• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes Squad Announced

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A Flintoff captain
A Strauss
M Trescothick
A Cook
K Pietersen
I Bell
P Collingwood
C Read
S Mahmood
S Harmison
M Hoggard
M Panesar
G Jones
A Giles
J Anderson
L Plunkett

Side note- The Academy side

Ravi Bopara (Essex)
Stuart Broad (Leicestershire)
Rikki Clarke (Surrey)
James Dalrymple (Middlesex)
Steven Davies (Worcestershire)
Ed Joyce (Middlesex)
Robert Key (Kent)
Jon Lewis (Gloucestershire)
Graham Onions (Durham)
Matt Prior (Sussex)
Owais Shah (Middlesex)
Tom Smith (Lancashire)
Chris Tremlett (Hampshire)
Michael Yardy (Sussex)

http://www.ecb.co.uk/news/media-releases/flintoff-to-captain-england,10030,EN.html

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
TT Boy said:
A Flintoff captain
A Strauss
M Trescothick
A Cook
K Pietersen
I Bell
P Collingwood
C Read
S Mahmood
S Harmison
M Hoggard
M Panesar
G Jones
A Giles
J Anderson
L Plunkett
One has to question the logic of having 6 batsmen+ Flintoff while having 7 bowlers + Flintoff. With there already being question marks about Tresco, there would be no back up batsmen in the squad and we'd have to dig into the back up squad already.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So are the Academy side based in Aus then? Looks like a fair few of them will be needed.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The selectors have made a mistake IMO giving flintoff the captaincy, he'll have enough on his plate to start with, coming back from injury AND copping a hiding from Gilly:) . Strauss has done a tremendous Job leading an undermanned squad to a 2/3-0 test series win, and drawing the ODI series with pakistand. Not only that, his batting seems to have flourished with it!!!

I also found this quote in the article posted on Cric Info
Graveney refused to rule out another comeback for Darren Gough
This will no doubt be something for the Australian batsmen to look foward to:thumbup: ...

open365

International Vice-Captain
Why the hell isn't Lewis in the squad but Anderson and Giles who won't be fit enough to play are?

PY

International Coach
wpdavid said:
So are the Academy side based in Aus then? Looks like a fair few of them will be needed.
They are based at a Hampshire coach's cricketing Academy (in Perth as TTBoy said) so in theory, they should be at least partially ready for cricket.

Big gambles been made, I just hope this isn't a re-run of 2002/03 or else I might just cry.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
Why the hell isn't Lewis in the squad but Anderson and Giles who won't be fit enough to play are?
Anderson is nearly fully fit now - certainly closer to full fitness than Plunkett.

Giles i guess they don't think any other spinner than Giles & Monty is worth taking.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
Because Lewis isn't effective on anything but the most helpful conditions, and we already have Hoggard for that role.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
tooextracool said:
One has to question the logic of having 6 batsmen+ Flintoff while having 7 bowlers + Flintoff. With there already being question marks about Tresco, there would be no back up batsmen in the squad and we'd have to dig into the back up squad already.
Clearly suggests Flintoff at 6, so who misses out?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Probably, but I still back him to score more runs than Bell when the chips are down. I really think yer crms would prefer to bowl to Bell than Colly.
Yeah possibly, Bell had an awful Ashes and they probably still think of him as a bunny but Collingwood has always seemingly struggled on wickets with pace and bounce. Looks comfortable in subcontinental conditions but he looks very limited when faced with good pace bowlers on decent quick wickets.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If I was Ian Bell and I got dropped while in the form of my life, I think my confidence would probably be crushed beyond all repair. What hope does he have if the selectors don't think three hundreds in three Tests is good enough? He has to play.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Im still have my doubts over whether Tresco will play...Bell to play at 3 with Cook opening

open365

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Because Lewis isn't effective on anything but the most helpful conditions, and we already have Hoggard for that role.
I wish people would stop steryotyping Hoggard and Lewis as bowlers that can only bowl when conditions suit them.

They have both proved that that's not the case anymore, if Lewis was only good in one set of conditions, his FC record and ODI record wouldn't be close to what they are now.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
A tad harsh on Hoggard. Indian pitches aren't THAT helpful...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh, and Messrs Plunkett and Mahmood would like to congratulate Australia on regaining the Ashes.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
GeraintIsMyHero said:
Im still have my doubts over whether Tresco will play...Bell to play at 3 with Cook opening
For England's chances i'd say its better off hoping he recovers well enough before the 1st test.