Cricket Player Manager
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: I'm dissappointed with England, 5-0 - McGrath

  1. #46
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Scmods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloucefan View Post
    Predictable really.

    Lucky to draw at Old Trafford and drawing the last test isn't something to shout about when you needed to win just to draw the series.

    The rest is either obvious or just pure conjecture.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    Meh, what did you expect? His disregard for his fellow professionals gets tedious after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    ...and like other people have said, even the crap England teams managed to win a test, and this England team is a much better outfit than the horror shows of the past.
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Glenn McGrath is like the Bourbon kings of France....he's learnt nothing and forgotten nothing. All he's doing is firing up England..and if they couldn't beat England 5-0 when they were crap they won't when England are No 2 in the world. If I was Ponting I'd tell him to shut up and concentrate on his bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Andrew Flintoff's the world's greatest player but you don't hear him making such sweeping statements - he obviously has the right to going by the logic that McGrath does. I know it's tongue-in-cheek, but really, it's quite boring. I doubt idiotic Aussie comments will act as motivation to England, because our players will probably not be listening. Yawn, snore, zzzz.
    Oh dear...
    Ashes to Ashes
    Dust to Dust
    If Pidge doesn't get you
    Warney must

  2. #47
    Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The Nest
    Posts
    8,427
    are there now any doubters left as to mcgraths powers of forsight?

  3. #48
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper868 View Post
    are there now any doubters left as to mcgraths powers of forsight?
    As has been said before, if you predict the same result every series, regardless of the circumstances, then the law of averages states that eventually you'll be right one day.

  4. #49
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    As has been said before, if you predict the same result every series, regardless of the circumstances, then the law of averages states that eventually you'll be right one day.
    to be fair, there is no law of averages which state that you will win/lose a series 5-0...this particular ashes scoreline repeated itself after 80 odd years, right? it's not like a toss of a coin where you always have a 50% chance of winning...


  5. #50
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    to be fair, there is no law of averages which state that you will win/lose a series 5-0...this particular ashes scoreline repeated itself after 80 odd years, right? it's not like a toss of a coin where you always have a 50% chance of winning...
    Maybe McGrath's been saying 5-0 for the last 80 years....he is pretty old, after all.

  6. #51
    Cricketer Of The Year Anil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Tattooine
    Posts
    9,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble View Post
    Maybe McGrath's been saying 5-0 for the last 80 years....he is pretty old, after all.
    are you saying a possibly 80+ year old just beat you 5-0? not a good thing to admit to you know....

  7. #52
    Cricket Spectator
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    25
    My favourite is the one about Flintoff being the world's greatest player. Flintoff - can't bat, bowl, field or captain. All round useless. One series doesn't make a player great....but one series can really make a player look ordinary.

    Back off on McGrath - I can't remember him making any predictions other than for the 2005 and 2006 ashes. His predictions are more often than not about who he's going to target...and 99% of the time he nails his man.

    Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.
    Last edited by valvolux; 05-01-2007 at 10:29 PM.

  8. #53
    Hall of Fame Member grecian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    RIP
    Posts
    15,732
    Quote Originally Posted by valvolux View Post
    My favourite is the one about Flintoff being the world's greatest player. Flintoff - can't bat, bowl, field or captain. All round useless. One series doesn't make a player great....but one series can really make a player look ordinary.

    Back off on McGrath - I can't remember him making any predictions other than for the 2005 and 2006 ashes. His predictions are more often than not about who he's going to target...and 99% of the time he nails his man.

    Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.
    Thanks mate, hard to take any positives out of this series, but the fact you support the other side, is giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

  9. #54
    International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    All over the shop
    Posts
    10,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    are you saying a possibly 80+ year old just beat you 5-0? not a good thing to admit to you know....
    Haha, erm.......uh......*runs*

  10. #55
    International Captain Dravid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,096
    @ all those that doubted McGrath

  11. #56
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by valvolux View Post
    Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.
    Nah, I don't know where you got the 4-0, 4-1 thing from. And McGrath made the 5-0 comment before the series started. The main point though is that it wasn't so much an arrogant dismissal of England's ability as a statement of his positive attitude towards every match. He believed that he and the other Australian players should accept nothing less than winning every game.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  12. #57
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by valvolux View Post
    My favourite is the one about Flintoff being the world's greatest player. Flintoff - can't bat, bowl, field or captain. All round useless. One series doesn't make a player great....but one series can really make a player look ordinary.

    Back off on McGrath - I can't remember him making any predictions other than for the 2005 and 2006 ashes. His predictions are more often than not about who he's going to target...and 99% of the time he nails his man.

    Back in 2004 when England were playing well McGrath was asked how the'd fair in the 05 ashes - I distinctly remember him saying 4-0 or 4-1. He made the 5-0 after Lords, and I have no doubt in my mind that if he didn't step on that ball it would've been 5-0.
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  13. #58
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    Meh, what did you expect? His disregard for his fellow professionals gets tedious after a while.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 08:17 PM
  2. Sim a match
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 342
    Last Post: 31-12-2006, 04:03 PM
  3. Replies: 93
    Last Post: 18-10-2006, 12:25 AM
  4. McGrath Goes The Full Monty
    By Burgey in forum Ashes 2006/07
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-10-2006, 12:28 AM
  5. An Analysis of McGrath
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 31-03-2005, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •