• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd prefer to have Collingwood to be perfectly honest, his batting is superior to that of Symonds while they are about equal in the field. Symonds bowling is probably a bit more handy that Collingwood, seeing as how he can bowl off break aswell.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
He's nowhere near Collingwood in anything except fielding to be honest...
I'd say Symonds is a much better bowler than Collingwood in both ODIs and tests, is useful in a wider range of situations and in tests is much more likely to at least keep it tight. His bowling wasn't exactly a dramatic success at test level, but he did take 5 wickets in the Boxing Day test against South Africa and had a fair hand in the result of that game in the process.

Collingwood's certainly a better test batsman, though. Symonds doesn't seem to know the appropriate way to bat in any situation unless his only goal is quick runs, and his average of under 20 pretty much reflects how he played, if not necessarily his ability.

greg

International Debutant
Not really surprising that Clarke is called up considering Hilditch statement that Watson was not picked as an allrounder, but as "one of the best six batsmen in the country".

Matt79

Global Moderator
greg said:
Not really surprising that Clarke is called up considering Hilditch statement that Watson was not picked as an allrounder, but as "one of the best six batsmen in the country".
:lol: if that is truly what Hilditch believes, then I guess Jaques and Hodge know where they stand! :)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
greg said:
That's crap though. What he means is that Watson will be expected to justify his position with the bat. If he couldn't bowl he wouldn't have been picked. The decision to pick Clarke is the correct one because Symonds is a crap test batsman, but it is a change in selection direction and will probably lead to a more reliable seamer like Clark being picked, instead of Tait or Johnson.

tooextracool

International Coach
Perm said:
I'd prefer to have Collingwood to be perfectly honest, his batting is superior to that of Symonds while they are about equal in the field. Symonds bowling is probably a bit more handy that Collingwood, seeing as how he can bowl off break aswell.
I have to say i cant believe that people are making direct comparisons betwn Collingwood and Symonds. Lets see now, one's test class while the other isnt.

Woodster

International Captain
I think it's an interesting comparison between Symonds and Collingwood, but imo a comparison that favours England.

Symonds has not fulfilled his potential at Test level, he seems unsure whether to try and bat properly or to play in his one-day mode. Collingwood imo is a better batsman and more reliable. Whereas Symonds style might be a touch hit and miss, Colly has a consistency in his style and is a real fighter who doesn't have to be in great nick to get a decent score.

Bowling wise again its close, but I'd favour Symonds, his versatility helps with off-spin and medium pace, and either aspect he can cause problems. Colly is mainly a medium pacer that tries to contain and offer a variety of slower balls.

I think the fielding is very close, both exceptional fielders. Both of them in the top 3 in the world.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Beautiful stuff from Mike Atherton:

"While the opening salvos of this tour have created a bit of wreckage, they have also cleared up many of the outstanding selection issues. Alastair Cook will open; Ian Bell moves up to three, and James Anderson gets a belated chance to resurrect his Test career. Only one selection headache remains: Giles or Monty Panesar? Please God (sorry, please Duncan) let it be Monty."

Management Breakdown Hits England

social

Far too much is being made of Panesar's potential impact upon the series and the question of whether he or Giles should be selected.

Finger spinners traditionally have negligible impact in Australia and the best that can be hoped for from either is a few wickets at a low economy rate.

Having said that, a decision to pick Giles will definitely be a psychological blow in favour of Australia as it definitely would be a defensive tactic.

If for no other reasons, Panesar should be picked because he's a better bowler and the Australians havent seen him

Mister Wright

pasag said:
The wait is killing me. Driving me insane. Never been like this before any sport or match.
Yeah same. Although not sure if it's waiting for the game or the 5 day piss-up I'm most excited about...

Laurrz

International Debutant
pasag said:
The wait is killing me. Driving me insane. Never been like this before any sport or match.

glad to see im not the only one...i was dieing today just thinking about it :wacko:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone else watch Inside Cricket tonight? How much crap did David Lloyd come out with? Unbelievable stuff there.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it as well. Most excited I've been about any sporting event since the Australia v Japan match at the World Cup.

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Anyone else watch Inside Cricket tonight? How much crap did David Lloyd come out with? Unbelievable stuff there.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it as well. Most excited I've been about any sporting event since the Australia v Japan match at the World Cup.
Most excited I've been since Rafter v Sampras.

Josh

International Regular
Mister Wright said:
Most excited I've been since Rafter v Sampras.
Most excited I've been since the night I thought I was gonna get a root... then watched the girl run off with one of my mates.