• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Looking forward to waking up and hearing Richie say Good Morning for the next 6 weeks...

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Yes the clock is ticking - by my watch 8 and a half hours till Sky's coverage starts - deelin very excited - and nervous. I hope that Fletcher is saying to himself "pick Monty, pick Monty" and Freddie is saying to himself "we'll have a bat" so he's learnt it off by heart for the toss. This test is SO important. Australia have won 11 out of the last 15 at the 'Gabba when it has staged the first Test - they'll expect to be 1-0 up after this Test. So if we get a draw - or even better a win - the pressure is on Australia. PS - and of the four teams that got out of the 'Gabba unscathed one won the series (WI 1992-93) and two drew the series (NZ 2001-02 and India 2003-04).

Slow Love™

International Captain
howardj said:
I can only imagine what the players are feeling like tonight. I guess, to put it in normal people's terms, tomorrow for them would be like how you felt before your most important University exam; or how you felt the night before a job interview. Your heart is pounding like a jack-hammer. All you want to do is get off to a good start, to settle.
Haha, they have done this before... One of the advantages of an older, experienced team is that they shouldn't be too jittery. Haydos is probably singing a few hymns, Warne's likely getting off, McGrath's freshening up the tints and Punter's possibly at his dressing table giving the forearms a final brush before bed. The only guy probably feeling the pressure real bad is Clarke, who really will be under the pump.

Stuart Clark and Mitchell Johnson will obviously be nervous about getting selected though.

adharcric

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
Haydos is probably singing a few hymns, Warne's likely getting off, McGrath's freshening up the tints and Punter's possibly at his dressing table giving the forearms a final brush before bed.
Spot on. You seem to know your Aussies real well. 8-)

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
pasag said:
I'd be suprised if he didn't play but it really depends on how he wakes up.

11 hours.
Exactly waking up dead would certainly limit his hopes of playing.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Some nice Gabba stats stolen from cricinfo :)

Matthew Hayden has four hundreds in six Tests and an average of nearly 80, while Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist are both averaging 62.

"Even Shane Warne has three half-centuries and an average of nearly 35 at this ground, but what might really depress England's supporters is this next stat: in three innings here, Brett Lee has two fifties to his credit and an average of - hold your breath - 85"

In bowling, Lee averages 17, Warne 19, and McGrath 22

Finally best of all, Australia haven't lost at the Gabba since 1988 (vs that WI team), while England haven't won since 1986 (vs that re-building team minus Chappell-Lillee-Marsh)

All sounds pretty good to me :dry:

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
aussie tragic said:
Some nice Gabba stats stolen from cricinfo :)

Matthew Hayden has four hundreds in six Tests and an average of nearly 80, while Ricky Ponting and Adam Gilchrist are both averaging 62.

"Even Shane Warne has three half-centuries and an average of nearly 35 at this ground, but what might really depress England's supporters is this next stat: in three innings here, Brett Lee has two fifties to his credit and an average of - hold your breath - 85"

In bowling, Lee averages 17, Warne 19, and McGrath 22

Finally best of all, Australia haven't lost at the Gabba since 1988 (vs that WI team), while England haven't won since 1986 (vs that re-building team minus Chappell-Lillee-Marsh)

All sounds pretty good to me :dry:
Doesn't really have a bearing on this match, England hadn't won the Ashes in 16 years until 2005 didn't stop them though.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
and Punter's possibly at his dressing table giving the forearms a final brush before bed.

:laugh: He's like a mini-gorilla that man.

Anyway, he'll be so hungry when he wakes up this morning.

He's been waiting for today for a long, long time.

For Punter, this Summer's personal.

500+ runs.

Not sure how many he'll get in the following four Tests. :)