• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
They moved Hussey down the order and i reakon they would move Jaques down the order too before picking Hodge. I would say Clarke is a way ahead of him too.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Josh said:
Yeah, if England were smart they'd definitely go after Watson. I dunno about him, I reckon his injuries have probably held him back. I still think he's massively overrated.

Time will tell.

overrated a little i think, not nearly as much as Hodge though...

I think his bowling will improve alot over this summer too.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Watson might miss the first test. Just injured his hamstring bowling against WA, and went off the ground immediately.

Hopefully it's not serious, but it'll probably keep him out for a little while anyway. Symonds will probably get the call-up, unfortunately.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Looks like Watson might miss the first test. Just injured his hamstring bowling against WA, and went off the ground immediately.

Hopefully it's not serious, but it'll probably keep him out for a little while anyway. Symonds will probably get the call-up, unfortunately.
Holy crap! I just saw that, was watching with the sound down. You don't think they'll go for Clarke? Apparently Marto's got some tendonitis as well.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Holy crap! I just saw that, was watching with the sound down. You don't think they'll go for Clarke? Apparently Marto's got some tendonitis as well.
If Watson can't play, I'd suspect the choice of batsman will depend on what type of bowler Australia choose. I figure they were going to pick Johnson or Tait and have Watson as back up if they were either expensive or not bowling enough overs. However the selection of Clark would probably allow a recognised batsman in Hodge or Clarke to play. If they still want to play Johnson or Clarke Symonds might be the option they go with.

Watson will not bat, not even with a runner and is returning home to Brisbane.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Slow Love™ said:
They'll go for Clarke is Martyn misses out, but unfortunately I think they'll go with Symonds if Watson can't play. The fifth bowler is something they are pretty keen on having, and I pray to whatever God you can think of that they don't pick Hopes.

Slow Love™

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
They'll go for Clarke is Martyn misses out, but unfortunately I think they'll go with Symonds if Watson can't play. The fifth bowler is something they are pretty keen on having, and I pray to whatever God you can think of that they don't pick Hopes.
It'd be too out of the box, I think - if they really want to persevere with an all rounder, I'm sure that Symonds would be the pick. I just thought they'd be more likely to take Clarke and Clark if the initial plan was disrupted.

Martyn should be OK - I think he was just left out of this one for precautionary reasons, probably a good call if there are any issues whatsoever. He's still got just under a week.

If Watson is straight out going home as Kyle says, the news is probably bad. Not a cricketer with a lot of luck when it comes to injuries. I feel sorry for him because he's been building up well to this series.

pasag

RTDAS
He's definitley twinged his hamstring. Doubt it's that bad. He's only going home as a massive precautionary measure. He'll be there for the first test IMO. (Based on nothing more than a feeling though).

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
pasag said:
He's definitley twinged his hamstring. Doubt it's that bad. He's only going home as a massive precautionary measure. He'll be there for the first test IMO. (Based on nothing more than a feeling though).

i agree, Marto will be right too i think.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'm hoping he'll be right, but I think he'll miss at least one test and possibly two. It didn't look very serious, but if there's even a slight strain it'll be a real risk to play him with the test starting in under a week.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Be interesting to see who they pick if Watson isn't fit. Do they think they need an all-rounder in which case it will probably be the "poor man's Flintoff" (Andrew Symonds). Hasn't anyone noticed that the Aussies have wanted a batting/bowling all-rounder since the last Ashes? I believe you play to your own strengths - England got so obsessed with finding our own Shane Warne we once picked Chris Scofield!:laugh: It's a shame for Watson though - we'll never know if he's good enough at Test level if he's always injured (another similarity with Flintoff's early career).

Matt79

Global Moderator
Poker Boy said:
Be interesting to see who they pick if Watson isn't fit. Do they think they need an all-rounder in which case it will probably be the "poor man's Flintoff" (Andrew Symonds). Hasn't anyone noticed that the Aussies have wanted a batting/bowling all-rounder since the last Ashes? I believe you play to your own strengths - England got so obsessed with finding our own Shane Warne we once picked Chris Scofield!:laugh: It's a shame for Watson though - we'll never know if he's good enough at Test level if he's always injured (another similarity with Flintoff's early career).
Actually the selectors quest for an all-rounder has filled enough newspaper space to account for an entire forest's worth of trees. :)

If he doesn't get up, it will be interesting to see if they go for Symonds over Clarke - unlikely, but certainly not outside the realms.

Otherwise, really feel for Watto if this is going to keep him out. The guy can't take a trick.

shortpitched713

International Captain
They should go with Clarke if either Watson or Martyn are unable to play. Would like to see Hodge if both are unfit. Symonds shouldn't get near the Australian Ashes squad.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I hope to God Symonds plays. Seriously. He's no better a Test all-rounder than Collingwood. Please please play Symonds. Please. :D

Josh

International Regular
GeraintIsMyHero said:
I hope to God Symonds plays. Seriously. He's no better a Test all-rounder than Collingwood. Please please play Symonds. Please. :D
Just for that I hope he plays and smashes a hundred.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
GeraintIsMyHero said:
He's nowhere near Collingwood in anything except fielding to be honest...