• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Ashes Songs vs Barmy Army

groovyboozy

Cricket Spectator
I'm an aussie, but when it comes to support, the english kill us. The barmy army is the best supporter group there is.

Trouble is that they will turn an Australian ground to an english sounding ground if efforts aren't made my aussie supporters to increase their vocal presence.

Aussie aussie aussie oi oi oi is old, C'mon aussie c'mon is lame and we have nothing else. Accordingly, there is a site here, to come up with and use (print the PDF) songs for the aussies. Email new songs or different words and we can come up with enough songs to give the barmy army some curry.

http://www.freewebs.com/ashesaussiesongs

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Gun idea for mine. Problem is, the English embarrass themselves and don`t care.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
You guys don't have Jerusalem, you're behind the 8-ball already. That song sends a shiver up the spine when it's sung in the stands. It got at least 8 renditions at the Oval on the day we won the Ashes, plus one in the streets outside and at least two at the victory celebrations the next day. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Last time the English were here, I sat in the middle of the Barmy Army, next to that guy with the long white hair who I think is pretty high up in it. Awesome day. However,
Benchmark00 said:
How does their skin handle the sun? Would've thought it would burn a hole through them.
... this does provide almost as much humour as their chants.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
vic_orthdox said:
Last time the English were here, I sat in the middle of the Barmy Army, next to that guy with the long white hair who I think is pretty high up in it. Awesome day. However,
... this does provide almost as much humour as their chants.
I was pictured in a national newspaper over here sitting behind him at the Oval. They took a photo of him standing up and waving his flag, and you could clearly see me right behind him. :cool:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ah Jimmy Saville, he was a few rows in front of me at OT, they hand out song books and the like.

See the NSW premier was writing to Tony Blair because he's worried about English hooligans after watching the football WC. :raised eyes smiley:

The Vic police chief said he's more worried about local fans

groovyboozy

Cricket Spectator
Jerusla-who cares? You don't have it anymore and you forget that we aren't the English. The songs that mean something to you, probably mean nothing to us.

It'd be like us telling the Barmy Army to do Khe Sanh or Working Class Man.

Site updated:

I do agree the Aussies won't outsing the English, but hopefully sheer weight of numbers and little more than the normal effort will mean that we won't lose home ground advantage.

groovyboozy

Cricket Spectator
Who said we were all convicts you ******?!

I for one are first generation australian of Anglo-Indian descent, my Grandfather having emigrated from India to England, having kids and figuring out that a small, cold island housing a former empire that has imploded isn't the place to raise a family or secure a future, came to Australia with his family. To boot, he was grandson of the Raj in his province. A far cry from the "convicts" you purport Australians to be. In my work, amongst 5 people, only one is more than first generation Australian, and of the balance, only half are even of complete English/Irish descent and 2 are bilingual as a result. Go home, you antiquated ****, that sort of mentality has no place in the 21st century, only the 19th.:laugh:

groovyboozy

Cricket Spectator
Another forum i saw put it best "Only the English would be stupid enough to send their petty convicts to live in a country better than their own". I'd add that, only the english would also let the better members of their society continue to leave now. Given how tough immigration is....

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Barney Rubble said:
You guys don't have Jerusalem, you're behind the 8-ball already. That song sends a shiver up the spine when it's sung in the stands. It got at least 8 renditions at the Oval on the day we won the Ashes, plus one in the streets outside and at least two at the victory celebrations the next day. :D
But Jerusalem's in Israel mate.......

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
See, I'm more of the opinion that it's no use embarrassing ourselves trying. We won't be as good, so you just sit there and laugh at what the Barmy Army has to say.

And throw bottles at the Fanatics (if you're in the outer).

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
groovyboozy said:
Another forum i saw put it best "Only the English would be stupid enough to send their petty convicts to live in a country better than their own". I'd add that, only the english would also let the better members of their society continue to leave now. Given how tough immigration is....
You're going to be a barrel of laughs at the Tests.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
groovyboozy said:
Another forum i saw put it best "Only the English would be stupid enough to send their petty convicts to live in a country better than their own".
Tbf, it can't be that great if it has ****s like you.

groovyboozy

Cricket Spectator
I'm not a ****, I just get fired up when people call me a convict and say I live in a convict country. I'm not a convict, hell I'm not even of full anglo-celtic descent and it riles me when people make racial stereotypes about a country's inhabitants, something that even I haven't done in my (usually) light hearted banter about the barmy army.

Making convict jokes, is like a parent (of which the English originally were) telling their 30 year old kid not to pee their pants because they did when they were 3. It's a stupid mentality.

My mother is English, love the English as a rule, but support the Aussies. Even my French/Hungarian/Italian descent wife likes the English. They have history, however, they don't appreciate it.

The majority of immigrants today, come from either Asia (because they have good amounts of money, are highly educated and are a credit to themselves and multiculturalism as a whole) or New Zealand (either Maori, Samoan or Scots-descent kiwis). In the past it was Mediterranean countries, who are also hardworking and made a better life.

I'm always English, Irish, Indian, Portuguese and Roma at heart, but this country gave my family somewhere to live and hope for a better life and for that I'll be forever thankful. So when you make comments about "convict colony" or whatever and I fire up (and flame), don't turn around and call me a ****, because you can't stick the boot into someone and then expect them not to react. That's poor cricket.

Last edited: