• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie bowling attack for Ashes

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mcgrath
Stuart Clark
Brett Lee
Shane Warne

Reserves
Mitchell Johnson
Stuart MacGill

Those would be the bowlers I'd be relying upon if I was an Aussie selector to take 20 English wickets - be interested to hear what everyone else's choices are.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd say that sounds about right, though I have a strange feeling Gillespie will play. What's that saying about heart ruling head?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Gillespie will get a chance, just because of how well Stuart Clark bowled in South Africa. It would be nice to see him get the opportunity to prove himself again at Test level but I think Clark could have it over him for the first test.

Craig

World Traveller
I think Gillespie will be there, I mean he will feel hard done by scoring a double ton and doesn't get another Test afterwards :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't really think you need Clark and McGrath in the same side. Similar style bowlers and you don't really need two of them.

I'd be looking at playing MacGill in at least some of the matches as Watson should and will bat number 6, which would give an attack comprising of McGrath, Lee, Watson, Warne and MacGill. On pitches where two spinners wouldn't be required, I'd probably play Johnson instead.

I know Clark did well against South Africa, but I really think the likes of MacGill and Johnson would provide a better overall attack. I'd still have Clark in the squad though.

Steulen

International Regular
McGrath, Lee, Warne as absolute cetainties.

Third seamer role will be either Clark, Johnson, Tait or Gillespie. I'm thinking Clark for the first match, and depending on injuries and results the others might then get a chance. Gillespie should be first pick if it comes to that, but the selectors might go Johnson (especially after yesterday).

Watson will probably play the first test as fourth seamer / all-rounder..

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
That mix of bowlers is right, but Gillepsie is also in with a chance, depending on a few things.

If Johnson has a great run in the ODIs ahead I wouldn't be too surprised to see him grab a test berth. They'd obviously be very keen to get him some exposure in tests and barring injury he will play some time in 2007, but if he gets a solid run of form behind him he might move ahead of Clark and Gillespie and play as the third seamer.

As things stand though, McGrath/Lee/Warne/MacGill/Watson is likely to be the attack in at least 2 or 3 tests. In the others, it's between Clark and Gillespie if they pick a third seamer, and the decision will be made based on form.

howardj

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
I don't really think you need Clark and McGrath in the same side. Similar style bowlers and you don't really need two of them.

Mate, I agree they are a similar style of bowler, however the reason why both will play in the 1st Test (at least) is because the selectors will trust Clark to keep a lid on the scoring rate, more than they will Johnson, Gillespie or Tait. I don't think the selectors will be looking for big hauls of wickets from our third quick (Warne, McGrath and Lee will be our bankers) rather they will be looking for containment - something Kasprowicz and Gillespie failed to deliver in 2005. It wasn't so much that they weren't picking up wickets, but the fact they were bleeding so many runs which really damaged our cause.

howardj

International Coach
I'd like to see Mitchell Johnson, while the Ashes Tests are being played, getting a couple of months worth of FC games under his belt. Really hasn't done that much in FC cricket. Given the importance to Ponting and the team of the regaining the Ashes, I can't see the selectors placing any responsibility for that in the hands of an unproven greenhorn. If we were playing the Windies (or someone like that) at home however, he would be a fair chance. Not this summer though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
I'd like to see Mitchell Johnson, while the Ashes Tests are being played, getting a couple of months worth of FC games under his belt. Really hasn't done that much in FC cricket. Given the importance to Ponting and the team of the regaining the Ashes, I can't see the selectors placing any responsibility for that in the hands of an unproven greenhorn. If we were playing the Windies (or someone like that) at home however, he would be a fair chance. Not this summer though.
I agree, excluding the possibility that Johnson forces their hand with great form. If he was the leading wicket taker in the Champions Trophy for instance, I think they'd pick him in the Ashes, provided he was fit and bowling well in the nets and for Queensland at the start of the season. If he doesn't do anything really special between now and then he'll miss out in favour of more reliable bowlers - ie Clark or Gillespie, and play tests later in the year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
howardj said:
Mate, I agree they are a similar style of bowler, however the reason why both will play in the 1st Test (at least) is because the selectors will trust Clark to keep a lid on the scoring rate, more than they will Johnson, Gillespie or Tait. I don't think the selectors will be looking for big hauls of wickets from our third quick (Warne, McGrath and Lee will be our bankers) rather they will be looking for containment - something Kasprowicz and Gillespie failed to deliver in 2005. It wasn't so much that they weren't picking up wickets, but the fact they were bleeding so many runs which really damaged our cause.
Having Watson in the side in a containment role would make me opt for another genuine wicket taker as the third quick bowler - so I'd be going with Johnson. You don't need him to bowl a stack of overs to keep the scoring in check - you have three other bowlers in the side quite capable of that. Lee and Johnson could be used as strike bowlers while Warne could bowl long spells as always with McGrath just nagging away playing a double role and Watson just focusing on his accuracy as a containment option.

tooextracool

International Coach
does anyone know what the odds are of seeing tait and bracken in the Ashes side?
Certainly would help Englands cause...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
does anyone know what the odds are of seeing tait and bracken in the Ashes side?

:laugh:

Bracken wont play in the tests bar a number of injuries - but he will cause you a great deal of pain in the ODI's i think.

I hope Gillespie gets a start as the 3rd seamer when we play 3 quicks, that said - if Macgill is fit i think he will play in the first test with Watson providing a 3rd seam option.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
They're probably 6th and 7th in line now, among the seamers. So you'd want at least 4 injuries.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I see two options:

Warne
Lee
McGrath
Clark

OR

Watson
Warne
Lee
McGill
McGrath

I'd like to think Watson would improve enough for the second to be viable, but honestly I don't quite think he's there yet, although he's already heaps better than Symonds and we got away with that. McGill will probably only get a game at the SCG. But I think it would be a wise investment to season Watson more against the day Warne and McGrath are gone and five bowlers might be necessary.

I think Johnson has shown enough potential to be pencilled in as the next cab off the rank - should we get an unbeatable lead in the series, or should one of McGrath, Lee or Clark go down with injury, he'd deserve a call up. Recalling Kasprowicz for the umpteenth time isn't going to provide any kind of future for the team.

I think Bracken has had his chance and barring some dramatic returns in the remaining ODIs or in Pura Cup, his boat has sailed. Making him no longer the next cab at the rank. (Way to smash metaphors together! :) )

tooextracool

International Coach
age_master said:
:laugh:

Bracken wont play in the tests bar a number of injuries - but he will cause you a great deal of pain in the ODI's i think.

I hope Gillespie gets a start as the 3rd seamer when we play 3 quicks, that said - if Macgill is fit i think he will play in the first test with Watson providing a 3rd seam option.
Honestly, i think Australia should play both Warne and Macgill in the Ashes. I doubt Clark will be a handful unless the conditions are favoring seam bowling. England's ability to play spin leaves a lot to be desired IMO, and warne and macgill have always bowled well together.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I thought it was lunancy to select Tait ahead of McGill in the last two Ashes test last year. I reckon we'd still have the urn had he played...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
Honestly, i think Australia should play both Warne and Macgill in the Ashes. I doubt Clark will be a handful unless the conditions are favoring seam bowling. England's ability to play spin leaves a lot to be desired IMO, and warne and macgill have always bowled well together.
I definately see Warne & MacGill (once fit) playing together @ the MCG, SCG & Adelaide.