• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

We Want Them Ashes

archie mac

International Coach
The Waugh question was answered by a woman but the Bradman was answered by a man.

Yes the wages for soccer players are unbelievable, you could not blame a young lad who is talented at both soccer and cricket choosing the former.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
The Waugh question was answered by a woman but the Bradman was answered by a man.

Yes the wages for soccer players are unbelievable, you could not blame a young lad who is talented at both soccer and cricket choosing the former.
Yeah, it's a shame really. Apparently Phil Neville (England's mediocre utility defender/midfielder on the fringes of our World Cup squad) was a gun cricketer as a youth. Captained England Under-15 & played for Lancs 2nd XI at 16.

We'll never know what he coulda done.

archie mac

International Coach
I have a Boys Own Annual for the year 1909 and it seems cricket is the No 1 sport at that time. I wonder when soccer took over?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's nice to know that two of those possessions you Aussies treasure rest over here, with us Poms :laugh: lol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
My question: is this a true reflection of how big Socceer (football) is in Britain compared to cricket?
More an indication of the stupidity of some quiz entrants.

One I saw the other night:

Q: "Name a county in the United Kingdom"
A: "France"

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
More an indication of the stupidity of some quiz entrants.

One I saw the other night:

Q: "Name a county in the United Kingdom"
A: "France"
They must have meant Yorkshire.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
I guess it's a bit like the 'Pura Cup', Australia's first-class domestic competition. It should have stayed as the 'Sheffield Shield' like it always was. I know that sponsorship is a big thing, but even so.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Yeah, it's a shame really. Apparently Phil Neville (England's mediocre utility defender/midfielder on the fringes of our World Cup squad) was a gun cricketer as a youth. Captained England Under-15 & played for Lancs 2nd XI at 16.

We'll never know what he coulda done.
I don't know how good Christian Vieri was when he was young (he grew up in Australia) and he said his favourite cricketer was Alan Border and if he could choose his sporting career again he would have went into cricket.

England Expects

Cricket Spectator
It's amazing how many pro footballers originally started out playing cricket. Unfortunately due to insurance policies, they can't play in their spare time (too dangerous). That's why many take up golf, and they're annoyingly naturally brilliant at it.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Bit surprising, I'd think the Ashes would be up top, with Cricket World Cup and Rugby World Cup somewhere after that, Davis Cup and Soccer World Cup fighting it out at the bottom. But then again, if they threw the AFL Premiership in, I'd put that up top.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon if you asked many Australians right now, the soccer World Cup may just get a higher percentage than the 8% it currently holds in the poll. World Cup fever has definitely hit Australia.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Watch it fizzle out once Australia lose to Italy. It happens with all major events, people just swept away with it all as long as Australia are playing well.

Xuhaib

International Coach
archie mac said:
Still strong, but has been redirected to moaning about how we lost 8-)
Aus has the potential to be a strong footballing nation lets hope its not at the expense of cricket.

archie mac

International Coach
Xuhaib said:
Aus has the potential to be a strong footballing nation lets hope its not at the expense of cricket.
I can't see it, but Peter Roebuck suggests that soccer will dominate all sports in the years to come.