• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
God, I can't wait. I'm not really a fan of either country, but even I can't wait.

I can't imagine how the Aussies/English are feeling.

The funny thing is that there is a IND/SA series going on at the same time, and I might just be watching the Ashes and flipping over to IND/SA, instead of the other way around.

This thing is a disease, I tell you. It catches you and then it sucks you in. :@

Anyway, go England!

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Team should look like this:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting*
Martyn
Hussey
Watson
Gilchrist+
Warne
Lee
MacGill
McGrath

12th Man: Clarke

benchmark00

Nnanden said:
Seamers paradise. :(
Warnes favourite pitch.

With Watson improving with the ball, selectors shouldn't have a problem playing two spinners. I can see this as the only pitch where Hoggard will be effective.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bracken`s First-Class Statistics at the `Gabba for the last five years. Including Test Matches.

201 overs, 26 wickets @ 20.42, RR @ 2.64, S/R @ 46.38.

Not heaps bad. Do I dare to find out his SCG average, which I believe to be as good?

EDIT: Hell no. But he`s taken 7/4 before, and outbowled Lee, McGrath and Clark in the second-innings of his last match there.
EDITEDIT: In Australia`s last Test at the SCG against South Africa, it was overcast for all five days. Australia picked MacGill, and he was very unpenetrative, taking only cheap second innings wickets as South Africa looked to declare. Bracken for Brisbane and Sydney. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

benchmark00

Bracken won't play test cricket again.

In front of him:

McGrath
Lee
Johnson
Clark
Gillespie
Kasper

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Johnson has an extremely good record at the `Gabba in comparison to his rubbish record almost everywhere else. Clark does not normally bowl well at the `Gabba, often not taking more than five wickets for the match.

benchmark00

dontcloseyoureyes said:
Johnson, Gillespie and Kasper shouldn't be in front of him.
Whether you agree or not, they are in the slectors eyes.

I personally think all three should. Johnson's our best seaming prospect comfortably.

benchmark00

Haha I can't believe people are even suggesting Bracken for another test berth, If he plays again I'll support South Africa.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What's he proven though? At least Bracken has yards on him. It's plain obvious that Gillespie is past it, and unless can get back the 10kph he suddenly lost, he's history. If Kasper keeps taking bucketloads of FC wickets then maybe, but at the moment he's injured.

Johnson took some wickets on a helpful pitch after it rained. Sure, they were good, but he's been blasted in nearly every other international game he played. Even took some stick against the Bangas, before getting some late wickets. All the while Bracken has a proven FC record in Australia (especially at the GABBA and the SCG) and has more than shown he is the goods in OD cricket. I fail to see why they can't do horses for courses and slot Bracken in at the grounds that will make hima dangerous prospect.

benchmark00

dontcloseyoureyes said:
What's he proven though? At least Bracken has yards on him. It's plain obvious that Gillespie is past it, and unless can get back the 10kph he suddenly lost, he's history. If Kasper keeps taking bucketloads of FC wickets then maybe, but at the moment he's injured.

Johnson took some wickets on a helpful pitch after it rained. Sure, they were good, but he's been blasted in nearly every other international game he played. Even took some stick against the Bangas, before getting some late wickets. All the while Bracken has a proven FC record in Australia (especially at the GABBA and the SCG) and has more than shown he is the goods in OD cricket. I fail to see why they can't do horses for courses and slot Bracken in at the grounds that will make hima dangerous prospect.
Brackens record at the SCG is poor, to sort that out.

He'll be nothing more than an above average one day bowler, and that's coming from someone who likes Bracken, but I'm being realistic. Johnson had an awesome first class season last year and should be above Bracken.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
An above average one day bowler, with one of the best ODI bowling records in history?

A top FC season doesn't mean he should be playing test cricket. Bracken's had numerous top seasons in the Pura Cup, as well as taking wickets at around 20 for the Australian OD side.

In any case, he wouldn't be in my starting XI anyway. MacGill should be there for all five tests, I just don't think that those three (two of which are pretty much past it, and one, despiute being a hot prospect, has less FC cricket under his belt than Gelman) should be ahead of someone with an ODI record like his. Especially considering his form of late.

benchmark00

dontcloseyoureyes said:
An above average one day bowler, with one of the best ODI bowling records in history?

A top FC season doesn't mean he should be playing test cricket. Bracken's had numerous top seasons in the Pura Cup, as well as taking wickets at around 20 for the Australian OD side.

In any case, he wouldn't be in my starting XI anyway. MacGill should be there for all five tests, I just don't think that those three (two of which are pretty much past it, and one, despiute being a hot prospect, has less FC cricket under his belt than Gelman) should be ahead of someone with an ODI record like his. Especially considering his form of late.
Johnsons form of late is superior to Brackens. Opinions are pretty much pointless here, because it's a fact that Bracken isn't anywhere in the selectors thinking for test matches.

Anyways, you're right, MacGill should play all five tests, no questions asked.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Bracken - last time bowled at the `Gabba.

OD: 4/15 off 6.2. Took batsmen 2, 3, 9, 10 (Symonds, Hopes, Hartley)
FC: 8/81 off 40.2. (Match figures) Took batsmen 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (Maher twice, Symonds, Perren)
ODI: 3/44 off 10. Took batsmen 1, 3, 5 (Jayasuriya, Attapatu)
Test: 4/48 off 16. Took batsmen 4, 5, 8, 9 (Lara, Chanderpaul)
20/20 Int: 2/9 off 3. Took batsmen 2, 3 (Dippenaar, Gibbs)

I really don`t want to sleep. I don`t care that these stats are biased and mean nothing. I feel better.

benchmark00

Nnanden said:
Bracken - last time bowled at the `Gabba.

OD: 4/15 off 6.2. Took batsmen 2, 3, 9, 10 (Symonds, Hopes, Hartley)
FC: 8/81 off 40.2. (Match figures) Took batsmen 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (Maher twice, Symonds, Perren)
ODI: 3/44 off 10. Took batsmen 1, 3, 5 (Jayasuriya, Attapatu)
Test: 4/48 off 16. Took batsmen 4, 5, 8, 9 (Lara, Chanderpaul)
20/20 Int: 2/9 off 3. Took batsmen 2, 3 (Dippenaar, Gibbs)

I really don`t want to sleep. I don`t care that these stats are biased and mean nothing. I feel better.
****, fair dinkum, most pointless stats. Johnson in the Pura Cup final took a 10 fa on a road at the GABBA. Isolated stats are meaningless.