• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashes could be last series -says Langer

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
sad to hear but woudn't mind if he does retire TBH since Australia have a more than capable replacement in Jaques.
hahahahahahahahahahahaha (breathe, Eddie) hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry.

There is absolutely no comparison.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
hahahahahahahahahahahaha (breathe, Eddie) hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

sorry.

There is absolutely no comparison.
obviously you misunderstood, i''m not saying that he & Langer are similar or that he can better Langer's achievements or anything, all i'm saying is when/if he does retire after the ashes Australia wont have to look too far to replace him since Jaques is there.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
obviously you misunderstood, i''m not saying that he & Langer are similar or that he can better Langer's achievements or anything, all i'm saying is when/if he does retire after the ashes Australia wont have to look too far to replace him since Jaques is there.
It's quite obvious that, as things stand, he is earmarked for the side whenever Justin Langer decides to call it quits. So obvious in fact that I couldn't believe that's all that you were saying.

Along with Hayden, you'd then have two overly-aggressive openers whose first thought is to attack instead of just establishing a solid footing first.

Maybe I'm too old for this nonsense, but test cricket's becoming like an ODI, ODI's are becoming like Twenty20's, Twenty20's are drone zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

When's a fellow going to find time to eat the cucumber in his Pimm's?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Seems a bit early to be writing off Jaques, doesn't it? I'd be surprised if you knew enough about his batting to judge whether or not he is "overly aggressive", and certainly if you look at the way Hayden has played in the last six months or so, aggressive is the last word you would use to describe it.

Langer will be a big loss to Australia because he is a great player, and I'll be sad to see him go, but Jaques is a quality batsman and I'd say any country would be pleased to have someone with such talent to come in as a replacement when a great opener retires.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Seems a bit early to be writing off Jaques, doesn't it? I'd be surprised if you knew enough about his batting to judge whether or not he is "overly aggressive", and certainly if you look at the way Hayden has played in the last six months or so, aggressive is the last word you would use to describe it.

Langer will be a big loss to Australia because he is a great player, and I'll be sad to see him go, but Jaques is a quality batsman and I'd say any country would be pleased to have someone with such talent to come in as a replacement when a great opener retires.
I'm not writing him off at all - just from what I saw of him in England (and that was quite a bit, thank you mister I'd be surprised if... :p) he seemed your typical 21st century archaetypal banger of an opening bat.

I was comparing him to Langer (as I thought that aussie was - a reasonable mistake to make because any australian who can get the ball off the square in his eyes automatically goes into the world top 5 ;)) - who really seems to be the last of a dying breed - a 'proper' opening batsman.

God, some people are so touchy.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
I'm predicting Jaques to flop as a Test and ODI batsman. You heard it here first.
I certainly wouldn't be willing to stick my neck out and say he definitely will do well. He has a phenomenal domestic record, but I've never really been that impressed by him when I've watched him bat. Having said that, there's plenty of equally ugly batsman who make easy work of it. Hussey is never 100% convincing for me, at least not in tests, and especially when he's facing the new ball, but nobody can question his success.

If I had to take a stab at it, I'd expect Jaques to have a slow start to his career, and to probably always have a bit of trouble outside off stump early in his innings (like Ponting, say), but to mature and have a long and successful run later on.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I'm not writing him off at all - just from what I saw of him in England (and that was quite a bit, thank you mister I'd be surprised if... :p) he seemed your typical 21st century archaetypal banger of an opening bat.

I was comparing him to Langer (as I thought that aussie was - a reasonable mistake to make because any australian who can get the ball off the square in his eyes automatically goes into the world top 5 ;)) - who really seems to be the last of a dying breed - a 'proper' opening batsman.

Fair enough. I'll miss Langer being in the team, for much the same reason, but if there's one area of the game Australia can afford to lose an international star right now, it's opening the batting. Jaques and Cosgrove and so on are worthy replacements for anyone. I'd imagine that's what aussie meant, though I think he underrated the value of Langer to the side in the process of saying it.

howardj

International Coach
I'm predicting Langer to play on for a while yet. His last act as a batsman will be breaking his hip, while trying to turn the bowler backward of square - upon which his 45 year old son will carry him off the MCG and into the safety of retirement.

Matt79

Global Moderator
luckyeddie said:

I've been assured by people on this board that Langer is a merely a makeshift opener and an average one at that! :)

Jaques is obviously the annointed next opener - the more interesting question is who will he be opening with, and will he and whoever be able to share as good an understanding and partnership as Taylor/Slater, or Hayden/Langer? My guess is that Hussey is the likeliest candidate when both Langer and Hayden have gone, as there are a few more middle order players around than openers, and Hussey's been selected as an opener previously. After that, I'm not sure, Rogers?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Matt79 said:
I've been assured by people on this board that Langer is a merely a makeshift opener and an average one at that! :)

Jaques is obviously the annointed next opener - the more interesting question is who will he be opening with, and will he and whoever be able to share as good an understanding and partnership as Taylor/Slater, or Hayden/Langer? My guess is that Hussey is the likeliest candidate when both Langer and Hayden have gone, as there are a few more middle order players around than openers, and Hussey's been selected as an opener previously. After that, I'm not sure, Rogers?
The selectors would be mad to take Hussey out of the middle order, given how well he's been playing there. But it will be sad to see Langer goes, whenever he does, as he's really been one of my favourite players.