• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Dye Is Cast

archie mac

International Coach
A lot of the recent Ashes series have been decided on the 1st day in Brisbane. The last 3 have gone:

1. Nasser sending the Aussies in last time. Welcome Matt the Bat

2. A great partnership between SRW and Heals after Aust. were in trouble early. I think Sterwart was the captain (98-99)

3. A great innings by Slater as he wacked the first two deliveries for four. (94-95)

I think it will be a lot harder for England to make up lost ground if they play poorly in this First Test, as they did at Lords.

In fact I think the winner of this First Test will win the Ashes (remember no Greigys for this section) and if it is a draw, the side who played the best ala 98-99.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah but in the above Series, Australia were simply the better team and had the better, mentally tougher, players. The First Test, it could be argued, did not set the scene but merely reflected (like the remaining Four Tests in those Series) who the better side was. But, having said that, you're right to the extent that England were absolutely stuffed after Slater and Hayden gorged themselves on the opening days in '94 and '02 respectively. Slats, from what i can recall on radio, was absolutely hyper!

Last edited: