Thread: Australian Conditions - The Difference?

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?

Australian Conditions - The Difference?

A quick scan through the English squad shows minimal experience in Australian conditions. For the purpose of accuracy, I've excluded the ICC World XI because it wasn't a proper 'tour'.

Bats
    M Trescothick 5 matches @ 26.10

Bowlers
    S Harmison 5 matches @ 42.76
    M Hoggard 3 matches @ 62.50
    A Giles 1 match @ 31.83

I know they're much better players now and that was a long time ago, yadda yadda, but I thought it was worth acknowledging that they're hardly glowing statistics.

The point of this thread is to point out and provoke discussion on the topic of variables which (possibly) will play a major factor in the Ashes.

First of all, pitch conditions. In England pitches are realtively conducive to seamers, with overhead conditions aiding movement in the air and tracks are normally produced with a little bit of juice underneath the surface. In Australia, you generally find hard, fast, flat and bouncy wickets. With the possible exceptions of the SCG and the GABBA, pitches are belters to bat on, even the WACA providing good batting conditions if you adapt to the bounce.

Secondly, and a factor that I'm facinated in, the ball used. How much of a factor will the Kookaburra ball be? The Englishmen are used to bowling with the Duke pill, where the seam is exaggerated and generally provides extra help for the seamers. Will the Englishmen be able to handle it considering the flat nature of the wickets? Before anyone says, I know this won't be the first time the Englishmen have used Kookaburra balls, but nevertheless, it will be interesting.

The last point I'd point I'd like to discuss, before throwing it over to you chumps, is the issue of crowd and public expectation. IMO this is one factor that definately favours the Englishmen, as I know all of the Australian crowds will have massive expectations on the Australian outfit because we're used to overwhelming success on our home soil.

Thoughts, discussion?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar
    MacGill will have a huge series, if he gets a game. He's just born to bowl at Poms. Many on this forum would remember his 12-fer in Sydney in 1999.
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's gonna be a big factor, no doubt. That said I wouldn't think all our team is totally unfamiliar with Oz conditions; Collingwood & Cook have both played grade cricket & (famously) Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper.

Of our seamers, only really Hoggy is (more or less) reliant on movement. Fred, Saj & Harmy will all enjoy the extra bounce.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    It's gonna be a big factor, no doubt. That said I wouldn't think all our team is totally unfamiliar with Oz conditions; Collingwood & Cook have both played grade cricket & (famously) Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper.

Of our seamers, only really Hoggy is (more or less) reliant on movement. Fred, Saj & Harmy will all enjoy the extra bounce.
    Which may well lead to an interesting call at some stage - Hoggy, Saj or Anderson? This may come back to haunt me, but I get the impression that Mahmood is on the verge of a serious breakthrough at this level. He has most of the required attributes and, AFAICS, seems to have the desire. OTOH I do worry how Hoggy will go out there, especially given his form for most of our summer.

Saj to get carried away with the extra bounce. You heard it here first.

Quote Originally Posted by LongHopCassidy
    MacGill will have a huge series, if he gets a game. He's just born to bowl at Poms. Many on this forum would remember his 12-fer in Sydney in 1999.
    I also remember him getting lots of tap last time England were here.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Saj to get carried away with the extra bounce. You heard it here first.
    Hopefully not like Tudor was last time after Lee floored him.

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    A big thing in our favour is that so few of the English mob have played enough in Australia.
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Thread Information