• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Australian and English umpires be allowed to umpire the Ashes?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Umpires from Australia and England for Ashes?

Cricinfo staff

August 26, 2006

Simon Taufel: in line for an Ashes Test later this year? © Getty Images
The Australian board has suggested that umpires from England and Australia be allowed to stand during this year's Ashes series. The ICC rules stipulate that all Test matches should have third-country umpires, but the Australians believe that the quality of decision-making will be better if the umpires from the two countries are part of the panel.

According to The Age, though a formal request hasn't yet been placed, Cricket Australia directors have been exploring the option with the ICC. Peter Young, a spokesman for Cricket Australia, said that a contest between the two best teams in the world should have the best officials as well. "It's one of those issues that is frequently discussed socially. Australia and England are the two top-ranked sides in the world, and by chance the top-ranked umpires in the world ... won't be able to umpire in that series.

In a perfect world, it would be great for a series that will not only determine who wins the Ashes but could decide the world No. 1 ranking to be officiated by the world's top-ranked umpires." Australia's Simon Taufel is regarded as the best umpire in the world at the moment, while England's Mark Benson - their only representative in the Elite Panel - is highly rated as well. Daryl Harper and the controversial Darrell Hair are the two other Australian umpires currently in the Elite Panel.

© Cricinfo
Personally i would be quite happy to have Taufel and Benson umpiring the games.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
IMO the best umpires should get the biggest games, regardless of nationality.
Agreed and I would love to see this happen. However, I think the ICC will leave things as they are...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way. The neutral umpires were brought in for a very, very good reason.

I've never really mentioned race before, but let's be honest here. If it were an India-Pakistan series, would people be this willing to let Indian and Pakistani officials umpire? I doubt it.

Eyes_Only

International Debutant
andyc said:

I've never really mentioned race before, but let's be honest here. If it were an India-Pakistan series, would people be this willing to let Indian and Pakistani officials umpire? I doubt it.
Fair point but I think the neutrailty of umpires is a given no matter who they were umpiring so that it wouldn't matter...if they have a problem with being neutral, they probably shouldn't be umpring at any level. The nationality of the players and umpires has never been an issue (aside from a few recent examples) and the best umpires should be umpiring the best games.

Just my opinion though

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
andyc said:

I agree totally with what you say, but Hair's alleged neutrality hasn't really lessened the storm re the ball-tampering, has it? Would the storm have been any worse if (say) Benson or Willey had been standing?

_TiGeR-ToWn_

U19 Debutant
The best umpires, no matter what nationallity, should be given the biggest games in the calender year whether it means you have to umpire your nation or not.

greg

International Debutant
Who was responsible for the current lead article on cricketweb (England not keen on best umpires...) whilst mischievously adding a picture of Darryl Harper? ;)

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
greg said:
Who was responsible for the current lead article on cricketweb (England not keen on best umpires...) whilst mischievously adding a picture of Darryl Harper? ;)
Seeing as it was written by James, I'm going to say James :p

And are you sure it's Hair? Looks more like Harper to me (I think...)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
I agree totally with what you say, but Hair's alleged neutrality hasn't really lessened the storm re the ball-tampering, has it? Would the storm have been any worse if (say) Benson or Willey had been standing?
Well if you look at how little abuse and vitriol has been aimed at Doctrove on here, I think we already know the answer.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
I know that they are all umpire in a proffesional manner, and will not be bias in anyway, its more than their jobs worth. I trust Taufell & co to make the right decisions regardless of the teams, because its just not cricket if they dont

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
According to the BBC it doesn't look like the ECB will support this idea. I wouldn't be happy for it to happen, I don't want Australian umpires in an Ashes match. I don't doubt their ability to be impartial but any bad decisions would become a source of scandal. Imagine if it was Benson who gave Kasprowicz out at Edgbaston people would have said his being English would sway such a difficult decision. No way should this happen, I'd be suprised if Taufel and co would REALLY want to do it. Not worth the agro.

victorbubba

Cricket Spectator
neutral umpires

i wonder why this has only just been mentioned?
it obviously is because the aussies want to get the ashes back regardless of the means.
i am not saying their umpires wouldnt intend to be neutral but the acb think it gives them an advantage.
the best in the world are probably the aussies umpires but you have to use neutrals to avoid any bad feelings towards the umpires from the players.

luffy

International Captain
I dont think it is a good idea for the Ashes. I dont have a problem for any other series but the Ashes is the most prestigious series in world Cricket. Pick the best umpires as long as they arent from Australia or England

Tormented

Cricket Spectator
I think in this day and age with all the technology we have, umpires would not get away with being bias towards one team. I think if anything an Australian umpire would act a little bias towards England because he'd be scared of being acused of being bias.

I say a contest between the no.1 and 2 test nations in the world should be officiated by the 2 best umpires in the world regardless of their nationality.

I have no problem with the 2009 Ashes series (or this series for that matter) being officiated by 2 English umpiries if they are deemed to be the two best umpires in the world.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
I also think it would give the Aussies a psychological edge, I doubt the England players would be keen either. Anyway it's really not going to happen...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd personally have no objections to an Aussie ump (Taufel is more or less generally regarded as the top boy just now), but in the interests of the greater good of the game I think the neutral umpires should stay, for the time being at the very least. There's no real way the ICC could say "Ok, I reckon you blokes are big enough for any umpire to stand" to some nations & not to others.

Although they have surprised me in the past....