• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

McGrath could play in 2009 Ashes

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Next he will come out with plans to say he'll still be in the side when he's 80. Puttering in with the same run up and bowling "faster than ever."

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
crickhowell said:
Next he will come out with plans to say he'll still be in the side when he's 80. Puttering in with the same run up and bowling "faster than ever."
Think about McGrath is that he doesn't rely on pace, as much as accuracy, so bowling at 40 is not out of the question. Unlikely perhaps, but not beyond the realm of possibility.

Also, as Goughy mentioned in another thread, he generates a large amount of his pace with his arm rather than other parts of his body, so its likely that he can keep it up for longer without as much wear and tear.

Goughy can probably explain that better.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
It's funny that Shane Warne said the same thing....I think they know the Aussie bowling cupboard is bare without them and in 2009 they'll probably still be the best bowlers in Australia and will be needed to make that series a contest.:laugh:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poker Boy said:
It's funny that Shane Warne said the same thing....I think they know the Aussie bowling cupboard is bare without them and in 2009 they'll probably still be the best bowlers in Australia and will be needed to make that series a contest.:laugh:
...?

Worst post, dead set.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
James said:
Sounds to me like he's trying to gloss over question marks over his fitness for this year's series. Personally I'd be delighted if he's still one of Aus' best three quicks when he's 40.

Warne's another matter, although quite what shape his shoulder will be in by 2009 is questionable.

howardj

International Coach
McGrath is on the ropes.

From what I saw, he failed to bowl one 130km+ delivery tonight.

Far from playing in the 2009 Ashes series, I reckon he'll battle to see out this Ashes series.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
howardj said:
McGrath is on the ropes.

From what I saw, he failed to bowl one 130km+ delivery tonight.

Far from playing in the 2009 Ashes series, I reckon he'll battle to see out this Ashes series.
But McGrath's main strength is accuracy and bounce, not pace, so I reckon he'll be a key man in this Ashes series, if not 2009. I noticed he was first change today - they did that in the '99 WC and it was a disaster.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Poker Boy said:
But McGrath's main strength is accuracy and bounce, not pace,.
You still need a certain amount of pace though, for the accuracy and bounce to be threatening.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Tend to agree with HowardJ on this one.

Although I'm not going to write McGrath off, I did that once before and he made me look like an idiot.

He was very poor last night, and if he doesn't at least bowl at 130 against England he's going to struggle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
serious though guys, its a bit early to be questioning McGrath just yet, in malyasia he came back and was very good and his figures were good in the warm-up games in the CT. Yes he didn't go past 80 MPH but as jack said said a lot of bowlers weren't clocked that high i think Lee was the high 80's for the majority of the time. I say lets see how McGrath goes for this entire tournament before we judge.