• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England vs Australia - Who has the best depth?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Lets see..

ENGLAND:

OPENERS:

1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Cook

MIDDLE-ORDER:

1. Vaughan
2. Pietersen
3. Collingwood
4. Bell
5. Shah
6. Joyce
7. Key

ALL-ROUNDERS:

1. Flintoff

WICKET-KEEPERS

1. G Jones
2. Read
3. Prior

FAST-BOWLERS:

1. Harmison
2. Hoggard
3. S Jones
4. Anderson
5. Tremlett
6. Plunkett
7. Mahmood
8. Harrison

SPINNERS:

1. Giles
2. Panesar
3. Udal
4. Batty
5. Swann

AUSTRALIA:

OPENERS:

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Jaques
4. M Hussey

MIDDLE-ORDER:

1. Ponting
2. Martyn
3. M Hussey
4. Clarke
5. Hodge
6. Katich
7. Cosgrove
8. D Hussey
9. Marsh

ALL-ROUNDERS:

1. Watson
2. Symonds
3. Henriques:ph34r:

WICKET-KEEPERS:

1. Gilchrist
2. Haddin
3. Hartley

FAST-BOWLERS:

1. McGrath
2. Lee
3. Gillespie
4. Clark
5. Tait
6. Kasprowicz
7. Bracken
8. Dorey

SPINNERS:

1. Warne
2. MacGill
3. Cullen
4. Bailey
5. Casson

Well i'd say Australia slightly at the moment

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
I think Australia's depth have shown a lot e.g Stuart Clark coming in for McGrath is a perfect example, even Mike Hussey and Phil Jacques are a sign of the Aussies depth and i cant see how you call Giles a spinner when he averaged 50 in the Ashes

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
Moises Henriques, what a champion, 2007 world cup squad for sure but i dont think hell crack ashes squad

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
dontcloseyoureyes said:
England showed that their depth can perform and fight hard.

Australia's depth is yet to show that.
yea, but its not like Australia haven't got the chance to do then, when McGrath & Warne had their respective times out of the game th back-up covered well.While the batitng hasn't suffered much injury problems to be exposed, so yea your probably right.

But it doesn't deny the fact that Australia doesn't have strong depth

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Hmmm... that list is more than just a bit biased. For instance, in middle order batsmen you've listed only one uncapped player from England, while you've listed three from Australia....

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Captaincy death? Just because we have a shocker now, doesn't mean we don't have depth. Warne, Gilchrist, Langer, Hussey can all captain well. It's just a shame we have Ponting as our chosen one.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the captaincy depth thing is rubbish.

Regarding the bowling, Engalnd's severe lack of spin depth is a worry. They have a passable option in Giles, and a fair amount of crap behind him. Australia have MacGill who is certainly the best spinner in the world who isn't a test regular, and with Cullen, Bailey, Casson and such have a fair amount of domestic depth as well.

And in fact, if you compare the fast bowling depth outside of the first XI, you're looking at Plunkett, Anderson and Tremlett against Clark, Gillespie and probably Dorey, in terms of the first three choices. I wouldn't call that a win for England either. At best it'd be a tie.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Regarding the bowling, Engalnd's severe lack of spin depth is a worry. They have a passable option in Giles, and a fair amount of crap behind him. Australia have MacGill who is certainly the best spinner in the world who isn't a test regular, and with Cullen, Bailey, Casson and such have a fair amount of domestic depth as well.
I'm pretty confident that Panesar is as good as Cullen, Bailey and Casson. Keedy and Swann are also good, but Keedy's getting on a bit (he's still ~6 years younger than Udal, mind :ph34r: ) and Swann doesn't seem to feature in mad Dunc's plans.

About the seamers, there doesn't seem to be alot of depth in either. After Flintoff, Harmison, Inbred, Jones, and Anderson, the quality of England's seamers drops off quite dramatically, but as does Australia's when they reach Tait & co.

Also, having Collingwood, as great as he is, close to pole for a spot in the middle order doesn't exactly fill me with confidence, either.

RoyForPM

Cricket Spectator
I dont think Aussie bowling drops off:
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Bracken
MacGill
Kaspa
Gillespie
Clark
Tait
Dorey
Have all had successful careers and have all had their Aussie Debuts in test or one-day

steds

Hall of Fame Member
RoyForPM said:
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Bracken
MacGill
Kaspa
Gillespie
Clark
Tait
Dorey
Have all had successful careers and have all had their Aussie Debuts in test or one-day
So have Tremlett and Plunkett. Doesn't make them particularly good test players. I have doubts about Tait and Dorey, while I think Anderson is atleast as good as Kaspa, Gillepie and possibly Bracken.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
Lets see..

ENGLAND:

OPENERS:

1. Trescothick
2. Strauss
3. Cook

MIDDLE-ORDER:

1. Vaughan
2. Pietersen
3. Collingwood
4. Bell
5. Shah
6. Joyce
7. Key

ALL-ROUNDERS:

1. Flintoff

WICKET-KEEPERS

1. G Jones
2. Read
3. Prior

FAST-BOWLERS:

1. Harmison
2. Hoggard
3. S Jones
4. Anderson
5. Tremlett
6. Plunkett
7. Mahmood
8. Harrison

SPINNERS:

1. Giles
2. Panesar
3. Udal
4. Batty
5. Swann

AUSTRALIA:

OPENERS:

1. Langer
2. Hayden
3. Jaques
4. M Hussey

MIDDLE-ORDER:

1. Ponting
2. Martyn
3. M Hussey
4. Clarke
5. Hodge
6. Katich
7. Cosgrove
8. D Hussey
9. Marsh

ALL-ROUNDERS:

1. Watson
2. Symonds
3. Henriques:ph34r:

WICKET-KEEPERS:

1. Gilchrist
2. Haddin
3. Hartley

FAST-BOWLERS:

1. McGrath
2. Lee
3. Gillespie
4. Clark
5. Tait
6. Kasprowicz
7. Bracken
8. Dorey

SPINNERS:

1. Warne
2. MacGill
3. Cullen
4. Bailey
5. Casson

Well i'd say Australia slightly at the moment
Please - don't suggest the like of Cullen, Bailey, Casson, Dorey, Tait, Marsh, Batty, Panesar, Tremlett, Plunkett, Mahmood, Harrison, Prior and Henriques are remotely close to Test-class and in the slightest likely to have any impact on the series.
And PLEASE move Robert Key from the middle-order batsmen to the openers!!!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Regarding the bowling, Engalnd's severe lack of spin depth is a worry. They have a passable option in Giles, and a fair amount of crap behind him.
Not really - there's not a huge difference between Giles and Udal and I'd back both on a typical SCG pitch.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
steds said:
About the seamers, there doesn't seem to be alot of depth in either. After Flintoff, Harmison, Inbred, Jones, and Anderson, the quality of England's seamers drops off quite dramatically, but as does Australia's when they reach Tait & co.
The quality of England's seamers drops off once you reach Harmison.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
RoyForPM said:
Warne
Lee
McGrath
Bracken
MacGill
Kaspa
Gillespie
Clark
Tait
Dorey
Because of course Dorey, Tait, Lee, MacGill and Bracken have all been so successful in Tests...?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
Please - don't suggest the like of Cullen, Bailey, Casson, Dorey, Tait, Marsh, Batty, Panesar, Tremlett, Plunkett, Mahmood, Harrison, Prior and Henriques are remotely close to Test-class and in the slightest likely to have any impact on the series.
And PLEASE move Robert Key from the middle-order batsmen to the openers!!!!!
How on earth can you say that, say, Marsh isn't test class? Have you ever even seen him play? How about Henriques? Or are you just talking crap as usual?

I'd agree that none of them are likely to have an impact on the series, but that's not really what "depth" means, is it?