• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Watson may have secured No 6

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
as long as he makes runs ill be happy enough, he needs to justify his position with runs more so than wickets if hes going to bat at 6...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not a huge surprise really. It was always a good chance that he'd play in Brisbane, and pretty much a certainty he'd play some time during the Ashes.

I wouldn't put too much faith in media reports, but the apparent improvement in his bowling sounds promising too.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Best choice for the number 6 position IMO, especially when you consider his main competition is from Michael Clarke and Andrew Symonds.

andyc

AussieDominance said:
i would still like to see clarke in there somewhere
Why would that be? He's simply not ready for tests yet, as an average of 36 after 20 odd tests shows. Given that he can only just average over 40 in FC cricket, he clearly needs more time. Regardless of how well he does in ODIs, or how stylish he may look, he's just not good enough. Given that Watson is a better batsman, at least against pace (spin may be a different story, but against England it doesn't matter so much), and he can offer a competent fifth bowling option, he's got to be in over Clarke.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
not surprised, good to see the selectors thinking along that line. Hopefully he does well in the ashes & cements his place. He has a big role to play in Australia's test future no doubt.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Watson is "a better batsman". Clarke has had some success at test level and a great deal of success at ODI level. He's not world class, but he is quite a capable international batsman. Watson has yet to prove that.

Watson could well be a very good test batsman, but he's got a lot more to prove than Clarke does right now.

berry1

Cricket Spectator
I wouldnt say that Stuart Clark has cemented his spot although according to the article he has. Im expecting Gillespie and Kasper to challenge him for his spot

andyc

Clark should be ahead of Kasper at the moment, and Gillespie's county form hasn't really helped him. Frankly, if Watson gets in, the selectors have no real reason not to pick MacGill, who would probably be the best choice, especially against England.

berry1

Cricket Spectator
MacGill could probably play at Sydney Melbourne and perhaps Adelaide but definitely not Perth and im not sure about the Gabba because traditionally it hasnt offerd a lot for the spinners (in the first 3 days at least anyway)

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
andyc said:
Why would that be? He's simply not ready for tests yet, as an average of 36 after 20 odd tests shows. Given that he can only just average over 40 in FC cricket, he clearly needs more time. Regardless of how well he does in ODIs, or how stylish he may look, he's just not good enough. Given that Watson is a better batsman, at least against pace (spin may be a different story, but against England it doesn't matter so much), and he can offer a competent fifth bowling option, he's got to be in over Clarke.
Oh yes it does. Have you not seen Monty?? :D

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
andyc said:
Clarke is a better batsman than Watson. But that's not the issue.

Laurrz

International Debutant
at first i thought WHAT THE kcuf!!!!

then i thought well he has been in good form with the bat...but is he a good enough bat to bat in Australias top 6 ?

given his recent results probably yes... he has a really solid technique and is good against spin... my only problem is i'm not sure how he will go against the tall fast bowlers Flintoff and Harmison who will definately test him with short stuff... (remembers how he hooked and got out in the super series)

i reckon if he performs with the bat then he will definately be in our team long term!!! his bowling will just be a bonus i reckon... McGrath, Lee, Warne, MacGill ..says it all.... i just hope he does well at #6 because with Gilly not being the normal Gilly i don't like middle order collapses

so Flintoff vs Watson at #6 haha

Mister Wright

berry1 said:
MacGill could probably play at Sydney Melbourne and perhaps Adelaide but definitely not Perth and im not sure about the Gabba because traditionally it hasnt offerd a lot for the spinners (in the first 3 days at least anyway)
From memory, I think MacGill has a fairly good record in Brisbane, not only in tests but in domestic matches as well, and I think the 'Gabba is Waren's best ground.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
and I think the 'Gabba is Waren's best ground.
Yes it is, i remember his record around Australia being showed during the Brisbane test vs West Indies last year & it is the best.