Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Australian and English umpires be allowed to umpire the Ashes?

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!

Should Australian and English umpires be allowed to umpire the Ashes?

Umpires from Australia and England for Ashes?

Cricinfo staff

August 26, 2006

Simon Taufel: in line for an Ashes Test later this year? Getty Images
    The Australian board has suggested that umpires from England and Australia be allowed to stand during this year's Ashes series. The ICC rules stipulate that all Test matches should have third-country umpires, but the Australians believe that the quality of decision-making will be better if the umpires from the two countries are part of the panel.

According to The Age, though a formal request hasn't yet been placed, Cricket Australia directors have been exploring the option with the ICC. Peter Young, a spokesman for Cricket Australia, said that a contest between the two best teams in the world should have the best officials as well. "It's one of those issues that is frequently discussed socially. Australia and England are the two top-ranked sides in the world, and by chance the top-ranked umpires in the world ... won't be able to umpire in that series.

In a perfect world, it would be great for a series that will not only determine who wins the Ashes but could decide the world No. 1 ranking to be officiated by the world's top-ranked umpires." Australia's Simon Taufel is regarded as the best umpire in the world at the moment, while England's Mark Benson - their only representative in the Elite Panel - is highly rated as well. Daryl Harper and the controversial Darrell Hair are the two other Australian umpires currently in the Elite Panel.

Cricinfo
    Personally i would be quite happy to have Taufel and Benson umpiring the games.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    IMO the best umpires should get the biggest games, regardless of nationality.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    IMO the best umpires should get the biggest games, regardless of nationality.
    Agreed and I would love to see this happen. However, I think the ICC will leave things as they are...
    Simon Taufel---ICC Umpire Of The Year 2005/2006/2007

Proud Member of CW Green

Proud member of the Stedingham Jets Grade Cricket Team

NSW Blues---ING Cup Champions 2005/2006

3rd May 1955-19th January 2004----RIP Hookesy

"Just keep your mouth shut and I'll only have to think you're stupid." The golden rule of umpiring according to the world's best cricket umpire, Australia's Simon Taufel.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    No way. The neutral umpires were brought in for a very, very good reason.

I've never really mentioned race before, but let's be honest here. If it were an India-Pakistan series, would people be this willing to let Indian and Pakistani officials umpire? I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Debutant Eyes_Only's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc

I've never really mentioned race before, but let's be honest here. If it were an India-Pakistan series, would people be this willing to let Indian and Pakistani officials umpire? I doubt it.
    Fair point but I think the neutrailty of umpires is a given no matter who they were umpiring so that it wouldn't matter...if they have a problem with being neutral, they probably shouldn't be umpring at any level. The nationality of the players and umpires has never been an issue (aside from a few recent examples) and the best umpires should be umpiring the best games.

Just my opinion though
    Last edited by Eyes_Only; 27-08-2006 at 01:17 AM.

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc

I agree totally with what you say, but Hair's alleged neutrality hasn't really lessened the storm re the ball-tampering, has it? Would the storm have been any worse if (say) Benson or Willey had been standing?
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

The best umpires, no matter what nationallity, should be given the biggest games in the calender year whether it means you have to umpire your nation or not.
    "I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying." MJ

International 12th Man
    Who was responsible for the current lead article on cricketweb (England not keen on best umpires...) whilst mischievously adding a picture of Darryl Harper?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    Who was responsible for the current lead article on cricketweb (England not keen on best umpires...) whilst mischievously adding a picture of Darryl Harper?
    Seeing as it was written by James, I'm going to say James

And are you sure it's Hair? Looks more like Harper to me (I think...)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Yes.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    I agree totally with what you say, but Hair's alleged neutrality hasn't really lessened the storm re the ball-tampering, has it? Would the storm have been any worse if (say) Benson or Willey had been standing?
    Well if you look at how little abuse and vitriol has been aimed at Doctrove on here, I think we already know the answer.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    I know that they are all umpire in a proffesional manner, and will not be bias in anyway, its more than their jobs worth. I trust Taufell & co to make the right decisions regardless of the teams, because its just not cricket if they dont
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

According to the BBC it doesn't look like the ECB will support this idea. I wouldn't be happy for it to happen, I don't want Australian umpires in an Ashes match. I don't doubt their ability to be impartial but any bad decisions would become a source of scandal. Imagine if it was Benson who gave Kasprowicz out at Edgbaston people would have said his being English would sway such a difficult decision. No way should this happen, I'd be suprised if Taufel and co would REALLY want to do it. Not worth the agro.

Cricket Spectator

neutral umpires

i wonder why this has only just been mentioned?
    it obviously is because the aussies want to get the ashes back regardless of the means.
    i am not saying their umpires wouldnt intend to be neutral but the acb think it gives them an advantage.
    the best in the world are probably the aussies umpires but you have to use neutrals to avoid any bad feelings towards the umpires from the players.

I dont think it is a good idea for the Ashes. I dont have a problem for any other series but the Ashes is the most prestigious series in world Cricket. Pick the best umpires as long as they arent from Australia or England

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information