• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

howardj

International Coach
Sitting at the Pizza Hut all-you-can-eat just before, with two days off work, and the eve of an Ashes Test - I honestly felt like my life had peaked. Doubt it gets any better tbh.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I'm quite glad Tait's out of the running - how they can let a guy get so far along in his career with an action that is wrecking his body is beyond me.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Sitting at the Pizza Hut all-you-can-eat just before, with two days off work, and the eve of an Ashes Test - I honestly felt like my life had peaked. Doubt it gets any better tbh.
Tomorrow morning will be better, IMO.

13 hours.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anna said:
I'm quite glad Tait's out of the running - how they can let a guy get so far along in his career with an action that is wrecking his body is beyond me.
Simplest explaination would be that forcing him to radically change his action would possibly be even worse for his body and/or ruin his career. His action isn't all that bad really. It's pretty harsh, but Mitchell Johnson's has the air of long-term injury problems about it as well, but people don't comment on it as much because it's a bit more orthodox.

Then you've got guys like Simon Jones and Shane Bond who have largely orthodox actions but miss a year of cricket every time they get bitten by an ant.

howardj

International Coach
I can only imagine what the players are feeling like tonight. I guess, to put it in normal people's terms, tomorrow for them would be like how you felt before your most important University exam; or how you felt the night before a job interview. Your heart is pounding like a jack-hammer. All you want to do is get off to a good start, to settle.

Anna

FaaipDeOiad said:
Simplest explaination would be that forcing him to radically change his action would possibly be even worse for his body and/or ruin his career. His action isn't all that bad really. It's pretty harsh, but Mitchell Johnson's has the air of long-term injury problems about it as well, but people don't comment on it as much because it's a bit more orthodox.

Then you've got guys like Simon Jones and Shane Bond who have largely orthodox actions but miss a year of cricket every time they get bitten by an ant.
True....It just looks incredibly painful.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Forgotten where and who now, but someone made a comment on a flinging action having less impact on the body. Foolish. So much more strenuous than an orthodox action.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
I have never been this excited for the summer International series for a while. I have always thought that the GABBA test is my favourite and I just can't wait for the first ball tomorrow. Just the anticipationg for the GABBA each year and the quality of games make it the best. HOpefully I dont sleep in and miss the first ball.

pasag

RTDAS
I'd be suprised if he didn't play but it really depends on how he wakes up.

11 hours.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would put $214141328-fnr023902f- on Bell getting out to a short-ball when England bat.

Anna

Nnanden said:
Forgotten where and who now, but someone made a comment on a flinging action having less impact on the body. Foolish. So much more strenuous than an orthodox action.
It's not just that....(IIRC) when he releases, he takes a huge stride across, so his torso has to twist a lot to compensate; also on release his left knee is bent, putting more strain than necessary on it...there are probably a few more things to add to, but that's all I can think off atm.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Anna said:
It's not just that....(IIRC) when he releases, he takes a huge stride across, so his torso has to twist a lot to compensate; also on release his left knee is bent, putting more strain than necessary on it...there are probably a few more things to add to, but that's all I can think off atm.
Thanks Goughy. :p

adharcric

International Coach
Gloucefan said:
Where from?
My illegal provider. ;)
I just want to make sure this will be a cracker of an Ashes. I regretted missing last year's series so I don't want to do the same again.