• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

We Want Them Ashes

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Probably just because we'd lost them. If we'd won again, I'm sure they wouldn't have been nearly as important.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
andyc said:
Probably just because we'd lost them. If we'd won again, I'm sure they wouldn't have been nearly as important.
Yes, true, I suppose.
Be interesting if there were a similar poll a year before.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Err, no, it clearly is the 3Mobile Ashes series.
Same way it was the NPower Ashes series last summer and in 2001 (and almost certainly will be in 2009, too). And it was the Cornhill Insurance Ashes series between 1977 and 1997.
Why, incidentally, does that matter?

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Err, no, it clearly is the 3Mobile Ashes series.
Same way it was the NPower Ashes series last summer and in 2001 (and almost certainly will be in 2009, too). And it was the Cornhill Insurance Ashes series between 1977 and 1997.
Why, incidentally, does that matter?
I think what BB was trying to get at is that the Ashes are just the Ashes to most people, it just seems a bit silly saying 3mobile Ashes series...its all a bit too 21st century for something with its roots in the 19th century.

I dont recall anyone really calling the Ashes back in the 80's the Cornhill Ashes series, and I cant remember it ever being advertised as such to be honest.

And it probably doesnt really matter, in the same way as the Brit Oval (formerly the AMP Oval, Fosters Oval etc) will always be 'The Oval' or 'Kennington Oval' to most people over the age of 20

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
I think what BB was trying to get at is that the Ashes are just the Ashes to most people, it just seems a bit silly saying 3mobile Ashes series...its all a bit too 21st century for something with its roots in the 19th century.

I dont recall anyone really calling the Ashes back in the 80's the Cornhill Ashes series, and I cant remember it ever being advertised as such to be honest.
That's because advertising was rarely done in those days.
But I can assure you, I have a poster on my wall saying "Get Ready For A Hot Summer" with the "Cornhill Insurance Test Series" in 1995, which didn't even mention the Wisden Trophy. It's not advertising as such, but it's propaganda. And it demonstrates one thing - there's no point in having sponsors unless you push them.
It's not remotely silly saying "XXXXXXXX (insert sponsor's name) Test Series", because by paying God-knows-how-much to the respective Cricket Boards, these companies have earnt the right to do so.
Sponsorship, along with television, is one of the 2 main things that keep cricket's finances going in modern times.
The 21st-century-ism doesn't remotely change the fact that this is something that started in the 19th-century... but it does reflect that things have changed. And, whether some like it or not, they have.
And it probably doesnt really matter, in the same way as the Brit Oval (formerly the AMP Oval, Fosters Oval etc) will always be 'The Oval' or 'Kennington Oval' to most people over the age of 20
Well clearly it being the Foster's Oval, AMP Oval, Brit Oval or whatever doesn't stop it being Kennington Oval and "The Oval" is just a useful shorthand.
It's always been those 2 to me, and I'm only just over the age of 20.
And no, it doesn't matter at all to everyday cricketees - but it does matter a great deal to those for whom sponsorship provides a huge amount of income.
Therefore, people like you and me will always refer to it simply as "The Oval", because we don't need to refer to it by sponsor's names.
Some people, though, (ie Surrey CCC) do need to, and we should respect that need and not go about ridiculing the ground being renamed after sponsors.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Some people, though, (ie Surrey CCC) do need to, and we should respect that need and not go about ridiculing the ground being renamed after sponsors.
who is ridiculing anything here????? jeez you know how to make a mountain out of a molehill don't you

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, DB.
His name is Dale Brumby, but he's said often enough that he hates his first name, so I call him by his initials.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Richard said:
No, DB.
His name is Dale Brumby, but he's said often enough that he hates his first name, so I call him by his initials.
Does everything have to be an argument?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
But I can assure you, I have a poster on my wall saying "Get Ready For A Hot Summer" with the "Cornhill Insurance Test Series" in 1995, which didn't even mention the Wisden Trophy.
Yes, a poster no doubt produced by Cornhill.

At no point when the games took place did the commentators call them the Cornhill Insurance Tests - 1 huge reason for that being that they were on BBC.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyway I watching a show called 'The Weakest Link' form Britain (we have a channel called 'UK TV', on Foxtel) they asked about 5 Soccer questions, all of which were answered (I knew none of them) and 2 cricket questions they were

Q1 what is the surname of the Aussie twins Steve and Mark? the answer given was Bell

Q2 Which player was voted by Wisden at the best batsman of the 20th century? the answer given was Shane Warne

My question: is this a true reflection of how big Socceer (football) is in Britain compared to cricket?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
Anyway I watching a show called 'The Weakest Link' form Britain (we have a channel called 'UK TV', on Foxtel) they asked about 5 Soccer questions, all of which were answered (I knew none of them) and 2 cricket questions they were

Q1 what is the surname of the Aussie twins Steve and Mark? the answer given was Bell

Q2 Which player was voted by Wisden at the best batsman of the 20th century? the answer given was Shane Warne

My question: is this a true reflection of how big Socceer (football) is in Britain compared to cricket?
Was it women answering the questions? If so they've done well to actually name cricketers! :p

It's pretty hard to describe Association Football's dominance over here. It absolutely towers over any other sport. Two stats for you: our Championship (second tier comp) now averages more fans per game than Italy's Serie A (& Football is Italy's hands-down top sport) & the average Premiership wage is now £17,000 per week (about £900,000pa). That's 20 clubs with (I'd guess) playing staffs of 20-25 players all nearly paying them a million quid a year! :-O