• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Tour Games

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
social said:
Pedro Delgado said:
I agree, they'll get used to the pace and bounce (hopefully) just as touring teams have to get used to the swinging ball over here.

Not even sure if Tait will play a Test either.[/QUOTE

It wasnt a quick or bouncy pitch by any stretch of the imagination and none of the bowlers overdid the short stuff.

The shots of Strauss, Cook and KP were just poor - the first 2 didnt move their feet at all whilst KP lunged onto the front foot and then tried to hook
Fair enough, I managed to see the Tres and Cook dismissals but was asleep by the rest tbh. What are you saying, that these English batsmen can't bat? Seems to me that some had an off day/played a daft shot, not to mention some good quick bowling from Tait and others. It's the first match there, we tend to start slowly, these things happen.

Remember Somerset? Supposedly an embarrassing defeat, didn't seem to bother Aus at Lord's. If we lose by an innings at the Gabba, with batters getting out cheaply hooking then I'll worry, but not after a limited-overs warm up game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pedro Delgado said:
social said:
Fair enough, I managed to see the Tres and Cook dismissals but was asleep by the rest tbh. What are you saying, that these English batsmen can't bat? Seems to me that some had an off day/played a daft shot, not to mention some good quick bowling from Tait and others. It's the first match there, we tend to start slowly, these things happen.

Remember Somerset? Supposedly an embarrassing defeat, didn't seem to bother Aus at Lord's. If we lose by an innings at the Gabba, with batters getting out cheaply hooking then I'll worry, but not after a limited-overs warm up game.
Obviously they can bat

It was an off day but if they play with the technique showed today, there'll be plenty more

Freddie and KP are a worry - they are flattered by the short boundaries in Eng and had better learn to hit some balls on the ground

BTW, Somerset was an accurate reflection of how the OZ bowlers performed for the whole series

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
S Tait - a dead set enigma. Mixes a profuson of wides & no balls with jaffas. Seriously rapid though.
Mahmood does the same only he mixes his wides and no balls with utter tripe.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't think todays result can be simply dismissed it wasn't a one off and despite the test series win against Pakistan we're not in good form.

http://www.cricketweb.net/article.php?CategoryIDAuto=1&NewsIDAuto=2715

Australia have revealed plans to target Andrew Flintoff, as they believe it could bring down the rest of the England side.

Australian captain Ricky Ponting said of the strategy: "He's such a vital part of their side, if you happen to keep him down for a few Test matches in a row or a few performances here and there, it might drag a couple of their other players down with him."

It is almost tradition for Australia to target opposing captains, to weaken the rest of the side, but if they succeed it will hurt this England team more than most. Flintoff will be leading the side as well as playing a large role with bat and ball, all after recovering from ankle surgery...

What crap when they start to talk about targeting, are they just going to try less against the other batsmen and bowlers?

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Haha, Mahmood, I remember when I saw him bowl for Lancashire a few years ago and thinking he had some talent.. I remember him then playing for England and realizing I was a total fool, yet he's still playing.. If he starts in Brisbane the results could be even more brutal than they were last time England went..

Woodster

International Captain
I may be wrong but I still think Mahmood has a big part to play in the series. OK he was bludgeoned to most parts against PM's XI and the quality of opposition is only going to get stronger but so is he.
He settles better in the longer version of the game, and is capable of removing the very best batsmen. He needs to sort the no-ball situation out and crank up his pace, which he undoubtedly will, then he can start to get the Aussies jumping around a bit.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pedro Delgado said:
Hoggy is more your conventional swinger, doesn't reverse it much.
True but he has learned to do it well recently, in India he was reversing it brilliantly, so along with Freddie & Mahmood (if he plays regularly) if it reverses in the tests similar to what we saw this morning they will be the go too men.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Daily Mail’s hyperbole article which was seemingly bemoaning the lack of talent coming through in Australian cricket now seems ever so relevant.
8-)

Got are asses well and truly handed to us and what was most disconcerting was the batting, bowling was ****e but to be expected. Lancashire’s finest Mahmood and Anderson did nothing in India to suggest otherwise but getting rolled out so easily to an attack which was not overly strong was embarrassing, considering the wicket. Shaun Tait bowled brilliantly however, action looks different to last year as well, more round arm to my eyes but boy does he get a good lick from a pretty short and economical run up.

Also how hard does Travis Birt hit the ball? watched him in the summer on Sky and he ****ing murders it. Though I was not surprised to see Jaques in the runs, those bottom handed biffs were at a plenty when he went El Loco at the Oval back in May.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
That was piss poor, particularly at the death by England.

Mind you, the least team to do well against Australia in Australia was India, and they didn't have a good time of the practice matches either. They didn't play the Prime Minister's XI if my memory serves me correct, but they were fairly ordinary against Victoria and Queensland Academy of Sport. Think they played against Aus A as well, but that was after their Adelaide win. Needless to say there weren't any good then too.

That being said, England weren't just ordinary today, they were really really bad. Lost the match convincingly and the worst thing was how bad Anderson bowled at the death there. Mahmood just isn't good enough at this stage in his career really, but Anderson was really bad. Guess he's a little underdone but he better get 'done' by the time the 1st test comes around.

Should have also at least batted out the 50 overs.
His ‘Gun’ no?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Trescothick to claim the stress-related virus has returned in 5...4...3...
Wonder what odds Paddy Power would give you in the novelty bet that Trescothick cries wolf and leaves the test series before it has finished?

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
Good to see Marsh get some runs - that guy should be one of our premier batsmen in a few years if he can stay fit.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
They selected a very good side in regards to national ambitions for Australia. Apart from the traditional Canberra selection in Ritchard and Dorey, who I can't see getting another chance for Aus with Bracken, Johnson and now Hilfenhaus all being able to perform the same role, the rest could all play for Australia (again) at some stage.

A few people were bagging out Voges earlier in the thread, England are lucky he didn't cut loose as well because I reckon he is the most brutal of the lot of them. It's a pity the "A" side doesn't get a 4 day tour match against England to humiliate them some more. Haddin and Thornley are both out of the NSW match which leaves them very light on with the bat.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
What time does the Engand V NSW start? Anyone know if it is on fivelive sportsextra?

GMT London time I mean.