Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 87

Thread: Udal looking forwards

  1. #61
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Chaminda Vaas, Andre Nel, Craig White, Dominic Cork and who?
    Err, where precisely have I said 1 single 1 of those is better than McGrath?
    I have said the good Vaas is better, but I've also said Vaas intersperses brilliance with some of the least penetrative stuff you'll ever see.
    I've said neither Cork nor White got anywhere near achieving their potential - both are only credible as Test-standard bowlers for a short period of a year (at different times).
    And Nel is only at the start of his career.
    The only bowlers who I'd certainly rate above McGrath who played in his time are Donald and Ambrose. I'd rate Pollock as for-all-intents-and-purposes equal.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #62
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Only calling it as I see it.

    And it most certainly is not the other way round.
    Err - most of the time the people who've formed their opinion have formed it long before I've formed mine.
    Hence it is me doing the agreeing\disagreeing, not the other way around.

  3. #63
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    4 or 5 huh, namely?
    Donald and Ambrose were IMO certainly better - Pollock is for-all-intents-and-purposes equal, and Wasim was probably a bit better too.
    Of course, the Waqar pre-1994 was better, but he was better than almost anyone in the modern era. Also, that was before McGrath's career.

  4. #64
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Donald and Ambrose were IMO certainly better - Pollock is for-all-intents-and-purposes equal, and Wasim was probably a bit better too.
    Of course, the Waqar pre-1994 was better, but he was better than almost anyone in the modern era. Also, that was before McGrath's career.
    I'd give you Ambrose but neither of the rest:

    McGrath was definately a better bowler at his peak that Donald in most conditions.

    People tend to compare Pollock and McGrath because they are both very metrodomic, but even Pollock at there peaks are just below McGrath in that area and in many others.

    Wasim could challenge McGrath's acheivements as a bowler of flat tracks (especially in the sub-continent) but in other conditions i think McGrath would have the edge.

    I am aware of Waqar's greatness pre-1994 but i haven't seen him at his best so i cant compare the two.


  5. #65
    Hall of Fame Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,752
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    4 or 5 huh, namely?
    Allan Donald, Shaun Pollock, Makhaya Ntini, Andre Nel, Andrew Hall
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  6. #66
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Fanie de Villiers was better than most of them.
    Ignore-list or not - you jumping on the South African bandwagon, too?

  7. #67
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    I'd give you Ambrose but neither of the rest:

    McGrath was definately a better bowler at his peak that Donald in most conditions.

    People tend to compare Pollock and McGrath because they are both very metrodomic, but even Pollock at there peaks are just below McGrath in that area and in many others.

    Wasim could challenge McGrath's acheivements as a bowler of flat tracks (especially in the sub-continent) but in other conditions i think McGrath would have the edge.

    I am aware of Waqar's greatness pre-1994 but i haven't seen him at his best so i cant compare the two.
    I don't need to have seen him at the time. I've read and seen enough to realise that he was a phenominon the like of which has rarely been seen. Of course, it was only for a pretty brief time.
    How was McGrath better than Donald? Donald had absolutely everything you could possibly wish for in a seam-bowler. Yes, McGrath can go on to an older age than Donald, but that's it. In everything else, Donald had more than McGrath.
    Donald also wins points for performing best against the best batting-line-up of his day (India).

  8. #68
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I don't need to have seen him at the time. I've read and seen enough to realise that he was a phenominon the like of which has rarely been seen. Of course, it was only for a pretty brief time.
    How was McGrath better than Donald? Donald had absolutely everything you could possibly wish for in a seam-bowler. Yes, McGrath can go on to an older age than Donald, but that's it. In everything else, Donald had more than McGrath.
    Donald also wins points for performing best against the best batting-line-up of his day (India).
    Well regardless of the fact that McGrath has proven he can still bowl superbly well even when older, McGrath has probably everything you would wish to see in a world class seamer except probably blistering pace, which area's where Donald better than him.

    Plus McGrath has performed againts India as well, looking at their stats vs India overall & in India its pretty similar.

    McGrath vs India Overall & in India:statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=2101;class=testplayer;fil ter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;seas on=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0 ;groundid=0;startdefault=1993-11-12;start=1993-11-12;enddefault=2006-01-06;end=2006-01-06;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;follow on=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=aro_summary;runslow=;runshigh=;batposi tion=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshi gh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh= ;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissal shigh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumped low=;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=vie wtype

    Donald vs India Overall & in India:statserver.cricket.org/guru?sdb=player;playerid=2011;class=testplayer;fil ter=basic;team=0;opposition=0;notopposition=0;seas on=0;homeaway=0;continent=0;country=0;notcountry=0 ;groundid=0;startdefault=1992-04-18;start=1992-04-18;enddefault=2002-02-24;end=2002-02-24;tourneyid=0;finals=0;daynight=0;toss=0;schedule dovers=0;scheduleddays=0;innings=0;result=0;follow on=0;seriesresult=0;captain=0;keeper=0;dnp=0;recen t=;viewtype=aro_summary;runslow=;runshigh=;batposi tion=0;dismissal=0;bowposition=0;ballslow=;ballshi gh=;bpof=0;overslow=;overshigh=;conclow=;conchigh= ;wicketslow=;wicketshigh=;dismissalslow=;dismissal shigh=;caughtlow=;caughthigh=;caughttype=0;stumped low=;stumpedhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=vie wtype

  9. #69
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    When did I say McGrath hasn't got good figures against India, too?
    And can you please use the tool provided for shortening URLs!!!!

  10. #70
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    When did I say McGrath hasn't got good figures against India, too?
    And can you please use the tool provided for shortening URLs!!!!
    i did..

  11. #71
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    When did I say McGrath hasn't got good figures against India, too?
    And can you please use the tool provided for shortening URLs!!!!
    Usually it just shortens itself though, when they're that long.

  12. #72
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401

  13. #73
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cricket
    Posts
    16,845
    how do you get to put the words in it?

  14. #74
    BARNES OUT dontcloseyoureyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    WILDCARD, BITCHES
    Posts
    28,304
    lmfao, it's so easy bro
    The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

  15. #75
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    how do you get to put the words in it?
    (url=http://www.----.---)text(/url)
    Obviously replace the () with [] .

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-12-2005, 11:24 AM
  2. Room to let.
    By Nate in forum General
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 06:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •