• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is the Ashes going to be a joke/waste of time due to injuries?

James

Cricket Web Owner
If Simon Jones, Michael Vaughan, Ashley Giles, Andrew Flintoff don't play in the Ashes and Australia win back the Ashes are we just going to here from England fans:

"Well, we didn't have our best players, so we couldn't expect to win anyway".

Are Australia on a hiding to nothing? They'll be expected to win with all of England's injuries, and if they do win will the fans/media downplay the series victory because of the weak England team put out?

If Australia thought they'd win the Ashes last year 4-0, they should think they'll win this year 5-0. Could this finish up being the most one-sided Ashes series in Ashes history?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see Australia as a team who are always on a hiding to nothing, just expected to win. This years ashes more so.

howardj

International Coach
:spam:

This thread should be immediately closed, for it poses the exact question as the Ashes Walkover thread.

:p

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When the smoke clears, and the dust settled, then Ricky Ponting, you will drink the drink of life my friend. And then, and only then, you will know what Andrew Flintoff is really saying.

Rough translation: their our Ashes and we're not giving them back

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
With all due respect Benchy, I like to think I look silly all the time

While we may be rank outsiders for this winter's series, I am a believer, and an optimist in all forms of life, and I choose to believe beyond reason and hope that England will at least draw with the crims this winter :)

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm with Ricky Ponting in thinking that Vaughan and Jones may make 'Amazing Late Recoveries' from their injuries (at least I'm hoping so). In any case if they don't Cook looks the genuine deal and of course if Petersen has a good day anything could happen. Flintoff should play and play a pivitol part in the series. While England won't go in as favourites it is unlikely to be a walkover.

grecian

We're demolishing the second best team in the world at the moment, without those players. We will fight and compete whatever.

I don't think Simon Jones will make it, that will be a blow, if Freddie doesn't we'll be weakened amazingly.

Yet in the batting, Vaughn hasn't scored runs in a while, and we've depth with Cook, Bell, Collingwood,Shah. We'll miss his leadership though.

If Giles doesn't make it, we become a worse batting and fielding unit, but possibly a better bowling one.

So, no, it won't be a walkover, but I pray my avatars back.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan with this attack aren't anywhere near second best in the world.

If their attack was Shoiab, Rana, Asif, Kaneria, we wouldn't be demolishing them.

grecian

We're still bowling out one of the best middle-orders in world cricket.

Yet your right their bowling is atrocious, I really think Yasir Arafat and Mushie would be much better options.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Jones and Flintoff will play. Just a gut feeling. I think Vaughan is goneskis though.

Giles out? Who really cares? Seems like a plus for England to me - they can hence play their best spinner.

A side comprising of:

Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Ali Cook
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones/Jimmy Anderson/Liam Plunkett
Steve Harmison
Monty Panesar

would present enough challenges to make a very interesting series IMO.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
Prince EWS said:
I think Jones and Flintoff will play. Just a gut feeling. I think Vaughan is goneskis though.

Giles out? Who really cares? Seems like a plus for England to me - they can hence play their best spinner.

A side comprising of:

Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Ali Cook
Kevin Pietersen
Paul Collingwood
Andrew Flintoff
Geraint Jones
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones/Jimmy Anderson/Liam Plunkett
Steve Harmison
Monty Panesar

would present enough challenges to make a very interesting series IMO.
Jimmy Anderson was meant to be playing first class cricket by now but is only 40% in the nets so it's looking more and more unlikely he'll make it, Simon Jones will be rusty as hell if he's physically fit. The pace department could be a nightmare down under.

tooextracool

International Coach
James said:
If Simon Jones, Michael Vaughan, Ashley Giles, Andrew Flintoff don't play in the Ashes and Australia win back the Ashes are we just going to here from England fans:

"Well, we didn't have our best players, so we couldn't expect to win anyway".

Are Australia on a hiding to nothing? They'll be expected to win with all of England's injuries, and if they do win will the fans/media downplay the series victory because of the weak England team put out?

If Australia thought they'd win the Ashes last year 4-0, they should think they'll win this year 5-0. Could this finish up being the most one-sided Ashes series in Ashes history?
I think assuming Flintoff plays there should be no excuses. Certainly as a batsman Vaughan has been rubbish for a while now and no one can claim that we're missing him at the moment, not with Bell and Cook scoring the way they are anyways. Panesar isnt significantly worse off than Giles and id say that we arent missing much in that department either. and Simon Jones has been out for so long that we really got to move on and forget about him. I think that if we dont lose anyone else other than Plunkett and Geraint Jones to injuries we should be able to put up a decent fight for the Ashes.

adharcric

International Coach
Well I hope they get as many guys fit as possible. I'd like to see England throw everything they've got at the Aussies and still get absolutely demolished beyond comprehension.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
adharcric said:
Well I hope they get as many guys fit as possible. I'd like to see England throw everything they've got at the Aussies and still get absolutely demolished beyond comprehension.
I honestly don't think we'll lose these Ashes without a fight. We've been very sloppy a lot of the time lately, but when the chips are down, there is a great unity and spirit to the side, and we will fight right until the end. I know Australia are better than India, but what we achieved in Mumbai should tell you that we won't be pushed over easily.

Or let's hope for 6 weeks of solid rain :ph34r: