• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smith issues warning to Flintoff

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's what I can't work out. Leaving racist abuse aside because no one should tolerate it, why is everyone so worried about having cr*p put on them by Aussie crowds compared with others around the world? No one has a moan (except Langer) about the Barmy Army's chants against the Aussies - you just go out and get on with it.
There is talk out here this year that the Aussie crowds may be warming up to give some back to the Army - anyone heard anything along those lines?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Burgey said:
That's what I can't work out. Leaving racist abuse aside because no one should tolerate it, why is everyone so worried about having cr*p put on them by Aussie crowds compared with others around the world? No one has a moan (except Langer) about the Barmy Army's chants against the Aussies - you just go out and get on with it.
There is talk out here this year that the Aussie crowds may be warming up to give some back to the Army - anyone heard anything along those lines?
I was not aware that the Barmy Army chanted racist sayings against someone like Gillespie, for example?

That would be news to me.

Burgey

Sorry, the post probably wasn't as clear as I meant it to be.

What I meant was, leaving aside racist abuse which is intolerable, all crowds have a lash at opposing players. Smith's coments were mainly about the racial stuff but also referred to the media and crowd being on the backs of visiting teams. Smith copped plenty out here but it was mostly because of his own comments coming back to bite him on the proverbial.

It happens everywhere - one only has to look at the Warne chants and the reports in the English media about his private life and his weight. You can't have a laugh at that then turn around and be offended if the Aussie crowds made fun of the English players, was what I was trying to say. The English fans couldn't, without a fair degree of hypocrisy, complain about the crowd giving it to, for example, Tres. re his personal life if they're prepared to yell "Where's your missus gone?" to Warne.

On the racial abuse thing, I've had the misfortune to hear it at the SCG from time to time over the years. Apart from being offensive, it's embarrasing to hear someone wearing your country's supporter shirt yelling it out. At least CA's trying to do something about it, but when you live in a country that makes any refugees who arrive here be taken off shore straight away for processing, what do you expect?

BTW, I don't think anyone was saying there were racist "chants" out here last year. And for what it's worth, comments about convicts might be taken to be racist by some, though not me - I think they're just pretty funny.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Burgey said:
BTW, I don't think anyone was saying there were racist "chants" out here last year. And for what it's worth, comments about convicts might be taken to be racist by some, though not me - I think they're just pretty funny.

Racist? As in involving race? I was not aware that there was a 'race' of convited felons? Thats like anti-muslim chants being called 'racial' chants. Its totally different. Plus, calling an Aussie a convict is taken as lighthearted jape by almost all the Aussies I have talked to. I want you to find five people who find the term 'n*gger' to be a lighthearted jape.

Burgey

Well mate, no one is saying it is a light-hearted jape ffs.

That is my point. Some people do find the convict thing offensive because they see it as an insinuation that Australians are a race of convicts. I'm not saying they'e right and I'm not saying you can compare the two because they are, in my view, completely separate and not even in the same ball park.

In fact, what I am trying to illustrate is the deliniation between racial abuse and other abuse by fans. That's the whole point. For the third time now, leaving aside racial abuse you can't whinge about supporters giving a hard time to your players when your supporters get their kicks yelling out to other players about their separating from their wives, their weight or whatever else goes on in their private lives.

Edit: And why on Earth do you want me to find those 5 people? Shan't be doing that I'm afraid - you won't find them. You seem to be suggesting that I'm somehow insinuating that the two are comparable and making light of the things said to the Saffers last year. I'm not. I think we're at cross-purposes here. I trust you're not suggesting that I'm excusing racial abuse because that's not so.

Anyway, hadn't heard "jape" for a long time - good word. Will store it away for future use - with appropriate approbation and acknowledgment of course.

Last edited:

Slow Love™

International Captain
silentstriker said:
I was not aware that the Barmy Army chanted racist sayings against someone like Gillespie, for example?

How did we get to this from what Burgey said?

Anyhow, as to the question asked - I don't think the Aussie crowds have the composing abilities to duke it out with the Barmy Army. About the best ditty we have is the "sit down" one. Heard that one, Burgey? ;)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Anyway, hadn't heard "jape" for a long time - good word. Will store it away for future use - with appropriate approbation and acknowledgment of course.
Not used enough IMO.

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
Slow Love™ said:
How did we get to this from what Burgey said?

Anyhow, as to the question asked - I don't think the Aussie crowds have the composing abilities to duke it out with the Barmy Army. About the best ditty we have is the "sit down" one. Heard that one, Burgey? ;)
Yeah I agree we more concentrate on the girls at the cricket "**** out for the boys" usually comes up quite often from Bay 13 of the mighty G.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Burgey said:
....? What language do you speak in convict-land? :dry:

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
An Aussie being called a convict is the same as an Englishman being called a Pom, a New Zealander being called a ram rooter, an Indian being called raghead, yes?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Burgey said:
The English fans couldn't, without a fair degree of hypocrisy, complain about the crowd giving it to, for example, Tres. re his personal life if they're prepared to yell "Where's your missus gone?" to Warne.
Probably because one courts publicity and is always in the news for one thing or another mostly his own fault) whereas the other is a very private person.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
SirBloody Idiot said:
An Aussie being called a convict is the same as an Englishman being called a Pom, a New Zealander being called a ram rooter, an Indian being called raghead, yes?
I can't speak to 'ram rooter' as thats the first I've heard of it, but raghead is not like being called a Pom or Convict.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Burgey said:
That's what I can't work out. Leaving racist abuse aside because no one should tolerate it, why is everyone so worried about having cr*p put on them by Aussie crowds compared with others around the world?
Please note that the filter is there for a reason - please do not go around it in future. Thanks. :)

Loony BoB

International Captain
Ha. Never mind then, I guess!

I need to bug James for some kind of list of words currently being filtered.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
silentstriker said:

The Gillespie thing was definitely not racist chanting. He copped a lot of "Pikey" & "Where's your caravan" stuff because of his long, greasy hair; nothing to do with his being 1/16th Aboriginal or whatever he is. Until he made it known I (& I imagine most English cricket fans) had absolutely no idea he was anything other than 100% white.

Paul Walsh (ex Tottenham & Liverpool footballer) who was white & blonde used to get exactly the same chants becuase he shared the greasy bemulleted look with Dizzy.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
SirBloody Idiot said:

No.

You shout that and you're next to me, it's goodnight.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Burgey said:
Quite right! I haven't heard any English players getting woyked up about it - just Grahame Smith who can talk the talk but can't walk the walk! And all fans do it - when Graham Thorpe had marriage problems in 2002 NZ fans chanted "15-love" at him(his wife was seeing a guy who was working with Tim Henman at the time). Banter isn't the problem - its idiots throwing things that's the real problem (doesn't that happen to Aussie fielders in NZ)?

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
it's all a load of ******** this racism stuff. I can't remember anyone complaining in the last decade except for the south africans...and the words that were thrown around were something like "k**** b**"...which was something directed at white south africans for supporting the black people in their own country. These words mean nothing to australians...I bet no one had ever even heard it before the accusations were made....it's in another language for gods sake. it was south african expats and unless someone can prove otherwise then stop making these accusations. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if it was just one of Smith's feeble attempts to take the pressure off his own bad performances.

The fact is most of the south african's that have moved to australia have moved for the same reasons KP left south africa - they don't like thier black government. It's that simple. If you talk to any white south african that lives in australia and shift the conversation towards south african politics, you will soon realise that these are very racist people indeed.

But even if there has been the odd person receive a misguided remark, it doesn't happen any more here than it does anywhere else in the world. I have never witnessed it in the 16 years i've had my WACA membership, and I bet I don't see any this year either. But to take one or two isolated events and then label all australians racist....is well, pretty dam racist.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
valvolux said:
it's all a load of ******** this racism stuff. I can't remember anyone complaining in the last decade except for the south africans...and the words that were thrown around were something like "k**** b**"...which was something directed at white south africans for supporting the black people in their own country. These words mean nothing to australians...I bet no one had ever even heard it before the accusations were made....it's in another language for gods sake. it was south african expats and unless someone can prove otherwise then stop making these accusations. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if it was just one of Smith's feeble attempts to take the pressure off his own bad performances.

The fact is most of the south african's that have moved to australia have moved for the same reasons KP left south africa - they don't like thier black government. It's that simple. If you talk to any white south african that lives in australia and shift the conversation towards south african politics, you will soon realise that these are very racist people indeed.

But even if there has been the odd person receive a misguided remark, it doesn't happen any more here than it does anywhere else in the world. I have never witnessed it in the 16 years i've had my WACA membership, and I bet I don't see any this year either. But to take one or two isolated events and then label all australians racist....is well, pretty dam racist.
No one labeled all, or a majority, of Aussies racist. But, by all accounts, it does seem to happen a lot more there than almost anywhere else. Make of that what you will.