• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Panesar impresses Aussies

luffy

International Captain
It will be interesting to see how he goes in Australia. He wont be popular with the Aussie Fans though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Interesting that Punter rates Monty's arm ball. Certain posters on here have suggested that Monty doesn't actually have one!

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
luffy said:
It will be interesting to see how he goes in Australia. He wont be popular with the Aussie Fans though.
Why? What's to dislike about Monty? Possibly the most loveable cricketer around at the moment.

aussie tragic

International Captain
luffy said:
Why, we love talented cricketer's that have a bit of character about them (e.g. monty & freddie) while we love to hate talented cricketers that think their god's gift (e.g. Pieterson) 8-)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd expect Panesar to be reasonably popular, really. I'm sure he'll cop plenty about his fielding though.

luffy

International Captain
UncleTheOne said:
Why? What's to dislike about Monty? Possibly the most loveable cricketer around at the moment.
Australians dont like any Poms no matter how loveable they are

He is a crap fielder

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luffy said:
Australians dont like any Poms no matter how loveable they are

He is a crap fielder
nah man, i know you haven't been watching England's games, because big Monty ain't a crap fielder mate.

luffy

International Captain
aussie said:
nah man, i know you haven't been watching England's games, because big Monty ain't a crap fielder mate.
How did you know lol i have just been reading the newspapers:happy:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
How is he not a crap fielder? He's got to be just about the worst in international cricket at the moment. He makes Stuart Clark look good.

greg

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
How is he not a crap fielder? He's got to be just about the worst in international cricket at the moment. He makes Stuart Clark look good.
On current form he's definitely pushing ahead of Kaneria. To be fair he hasn't done anything wrong in the last 5 matches, whether that is just because he has been successfully "hidden" only time will tell.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Monty's done nothing wrong in the field this series - in fact, I can't think of much he's done wrong since the dropped catch at Mumbai, which he immediately made up for anyway. Add to that the fact that his batting is nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, and the fact that he's one of the most determined and tenacious cricketers you'll ever find, and you've got a player who won't be easily intimidated by crowd abuse.

People assume that because he's quiet and keeps to himself, Monty is a bit fragile - I don't think anything could be further from the truth. It takes a lot of mental strength to be a spinner who has the confidence to continually toss the ball up - and as far as confidence goes, Monty can always console himself after every misfield or dismissal with a look at his list of Test dismissals. He's a bowler, and he's a damn good one - the only time abuse from fans might get under his skin is if it's about his bowling, and there's really not much to criticise about that at the moment.

I can see him being very popular in Australia, and if anyone does see fit to get on his back, they might regret it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
Monty's done nothing wrong in the field this series - in fact, I can't think of much he's done wrong since the dropped catch at Mumbai, which he immediately made up for anyway. Add to that the fact that his batting is nowhere near as bad as it was made out to be, and the fact that he's one of the most determined and tenacious cricketers you'll ever find, and you've got a player who won't be easily intimidated by crowd abuse.

People assume that because he's quiet and keeps to himself, Monty is a bit fragile - I don't think anything could be further from the truth. It takes a lot of mental strength to be a spinner who has the confidence to continually toss the ball up - and as far as confidence goes, Monty can always console himself after every misfield or dismissal with a look at his list of Test dismissals. He's a bowler, and he's a damn good one - the only time abuse from fans might get under his skin is if it's about his bowling, and there's really not much to criticise about that at the moment.

I can see him being very popular in Australia, and if anyone does see fit to get on his back, they might regret it.
Had one **** up today at mid off, allowed Imran Farhat to pick up three runs (jumped all around the ball) and looked like he was in quick sand when retrieving the ball.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Had one **** up today at mid off, allowed Imran Farhat to pick up three runs (jumped all around the ball) and looked like he was in quick sand when retrieving the ball.
I didn't think he was that slow, and they only got 2.

IIRC he dropped a dolly in the SL series

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:

8-) Your the man Dave, yeah it was a two though it should have been a three. ;)

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:

Yeah he did, I think he was pretty hopeless in the First Test, maybe the second, but apparently he got new contact lenses and he's been ok since then.