• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What will be telling factors in deciding the Ashes?

Which of these factors will have a major bearing on the final result?

• Total voters

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
All of those factors you've listed will decide the Ashes. There are a few others though, including the performance of the new ball bowlers (of both teams), fielding/catching and Monty Panesar.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Warne and Mcgrath staying fit for Australia is absolutely vital. Especially Mcgnrath, Warne you could probably get away with as Macgill is a fine backup. But if you lost Mcgrath it could be a meltdown for Australia's pace attack.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I went for the emergence of a new star. Cook & Watson haven't tasted ashes cricket as yet, but by the end of the 5th test in January IMO one or both of them will stamp their name well and truly on international cricket.

Cook has been most impressive to this stage of his career, scoring a century in your debut test in the subcontinent is no mean feat, but then to follow it up by playing as well as he against Murali at home shows he has class. However, facing the Australian attack on home soil will be his biggest test. He has the ability to stand up and take it, however he is also inexperienced, and a lot will hinge on his batting at no.3

Watson on the other hand, hasn't done anything much of note in his 3 test matches so far, and when he did look like he was getting his bowling going against the WI in brisbane, injury struck again. He has since bounced back and looked in ominous form with both bat & ball for Queensland & Australia A. Whilst we have seen many "great" first class players, go to the international arena, and look way out of their league (see Mick "I Chuck Pies" Lewis) Watson has shown us what he is capable of in Pajama cricket. Yes it's a completely different form of the game, but the fact remains he bowled well, with great line & length, and was extracting some movement. If indeed Watson is chosen to bat at 6 (which seems most likely at this point in time) he will be under huge amounts of pressure from many to perform a Freddie Flintoff type role, and if whilst i doubt he will come close to the feats of freddie last series, he has the ability to make a significant impact with both facets of his game.

Come the 6th of January 2007, 1 of these to youngsters will have well and truly made their mark on international cricket, and IMO will have played a huge role in retaining/regaining the ashes for their country.

CARN WATTO!!! :)

Last edited:

Laurrz

International Debutant
I went with Other....TWO factors IMO

Glenn McGrath... if he is in fire... then the WHOLE Australian Bowling Attack will be very very hard to get over 350 runs IMHO

Adam Gilchrist...didn't do well last time...but he can either help us when we are in trouble to get us in a dominant position and switch the game around....or give us very quick runs and make it more likely we bowl em out twice

both are keys because they both were iffy last tour (Gilly with form, McGrath with injury)

So if these two key players fire i can't see Australia loseing.... if both are like last season... then Australia will struggle a bit and it will be a massive dogfight... however i reckon IMO if one of em fire for the series... Australia is safe

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Interesting about Gollum, if it was just a case of "putting the ball out there" he wouldn't have scored all the runs he has, so some movement/swing in or out from Hoggy and Fred will be very important.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
LongHopCassidy said:
I'm all ears.
You're Adam Gilchrist & I claim my five pounds! :p

As to the question in hand, I think an awful lot will depend on McGrath's fitness & form. The press over here have suggested he didn't bowl all that flash in Malaysia; I personally didn't see a ball of the tournament but his figures suggest he was his ever-economical self without getting in the wickets too much.

Our pace battery is vital too; Hoggy needs to find some swing & Harmy hopefully won't start pining for the North-East too soon or an awful lot will depend on Fred's broad shoulders. I just have the tiniest suspicion Saj Mahmood might go ok on the bouncier Oz strips tho. But whisper it, 'cos I don't wanna jinx him. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For England, a lot depends on Harmison's bowling. And that's unfortunate because who knows what he'll bowl come day 1 of the first test. If he's on however, I think it'll help put a lot of pressure on Australia, which is necessary.

tooextracool

International Coach
Certainly like always fielding will be a major factor in deciding the Ashes. I think at the end of the day if one team isnt significantly better than the other it comes down to which teams holds on to most of their catches and pulls of a few blinders. Of course there are times when one team is so much better than the other that putting down too many catches barely even affects the result of the series- the eng- pak series in the winter of 2005/06 for example.
i think much like the last ashes series, the result of the series will be less dependent on harmison than imagined.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
The MAJOR one for England is the fitness of the fast bowlers if they are going to have any chance of winning or drawing the series for Australia the performances of key players i.e Hayden, Ponting, Gilchrist, Hussey, Warne, McGrath & Lee if they fire can't see Australia losing.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
If England have any chance of winning this, they need to get out of the blocks quickly and impose themselves early on. What happens on 23rd November will be a big factor, imo.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
The one problem I can see England having is takin 20 Aus wickets.

Harmison - If he is on form at the WACA then england will win, I can pretty much guarantee that, just as long as England post 300+ in each innings.

Hoggard - I'm gonna be harsh and say that he's going to be pretty ineffectual in Australia. He needs English greentops to help him, and he won't get them down under.

Flintoff - The most consistent of the English fast bowlers, and will take 30 wickets. He's gonna like bowling at the WACA, MCG and Brisbane.

Panesar - Englands best hope for 5fers and 10fers. Will like bowling at the SCG and Brisbane. Could cope on flat tracks because of his accuarcy.

Craig

World Traveller
Umpiring.

Who know's if that turn down LBW shout to Bell or a Ponting could turn out to haunt either team when it should of been given out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
If England have any chance of winning this, they need to get out of the blocks quickly and impose themselves early on. What happens on 23rd November will be a big factor, imo.
Not always England got off to a superb start in the 2001 Ashes & lost 4-1 in the end. If you refering to teams getting of to good starts in Australia & doing well, Pakistan or rather Shoaib Akhtar had Australia 78/5 at lunch @ the WACA in 2004 & lost the series 3-0.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
Not always England got off to a superb start in the 2001 Ashes & lost 4-1 in the end. If you refering to teams getting of to good starts in Australia & doing well, Pakistan or rather Shoaib Akhtar had Australia 78/5 at lunch @ the WACA in 2004 & lost the series 3-0.
note he didn't say if England get off to a good start they will win, he said they need to get off to a good start to have a chance