• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Aussie Middle Order for the Ashes

Aussie Middle Order for First Ashes Test

• Total voters

Alysum

U19 Debutant
Cant believe lots of votes for Watson...his bowling is still pretty poor if you're looking for a proper all rounder.

Steulen

International Regular
I voted Martyn and Katich :ph34r:

Don't really know why, other than that Symonds, Hodge and Clarke are crap, Watson may very well be crap and Jaques should open.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Considering his first class record, I'm surprised that Phil Jacques hasn't been given a look in, I'd have him way ahead of Katich, in ODIs and Tests.

Steulen

International Regular
Nice font. Good size too. And how 'bout that colour, eh?

Anyway, Jaques should open with Langer, not play in the middle order.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Steulen said:
Nice font. Good size too. And how 'bout that colour, eh?

Anyway, Jaques should open with Langer, not play in the middle order.
Langer doesn't play ODIs and Hayden is not going to be dropped from the test side any time soon.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So I guess this means the following Line-up:

Hayden --- Strauss
Langer --- Trescothick
Ponting --- Cook
Martyn --- Pieterson
Hussey --- Collingwood
Watson --- Bell
Gilchrist --- Flintoff

I think the Aussies are in front on the batting by 5 to 2 (same result if England go with Flintoff at six).

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Interesting, the following Poll results are on "Baggygreen"

Who should bat at No. 6 for Australia during the Ashes?

Michael Clarke 38.4% (5529 votes)

Shane Watson 19.6% (2819 votes)

Andrew Symonds 37.8% (5451 votes)

Other 4.2% (609 votes)

aussie tragic

International Captain
Mister Wright said:
There's no doubt he is Australia's most popular cricketer.
:-O I must have been away from Aus for too long. I thought Hayden, Ponting, Hussey, Gilchrist, Warney, Lee, McGrath and even McGill were much more popular :D

burr

State Vice-Captain
There is absolutely no use picking Watson. He cannot bowl and he cannot bat at the highest level. Clarke has to be in there - young and exciting, with real talent. And Marto of course! : )

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I voted Clarke & Watson....

Would've loved to have said Jaques, but when Haydos has a shocker in the 1st two tests we need him to open!!:)

With Martyn in the Team the average age is 34 is a worrying sign:surprise: !! Clarke showed us what he could do in India, and then back at home against NZ, yeah he's pretty much sucked at test level since, but once he went back to pura-cup his form was twice as good as any of the other options except for Jaques.

Watson is a much improved player, and deserves to be given a chance, if he doesn't come up to scratch, the i guess whoever is in the best pura-cup form is it!!!

If symonds somehow manages to get back into the test team i'll personally have a kineption:@ !!!!!!! The guy is anything but an allrounder, and he can't be chosen on batting alone!:dry:

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie tragic said:
So I guess this means the following Line-up:

Hayden --- Strauss
Langer --- Trescothick
Ponting --- Cook
Martyn --- Pieterson
Hussey --- Collingwood
Watson --- Bell
Gilchrist --- Flintoff

I think the Aussies are in front on the batting by 5 to 2 (same result if England go with Flintoff at six).
Err Martyn beats Pietersen any day of the week,anywhere in the world and against any opposition

adharcric

International Coach
Hayden
Langer - Jacques ready to step in
Ponting
Martyn - Clarke ready to step in (ideally, Hodge as well)
Hussey
Watson - Clarke ready to step in
Gilchrist
Lee
Warne
McGrath
Clark - Gillespie ready to step in