Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 151

Thread: England vs Australia - Who has the best depth?

  1. #76
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    It was an attempt to inject some humour into your sad life, Richard.

    Obviously I failed, possibly because it didn't include Harmison and a combine harvester.

    The operative phrase I was picking you up on was "His calf clearly hindering him"
    Right - you might have to use something a bit more obvious next time.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #77
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,186
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Butcher, too, didn't have many troubles batting at three, and he too has never been aught but an opener.
    In spite of being so much better at 3 than opening

    Still, you don't think that Langer's an opener...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  3. #78
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    In spite of being so much better at 3 than opening
    In spite, actually, of being so much better 2001-2004\05 than 1997-1999\2000.
    Still, you don't think that Langer's an opener...
    He's not.
    He does bat there for Australia, though.

  4. #79
    You'll Never Walk Alone Nate's Avatar
    Bowling tgfg Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    New South Wales
    Posts
    28,730
    Stuff LE.
    Jesus brings life eternal



  5. #80
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    How did Warne do?
    Notice I never claimed that Warne was flawless and always successful when the pitch takes turn. The pitch turned big at the end of the OT test, Warne didn't take any second innings wickets because he bowled defensively and rather poorly. Giles didn't take any second innings wickets because he isn't much good, and Australia played him well.

    Mind you, it wasn't a great pitch for spin bowling, it was rather slow, but it definitely turned.
    It's cold on the outside they say
    But the cold leaves you clear while the heat leaves a haze

  6. #81
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Notice I never claimed that Warne was flawless and always successful when the pitch takes turn. The pitch turned big at the end of the OT test, Warne didn't take any second innings wickets because he bowled defensively and rather poorly. Giles didn't take any second innings wickets because he isn't much good, and Australia played him well.

    Mind you, it wasn't a great pitch for spin bowling, it was rather slow, but it definitely turned.
    Well you can't have it both ways. If it wasn't a great pitch for spin bowling then it seems a bit harsh to castigate a player for not running through a team with survival their primary aim.

  7. #82
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    Well you can't have it both ways. If it wasn't a great pitch for spin bowling then it seems a bit harsh to castigate a player for not running through a team with survival their primary aim.
    It was a good pitch for spin bowling, it took turn and plenty of it, and it was rough and a little uneven. It just wasn't perfect because it didn't have a great deal of pace or bounce.

    Anyway, I wasn't really castigating him, but Richard claimed that Giles is virtually always a success on turning wickets. It's pretty easy to always be successful on turning wickets when the definition of a turning pitch is "one on which Giles is successful". Really though, there's plenty of them around, and if he was always successful on them his average would be better than 40 odd.

    Interestingly, Richard claims that Boje is "almost the same bowler" as Giles, and both are of equal ability. Boje has had two pitches on which he turned it quite a large amount so far in the current series against Australia, and hasn't had much success on either.

  8. #83
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    He's not.
    He does bat there for Australia, though.
    Err, he also opens for WA. Langer has been an opener his entire career, he just didn't open early on in tests because the opening spots were taken.

  9. #84
    Hall of Fame Member aussie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Fine Leg/Technical Area
    Posts
    17,446
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Err, he also opens for WA. Langer has been an opener his entire career, he just didn't open early on in tests because the opening spots were taken.
    apparently Richard forget this little detail.

  10. #85
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    48,118
    it seems that you have overlooked several "little"details.

  11. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    It was a good pitch for spin bowling, it took turn and plenty of it, and it was rough and a little uneven. It just wasn't perfect because it didn't have a great deal of pace or bounce.

    Anyway, I wasn't really castigating him, but Richard claimed that Giles is virtually always a success on turning wickets. It's pretty easy to always be successful on turning wickets when the definition of a turning pitch is "one on which Giles is successful". Really though, there's plenty of them around, and if he was always successful on them his average would be better than 40 odd.
    Yep, rabid Warwickshire fan marc does exactly the same thing.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

  12. #87
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    63,186
    I'd like to see where I've supposedly posted anything of the sort.

  13. #88
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    48,118
    rabid ?

  14. #89
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    rabid ?
    Supports Coventry, so certainly edging towards hydrophobic.

    (looks at self, prepares for own course of injections)
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  15. #90
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    Notice I never claimed that Warne was flawless and always successful when the pitch takes turn.
    Rather impossible when you play as many Tests as he has.
    The pitch turned big at the end of the OT test, Warne didn't take any second innings wickets because he bowled defensively and rather poorly. Giles didn't take any second innings wickets because he isn't much good, and Australia played him well.

    Mind you, it wasn't a great pitch for spin bowling, it was rather slow, but it definitely turned.
    Not later on, it didn't.
    As such, Giles didn't cause any problems. Earlier, however, he did, as he did in the first-innings at Edgbaston.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Oldest Test Team?
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 13-09-2006, 11:01 PM
  2. Playing test cricket in their 40s
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27-11-2005, 10:13 PM
  3. The Future Champions of Test Cricket
    By Shawn Badyk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-07-2003, 04:11 AM
  4. Who?
    By Rich2001 in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 03:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •