• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Udal looking forwards

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All day, on Sky Sports News, which I have on in the living room and can't be bothered to get up and turn off, Shaun Udal is interviwed stating his next aim is to go to the Ashes next winter. He didn't really mention his chances of playing for England this summer, basically said his plan is to perform as well as he can for Hampshire and get himself on a plane to Australia in November. Think he betetr buy a ticket just in case 8-)

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I was about to start a Udal thread asking the question: How will Udal do in Australia?

Less turn, bouncier pitches etc. England will have to do it with the pace attack if you ask Francis.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Clearly there's no way Udal should play a Test in Australia except (and even that's only maybe) at The SCG.
Nonetheless, if anyone would prefer Panesar on the plane I'd like to know why, and if anyone would prefer Blackwell, well... I'm sure their psychiatrist would like to know why.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
he had a great day in Mumbai but once Gilo returns that should be his last test. Gilo & Panesar should definately be the 2 spinners England take to Australia this winter..

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
Richard said:
Clearly there's no way Udal should play a Test in Australia except (and even that's only maybe) at The SCG.
Nonetheless, if anyone would prefer Panesar on the plane I'd like to know why, and if anyone would prefer Blackwell, well... I'm sure their psychiatrist would like to know why.
I'd prefer Monty to Udal because if nothing else he's economical.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
he had a great day in Mumbai but once Gilo returns that should be his last test. Gilo & Panesar should definately be the 2 spinners England take to Australia this winter..
Udal is better than Panesar how, exactly?
IF Panesar ever is Test-class, it certainly ain't gonna be soon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Gloucefan said:
I'd prefer Monty to Udal because if nothing else he's economical.
Not invariably.
Panesar tends to mix economical spells with expensive ones.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well is obviosuly very unlikely that he will ever play a test again. if Panesar does develop this season then he should go as reserve for Giles, if doesnt then maybe Udal should be on the tour. Even if he doesnt play a test again he can finnsih his career by winning the county championship with Hampshire.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Udal is better than Panesar how, exactly?
IF Panesar ever is Test-class, it certainly ain't gonna be soon.
I never said Udal was better than Panesar. While yes it will be a while before Panesar become a really test class bowler but he has the ability to do so..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Not invariably.
Panesar tends to mix economical spells with expensive ones.
really?, i watched him bowl in India & i hardly remeber any expensive spells at all, for the most he was economical but at times seems unpenatrative.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Panesar's economy rate in the first match against India was 2.26, second match was 3.77 and third was 2.27. Of course, he never made it back into the attack in the final innings of the tour after a very poor over to Tendulkar, if he had continued bowling his ER would have been higher

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone with half a brain can tell that Panesar and Utseya have virtually nothing in common.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pothas said:
well is obviosuly very unlikely that he will ever play a test again. if Panesar does develop this season then he should go as reserve for Giles, if doesnt then maybe Udal should be on the tour. Even if he doesnt play a test again he can finnsih his career by winning the county championship with Hampshire.
It wouldn't be the worst thing in The World for him to not play another Test - just like it was with Martin Bicknell.
Certainly, though, I don't like to think of Panesar in Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
I never said Udal was better than Panesar.
I know you didn't - I did, though.
While yes it will be a while before Panesar become a really test class bowler but he has the ability to do so..
Does he? I don't think that's anything close to certain.
What I'd say is pretty certain is that it was stupid to pick him for this tour, as I always thought it was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
really?, i watched him bowl in India & i hardly remeber any expensive spells at all, for the most he was economical but at times seems unpenatrative.
Expensive in the entire Second Test, expensive in the second-innings of the Third.
About half-and-half, in other words.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Richard said:
Expensive in the entire Second Test, expensive in the second-innings of the Third.
About half-and-half, in other words.
Don't remember exact details of 2nd Test, but he only bowled 4 overs in the 2nd Innings of the 3rd.

Bit harsh to judge him on those 4 overs when you can't really settle into a groove.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Does he? I don't think that's anything close to certain.
What I'd say is pretty certain is that it was stupid to pick him for this tour, as I always thought it was.
Come on Richard, by no means it was stupid to pick Panesar to tour India. Lets say Gilo was fit & the selectors decided to retain Udal, Panesar is said to be the most impressive young spinner in England so his selection was quite ok, i dont see what was stupid in picking him.