Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McGrath Goes The Full Monty

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

McGrath Goes The Full Monty

Speaking on Sydney Radio today, Aussie paceman Glenn McGrath was asked about the concerns of Monty Panesaar re. Australian crowds. McGrath noted that crowds all over the world have a habit of barracking their own and giving it to visiting teams. "We copped it in England last year, we cop it in South Africa when we go there".

When asked about reports that Monty was seeing a psychologist because he was worried about abuse from Aussie crowds, McGrath said that if that was the case it was "a bit soft, but I don't know if it's true. If it's true, it's soft...".

I think Monty will be a great character out here this year and is good for English cricket. But it's a bit of a worry if he's going to let fans get to him through their bagging him (racial abuse aside of course, which is reprehensible).

Thoughts?
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey
    Speaking on Sydney Radio today, Aussie paceman Glenn McGrath was asked about the concerns of Monty Panesaar re. Australian crowds. McGrath noted that crowds all over the world have a habit of barracking their own and giving it to visiting teams. "We copped it in England last year, we cop it in South Africa when we go there".

When asked about reports that Monty was seeing a psychologist because he was worried about abuse from Aussie crowds, McGrath said that if that was the case it was "a bit soft, but I don't know if it's true. If it's true, it's soft...".

I think Monty will be a great character out here this year and is good for English cricket. But it's a bit of a worry if he's going to let fans get to him through their bagging him (racial abuse aside of course, which is reprehensible).

Thoughts?
    From what I can see Montys got a great attitude, all the barmy-army who filched tickets will be behind him, and I'm guessing the Aussies will warm to him. A lot depends on how he fields, but we saw improvement this summer.

This Psychologist thing sounds nonsense to me, a lot of sportsmen see them nowadays, it doesn't equate to quaking in his boots yet.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Yeah, McGrath was being very lighthearted about it all.

I don't know why more people can't hear the laughter in his voice more often when he winds people up, especially when he makes his predictions. Every time I hear him speak he says Australia will win 5-0 or 3-0 and he simply says "I believe we'll win every test we play" which may be seen as arrogant on the one hand but is also a very positive attitdue, which helps explain why Australia don't deal in draws in recent years.

Oh, we generally just see him as a panto villain, don't take him seriously whatsoever. Still we'll rub it in if hes wrong again

As you should. Can't wait for it to start.

There should be no problems with Monty and the Australian crowds. He's a very likeable character with a fun spirit. The thing with Monty and the shrink is a complete non-story - many sportsmen see psychologists and it's only when it's a character like Banger/Harmy that it becomes an issue.

Re McGrath, he's always playing around with the press. Yesterday he was on the news naming his bunnies, and throughout, he had a smirk on his face.

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Panto villain sums it up for me too, although this "soft" rubbish does say alot about his attitude i.e if a problem isn't visible and physical it isn't a problem, which is a little old fashioned to put it mildly.

As for Monty he's very strong upstairs, just happens to be a gentle fellow.

I think the Aussie crowds will love him too.

Obviously they will take the **** if he miss fields, but that goes for everyone and should be expected. As for the psychologist aspect, well that's the modern way and fair play, just ask Els how many golf tournaments he's won thanks to his shrink.
    Last edited by Pedro Delgado; 04-10-2006 at 03:00 AM.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

International Debutant
    HAHAHA i love pigeon!!!!

Pinball Champion!
    Don't most top level sportsmen have psychologists?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

McGrath is correct.

Panesar is soft if he is seeing a psychologist about potential 'vocal crowd abuse.'

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg
    McGrath is correct.

Panesar is soft if he is seeing a psychologist about potential 'vocal crowd abuse.'
    Why? Perhaps he's going to discuss ways to combat the problem should it arise...it could be anything....frankly, I don't think it's a very good attitude to equate seeing a psychologist with being soft.

This reminds me of a few Sopranos episodes where Tony was seen a weak because he saw a psychiatrist. I don't think it's soft and I highly doubt McGrath thinks it is either, it's all just pre-game banter which will come back to haunt us if it ends up firing up the poms.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I've had to deal with mental issues and it does help no matter how strong you are mentally if you have a way of dealing with people attacking you. If anything it makes you stronger.
    C'mon COLTS

Southern Dynamo Midfielder

www.myspace.com/themakeoutkidsnz

Seriously Guys,

I heard the interview and he was not being serious at all. He was taking the mickey as he always does.

I can't see this firing up the Poms - the comments were completely innocent - shows what can happen when you transcribe verbal comments - context and intonation can't be adequately conveyed.

In the same interview he wrapped him as a bowler and even said his fielding had improved. From memory, he also offered to share batting secrets with him, so I don't think any offence was meant by him.

Cricket Spectator
    I'm sure a few of the aussie players visited the shrink after last year... But I think that by seeing a psych, particularly before anything has been said, and announcing it to the media as if "I'll be ready you mean aussies"...just goes to show just how worried they really are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information