• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Englands Weakest Link: Trescothick

Laurrz

International Debutant
ENGLAND opening batsman Marcus Trescothick has been labelled a "crackpot" and pinpointed for a ruthless Aussie verbal barrage during the Ashes.

The high-class batsman is mysteriously out of the Champions Trophy with a "stress-related illness", which has split the England squad and cast doubts on his ability to handle the relentless Ashes pressure-cooker.

Coined "Stresscothick" by England's media, his sudden return from the tour to India earlier this year was cloaked in secrecy. It was initially blamed on family reasons and later changed to a virus.

Queenslander Stuart Law, the former Australia batsman now living and playing in England, says the constant mystery over Trescothick's health portrays a fragile character who is the England weak link.

Law, a close confidante of England skipper and Lancashire teammate Andrew Flintoff, predicts Trescothick could be a passenger.

"He's a bit of a crackpot isn't he?" Law said.

"You could feel a bit sorry and feel some sympathy for him if he came out and said what was going on.

"But his story keeps changing. One minute he's got a runny nose, then he's got a sore leg, then he's got personal problems. You don't know what to believe.

"There has to be a big question mark over him and his mental fatigue. When push comes to shove in Australia this summer he looks like one bloke who won't handle it.

"There were too many niceties during last year's Ashes and Australia won't be into that this time."

Trescothick's form has deteriorated since the Indian tour, having reached 50 only once in 11 Test innings.

The left hander, 30, has rarely shone against Australia, not scoring a century in 15 Tests.

His form on foreign soil, where he averages just 35, remains a concern and Australia's brains trust knows that winning the early battle against the opener will go a long war towards winning the Ashes war.

As Trescothick prepares to be pitched into the lion's den against Australia, former England captain Alec Stewart has backed him to handle Australia's sledging.

"The Aussies are Aussies and whether you're good, bad or indifferent they will have something to say to you, but it won't be anything that Tres hasn't heard before," Stewart said.

"When you're playing against Australia you tend to block out most of what's being said anyway; you're more interested in focusing on the next ball."

Although reverse swing won't be as much of a factor on the hard Australian grounds, England is planning to stick to tactics similar to those that produced its Ashes win last year.

Law expects his former Queensland teammate Matthew Hayden and vice-captain Adam Gilchrist to be prime targets.

"They targeted the right players last time and I think they see Hayden and Gilchrist as real keys for Australia," Law said.

----------------

Is he too mentally weak to perform in Australia ?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rubbish, the guys quality, an opener with an average of 43 will do, thanks.

More trash talking from the nervous Aussies:@

Stuart Law can just shut up, he just wants to play for England:cool:

Salamuddin

International Debutant
grecian said:
Rubbish, the guys quality, an opener with an average of 43 will do, thanks.

More trash talking from the nervous Aussies:@

Stuart Law can just shut up, he just wants to play for England:cool:

What about his average waay from home ?

Maybe it's time England fans accept Trescothick isn't anywhere near as good as they think he is.....

crickhowell

U19 Vice-Captain
Anything and everything it seems. I wonder if maybe he has depression, that ruined the career of a certain Australian opener once upon a time. Failing that he's probably just a hypercondriac.

Good batsman when he's in form though, one of a few in the world both brave enough and capable of taking on the Aussies from ball one.

Slow Love™

International Captain
I don't know about getting all this mileage out of some guy's personal life, even if it's just cheeky banter. What if you found out that Trescothick's wife (or child, if he has one) has terminal cancer, and they're not really ready for the world to know about it?

You'd feel a right prat for going on about it like Law has. Not like you shouldn't be allowed to do it or anything, but I'd be a bit leery at the story changes myself to laughingly call the guy a crackpot or similar. I'd rather the verbal was about what goes on within the game itself, personally.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
crickhowell said:
Anything and everything it seems. I wonder if maybe he has depression, that ruined the career of a certain Australian opener once upon a time. Failing that he's probably just a hypercondriac.
Seeing as this is the first time he's missed a game since being picked 6 years ago, I doubt it's that.

I personally think that whatever it was that hit him in India is playing on his mind and the prospect of going back there filled him with negative thoughts about being down again.

howardj

International Coach
Slow Love™ said:
I don't know about getting all this mileage out of some guy's personal life, even if it's just cheeky banter. What if you found out that Trescothick's wife (or child, if he has one) has terminal cancer, and they're not really ready for the world to know about it?

You'd feel a right prat for going on about it like Law has. Not like you shouldn't be allowed to do it or anything, but I'd be a bit leery at the story changes myself to laughingly call the guy a crackpot or similar. I'd rather the verbal was about what goes on within the game itself, personally.
Spot on - as usual.

valvolux

Cricket Spectator
At least the aussie media is starting to fire a few shots back. Been boring as bat sh#t listening to all of the english garbage about aussies fearing the poms etc. How about McGrath's latest predictions? Absolute gold. He speaks the truth does pigeon, can't wait for him to send Bell back to grade cricket where he belongs.

Law is right - if you keep things a mystery you are fair game. He'll hear far worse than crackpot.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Where's the Pompey thing come from then? :)

(just being nosey :p )
Haha, the Pompey thing comes from my Dad living in or around Portsmouth for the last ten years or so, he's ex-Navy so needed to be there or thereabouts. Started taking me to games in '98-99 I think. First game was a 3-1 victory over QPR, I remember Matt Svensson scoring for us and Trev Sinclair scoring for them....the rest is a bit of a blur!

Barney Rubble

International Coach
GeraintIsMyHero said:
98-99, why back then you were worse than us. How times have changed eh
Haha, indeed, although if we carry on getting decisions like we did last weekend you'll be above us in no time. :dry: