Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm dissappointed with England, 5-0 - McGrath

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    He averaged 52 with the bat and 30 with the ball in India, that's a pretty damn good series, and his performances since the South Africa series in 2003 have generally been top notch. I'd rather have Flintoff in my team than someone like Hussey, I really would. The value of someone who averages what Freddie does in recent years with bat and ball cannot be underestimated.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    He averaged 52 with the bat and 30 with the ball in India, that's a pretty damn good series, and his performances since the South Africa series in 2003 have generally been top notch. I'd rather have Flintoff in my team than someone like Hussey, I really would. The value of someone who averages what Freddie does in recent years with bat and ball cannot be underestimated.

So basically, he averages as much as Sreesanth with the ball and like Kaif with the bat. I guess, but I'd still rather have Hussey or McGrath if you go by only performances. The reason I'd have Freddie over Hussey is due to his proven record of coming up big when it counts. Though, I still wouldn't take him over McGrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Flintoff's bowling average would be a lot lower if he wasn't such a warrior. He just bowls and bowls, he bowls for so long that cows are actually leaving home again. A true team player, not interested in averages, merely results.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero
    Flintoff's bowling average would be a lot lower if he wasn't such a warrior. He just bowls and bowls, he bowls for so long that cows are actually leaving home again. A true team player, not interested in averages, merely results.
    Also his averages over the past two and a half years or so are more of a real reflection of his ability.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne
    Also his averages over the past two and a half years or so are more of a real reflection of his ability.
    Indeed, ignore the first few years, and hes a strike-bowler.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Laurrz View Post

Glenn McGrath is at it again, proclaiming Australia will win the forthcoming Ashes series 5-0 despite being left red-faced after the same prediction 18 months ago in England.

McGrath, who is continuing his return to action after taking time out of the game to care for his wife, refused to concede any chance for England in the series that starts on November 23 in Brisbane.

"I reckon it will be 5-0 this time, as well,'' he said in the Mail on Sunday. "To say anything else would be negative. If we're going to win 2-1, or 3-2, which games are we going to lose?'' Last time around he said rain would be the only factor that would stop Australia winning all five Tests.

Now he says he is disappointed at the current England side, claiming that they are a lesser unit than during the last Ashes series when Michael Vaughan, Simon Jones and Ashley Giles - who have since had long-term injuries - played crucial roles. He also claims that it was his injuries in the last series, which forced him to miss Australia's two defeats at Edgbaston and Trent Bridge, which were the deciding issue.

"England are not as strong as they were last year,'' he added. "But Australia are a lot stronger. And I'm fit, unlike last time. Put it this way, in the three Tests I played in last time, we drew two and won one.

"England are not the same team as they were. I'm disappointed in them. I expected them to kick on after beating us and conquer the world but it just goes to show how losing players through injury can unsettle the side.''

Typically, McGrath then proceeded to dissect the England team and pinpoint where he believes they will struggle during the series. "Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones are huge losses for them. There are doubts over the fitness of Freddie Flintoff, Steve Harmison and Ashley Giles, while things are not too good for Marcus Trescothick.

"They have new guys who have done well but have never played in the Ashes series, let alone one in Australia. We'll see how the likes of Alastair Cook get on down here and we'll try and open up old wounds with Ian Bell."

To round off his blow-by-blow account of the opposition he downplayed the problems Australia could face from Kevin Pietersen and Monty Panesar, who both played vital roles for England during their series win against Pakistan.

"Pietersen will find a second season in international cricket is always harder than the first and I'm sure our batsmen will plan to get after Monty Panesar. As for me, I'll be paying attention to their openers, and to their new boys.''

The contest between McGrath and England's batsmen will start before the opening Test at Brisbane after he revealed he'll be lining up for New South Wales, who play England in a warm-up match at the SCG starting on November 12.

"I'm going to the Champions Trophy at 75-80 percent and believe that by the time I play for New South Wales against England in the tour game before the first Test I'll be up to 90 percent.

"That should give me the perfect opportunity to fine-tune and be completely ready for the start of the Ashes."
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    Meh, what did you expect? His disregard for his fellow professionals gets tedious after a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    I didn't really expect anything else from him really.

Looks like he'll be right after all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

ps love multi quote!

School Boy/Girl Captain McKanga's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleTheOne View Post
    ...even the crap England teams managed to win a test, and this England team is a much better outfit than the horror shows of the past.
    "Look out he's behind you"! Oh, wait, sorry wrong panto call. I meant "Oh no you're not"!

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I think Glenn's right, we will win 5-0
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Good call Pidge. He had to get one of these right eventually, so his final prediction coming true (assuming it will, which is a decent enough assumption to make at this point) is a nice way to finish.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with McGrath.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I think the reason that Flintoff's average is so high is more due to his extremely unpenetrative start to Test cricket.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Nice use of the law of averages by Glenn there.

"If I predict 5-0 in every series between now and the end of eternity, eventually I'll be right! Mwahahaha....."

Metronomical one might say...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information