• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I'm dissappointed with England, 5-0 - McGrath

Laurrz

International Debutant
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Glenn McGrath is at it again, proclaiming Australia will win the forthcoming Ashes series 5-0 despite being left red-faced after the same prediction 18 months ago in England.

McGrath, who is continuing his return to action after taking time out of the game to care for his wife, refused to concede any chance for England in the series that starts on November 23 in Brisbane.

"I reckon it will be 5-0 this time, as well,'' he said in the Mail on Sunday. "To say anything else would be negative. If we're going to win 2-1, or 3-2, which games are we going to lose?'' Last time around he said rain would be the only factor that would stop Australia winning all five Tests.

Now he says he is disappointed at the current England side, claiming that they are a lesser unit than during the last Ashes series when Michael Vaughan, Simon Jones and Ashley Giles - who have since had long-term injuries - played crucial roles. He also claims that it was his injuries in the last series, which forced him to miss Australia's two defeats at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge, which were the deciding issue.

"England are not as strong as they were last year,'' he added. "But Australia are a lot stronger. And I'm fit, unlike last time. Put it this way, in the three Tests I played in last time, we drew two and won one.

"England are not the same team as they were. I'm disappointed in them. I expected them to kick on after beating us and conquer the world but it just goes to show how losing players through injury can unsettle the side.''

Typically, McGrath then proceeded to dissect the England team and pinpoint where he believes they will struggle during the series. "Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones are huge losses for them. There are doubts over the fitness of Freddie Flintoff, Steve Harmison and Ashley Giles, while things are not too good for Marcus Trescothick.

"They have new guys who have done well but have never played in the Ashes series, let alone one in Australia. We'll see how the likes of Alastair Cook get on down here and we'll try and open up old wounds with Ian Bell."

To round off his blow-by-blow account of the opposition he downplayed the problems Australia could face from Kevin Pietersen and Monty Panesar, who both played vital roles for England during their series win against Pakistan.

"Pietersen will find a second season in international cricket is always harder than the first and I'm sure our batsmen will plan to get after Monty Panesar. As for me, I'll be paying attention to their openers, and to their new boys.''

The contest between McGrath and England's batsmen will start before the opening Test at Brisbane after he revealed he'll be lining up for New South Wales, who play England in a warm-up match at the SCG starting on November 12.

"I'm going to the Champions Trophy at 75-80 percent and believe that by the time I play for New South Wales against England in the tour game before the first Test I'll be up to 90 percent.

"That should give me the perfect opportunity to fine-tune and be completely ready for the start of the Ashes."

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Predictable really.

Lucky to draw at Old Trafford and drawing the last test isn't something to shout about when you needed to win just to draw the series.

The rest is either obvious or just pure conjecture.

pasag

RTDAS
He's saying what we're all thinking tbh. I'm not trying to stick it up anyone here, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I can't see England winning a single test.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
pasag said:
He's saying what we're all thinking tbh. I'm not trying to stick it up anyone here, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I can't see England winning a single test.
...and like other people have said, even the crap England teams managed to win a test, and this England team is a much better outfit than the horror shows of the past.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well he is right in that when he played, only two draws and one win for England.

He's the key, moreso than Warne even.

I will be supporting England, so I hope someone will put lots of balls on the ground in the field...otherwise I don't see England doing better than losing 3-1.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
He's got a point. If he doesn't think they are going to win them all, then what kind of player is he? You should always go into a test series, or any match for that matter, knowing you will win. Otherwise you've already lost.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Glenn McGrath is like the Bourbon kings of France....he's learnt nothing and forgotten nothing. All he's doing is firing up England..and if they couldn't beat England 5-0 when they were crap they won't when England are No 2 in the world. If I was Ponting I'd tell him to shut up and concentrate on his bowling.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hahaha people try to question McGrath. Have you forgotten he's the most successful pace bowler in the history of the game? What right do you minions have handing him advice? I'd suggest with a record like that he can do or say whatever the hell he wants, because he can back it up.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
As has been said these lads, including McGrath, all have a beer and a laugh after the games and although I agree he can and will say what he likes because he can back it up, he's admitted he has half a tongue in his cheek when he does the pre-series shenanigans.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
benchmark00 said:
Hahaha people try to question McGrath. Have you forgotten he's the most successful pace bowler in the history of the game? What right do you minions have handing him advice? I'd suggest with a record like that he can do or say whatever the hell he wants, because he can back it up.
Because his last prediction was spot on? I'll question him all I want because I too can do and say what I want. I won't question his cricketing ability or his achievements because a) it's unquestionable and b) he's an all time great cricketer but not psychic. Most of the time I'm guessing he's just having a laugh anyway, looking to get in peoples faces a bit.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
benchmark00 said:
Just because he's a champion bowler means he can say anything he wants and is above criticism? Not very logical.

Burgey

Never mind McGrath. What about Gatting's piece this morning as reported on Cricketweb's front page?

Apparently, because Kim Hughes (last played tests 1984-85) and Greg Ritchie (most famous for a pitch invasion in the West Indies in 1995 rather than anything he accomplished at the highest level) have come out and made comments about certain current Aussie players and their coach, there is disunity in the Australian camp!

What a load of BS. If current squad members were coming out and saying those things, well and good, but please. This is ridiculous - I think he's still getting over Old Trafford 1993.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Andrew Flintoff's the world's greatest player but you don't hear him making such sweeping statements - he obviously has the right to going by the logic that McGrath does. I know it's tongue-in-cheek, but really, it's quite boring. I doubt idiotic Aussie comments will act as motivation to England, because our players will probably not be listening. Yawn, snore, zzzz.

benchmark00

Dasa said:
Just because he's a champion bowler means he can say anything he wants and is above criticism? Not very logical.
Within reason and within the sections he has control over, yes. I'm not saying he can come out and say, for example, racist comments, that's just stupid. This sort of thing works for McGrath, and until it stops working, he can say whatever he wants. Look forward to him naming his bunnys for this series.