• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Conditions - The Difference?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A quick scan through the English squad shows minimal experience in Australian conditions. For the purpose of accuracy, I've excluded the ICC World XI because it wasn't a proper 'tour'.

Bats
M Trescothick 5 matches @ 26.10

Bowlers
S Harmison 5 matches @ 42.76
M Hoggard 3 matches @ 62.50
A Giles 1 match @ 31.83

I know they're much better players now and that was a long time ago, yadda yadda, but I thought it was worth acknowledging that they're hardly glowing statistics.

The point of this thread is to point out and provoke discussion on the topic of variables which (possibly) will play a major factor in the Ashes.

First of all, pitch conditions. In England pitches are realtively conducive to seamers, with overhead conditions aiding movement in the air and tracks are normally produced with a little bit of juice underneath the surface. In Australia, you generally find hard, fast, flat and bouncy wickets. With the possible exceptions of the SCG and the GABBA, pitches are belters to bat on, even the WACA providing good batting conditions if you adapt to the bounce.

Secondly, and a factor that I'm facinated in, the ball used. How much of a factor will the Kookaburra ball be? The Englishmen are used to bowling with the Duke pill, where the seam is exaggerated and generally provides extra help for the seamers. Will the Englishmen be able to handle it considering the flat nature of the wickets? Before anyone says, I know this won't be the first time the Englishmen have used Kookaburra balls, but nevertheless, it will be interesting.

The last point I'd point I'd like to discuss, before throwing it over to you chumps, is the issue of crowd and public expectation. IMO this is one factor that definately favours the Englishmen, as I know all of the Australian crowds will have massive expectations on the Australian outfit because we're used to overwhelming success on our home soil.

Thoughts, discussion?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
MacGill will have a huge series, if he gets a game. He's just born to bowl at Poms. Many on this forum would remember his 12-fer in Sydney in 1999.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's gonna be a big factor, no doubt. That said I wouldn't think all our team is totally unfamiliar with Oz conditions; Collingwood & Cook have both played grade cricket & (famously) Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper.

Of our seamers, only really Hoggy is (more or less) reliant on movement. Fred, Saj & Harmy will all enjoy the extra bounce.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
It's gonna be a big factor, no doubt. That said I wouldn't think all our team is totally unfamiliar with Oz conditions; Collingwood & Cook have both played grade cricket & (famously) Strauss spent 18 months in Melbourne as a nipper.

Of our seamers, only really Hoggy is (more or less) reliant on movement. Fred, Saj & Harmy will all enjoy the extra bounce.
Which may well lead to an interesting call at some stage - Hoggy, Saj or Anderson? This may come back to haunt me, but I get the impression that Mahmood is on the verge of a serious breakthrough at this level. He has most of the required attributes and, AFAICS, seems to have the desire. OTOH I do worry how Hoggy will go out there, especially given his form for most of our summer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
LongHopCassidy said:
MacGill will have a huge series, if he gets a game. He's just born to bowl at Poms. Many on this forum would remember his 12-fer in Sydney in 1999.
I also remember him getting lots of tap last time England were here.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
A big thing in our favour is that so few of the English mob have played enough in Australia.