (Maher twice, Symonds, Perren)
    ODI: 3/44 off 10. Took batsmen 1, 3, 5 (Jayasuriya, Attapatu)
    Test: 4/48 off 16. Took batsmen 4, 5, 8, 9 (Lara, Chanderpaul)
    20/20 Int: 2/9 off 3. Took batsmen 2, 3 (Dippenaar, Gibbs)

I really don`t want to sleep. I don`t care that these stats are biased and mean nothing. I feel better.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Bracken - last time bowled at the `Gabba.

OD: 4/15 off 6.2. Took batsmen 2, 3, 9, 10 (Symonds, Hopes, Hartley)
    FC: 8/81 off 40.2. (Match figures) Took batsmen 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (Maher twice, Symonds, Perren)
    ODI: 3/44 off 10. Took batsmen 1, 3, 5 (Jayasuriya, Attapatu)
    Test: 4/48 off 16. Took batsmen 4, 5, 8, 9 (Lara, Chanderpaul)
    20/20 Int: 2/9 off 3. Took batsmen 2, 3 (Dippenaar, Gibbs)

I really don`t want to sleep. I don`t care that these stats are biased and mean nothing. I feel better.
    ****, fair dinkum, most pointless stats. Johnson in the Pura Cup final took a 10 fa on a road at the GABBA. Isolated stats are meaningless.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    In reverse order, Bracken`s bowling in First-Class matches at the SCG.

1/20 off 17
    2/63 off 24

1/20 off 8
    3/61 off 29

5/36 off 14.2
    1/28 off 13

1/33 off 16
    2/20 off 13

1/28 off 15
    2/64 off 27.4

0/24 off 12
    4/32 off 18

0/45 off 17
    7/4 off 7

1/18 off 9
    1/22 off 13

To be fair, not an amazing record. But definately not poor.

Murphy, btw, I don`t even have an arguement. Just a bunch of numbers and an unhealthy obsession.
    Last edited by Nate; 16-10-2006 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    Johnsons form of late is superior to Brackens.
    There's not much to sample to be honest, but going by their games in Malaysia, not really. Johnson bowled supremely in one game (albeit with helpful conditions, a night sky and after some nice juicy rain) but Bracken still consistently took wickets. The difference in averages is slight, but noticable. Johnson 6 @ 12.66 from two games whereas Bracken took 6 @ 15.33. The Champs Trophy could indeed prove me wrong (though match reports from warm up games suggest that Johnson's bowling has been rather innefective so far) but I don't really see how you could say his form has been superior, considering the few matches they've both played.

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    ****, fair dinkum, most pointless stats. Johnson in the Pura Cup final took a 10 fa on a road at the GABBA. Isolated stats are meaningless.
    To be fair, the Vics pretty much batted like ****, especially in the second innings. If they hadn't been fielding for the last 3 months they could've batted forever.

Been typing up a post for the last 19 minutes and lost it all.

Highlights:

Warm-up OD for CT -
    Bracken: 1/34 off 9
    Johnson: 0/26 off 5

Only FC Match Bracken and Johnson have played together - SCG
    Bracken: 3/83 off 44
    Johnson: 1/123 off 27

ODI Matches together - New Zealand
    Bracken: 1/41 off 9
    Johnson: 0/64 off 9

Bangladesh
    Bracken: 2/30 off 8 & 2/16 off 6
    Johnson: 1/34 off 7 & 0/24 off 6

DLF Cup - West Indies
    Bracken: 2/45 off 6.5
    Johnson: 2/65 off 8

India (not together) -
    Johnson: 4/11 off 4
    Bracken: DNP

West Indies (not together) -
    Bracken: 1/31 off 9 & 3/16 off 7
    Johnson: DNP & DNP

Doesn`t have to mean anything, just interesting. However, to say Johnson has been in better form evidently isn`t true.
    Last edited by Nate; 16-10-2006 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    The funny thing is that there is a IND/SA series going on at the same time, and I might just be watching the Ashes and flipping over to IND/SA, instead of the other way around.
    Both will be at different times. Most Aussie tests start at 5.30 AM IST while RSA ones start at 3.30 PM IST. Even for the East coast centres in Australia, there would be maximum 1 hour over lapping if at all (not sure).
    Last edited by Pratters; 16-10-2006 at 01:54 PM.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Both will be at different times. Most Aussie tests start at 5.30 AM IST while RSA ones start at 3.30 PM IST. Even for the East coast centres in Australia, there would be maximum 1 hour over lapping if at all (not sure).
    Sweet. What times GMT? I live in the US, so one or both of them may not fit. I am willing to stay up at night but I do need slee from time to time.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker
    Sweet. What times GMT? I live in the US, so one or both of them may not fit. I am willing to stay up at night but I do need slee from time to time.
    India is 9 and half hours ahead from most parts of the US AFAIK.

Around 7pm Central American time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

It scares me really that the selectors do have Gillespie & Kaspa ahead of Bracken in the pecking order. Both are well past their peaks, and haven't shown anything much to suggest that they're returning to their form pre Ashes 2005.

In any case, Clark & Johnson will be the 1's fighting it our for the 3rd seamer spot imo. I would prefer they went with Johnson A) Because he's a queenslander and B) Because he is a Lefty, quick, and can get a decent amount of swing, whilst Clark is a similar bowler to McGrath, except nowhere near as good.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    If there are any forum members going to the first test I suggest a meet up. I'll be at The Morrison Hotel from whenever it opens - Hopefully 8am, but more likely 9am to begin preceedings for the day.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Page 2 of 109 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread Information