Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: England vs Australia - Who has the best depth?

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    Who Dorey?
    Brett Dorey: http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/aust...ayer/5112.html

6 foot 8 swing bowler from Western Australia. First class average of 23. Had a shocking start to his ODI career, though.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc
    So you don't rate Hoggard, Jones or Flintoff, but you do rate Harmison?
    No. He doesn't particularly rate anyone (Udal and Ealham aside), especially not Harmison.

Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    He's a good one day player in my opinion, and if we had a bad enough run of injuries I could maybe see him as an outside shot at the world cup squad. Obviously not test material though.
    Fair enough. I dont really follow the Domestic One-Day form too closely. Next in line for ODI's at the moment, though, would probably be Jacques and then Cossie.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    How on earth can you say that, say, Marsh isn't test class? Have you ever even seen him play? How about Henriques? Or are you just talking crap as usual?

I'd agree that none of them are likely to have an impact on the series, but that's not really what "depth" means, is it?
    Of course I've seen Daniel Marsh play - he's OK, sure, but there's no way he's Test class.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Erm... how have Lee and MacGill not been successful in tests?
    This is not a success.
    Nor is this.

So you don't rate Hoggard, Jones or Flintoff, but you do rate Harmison?
    Other way around.
    Add Anderson into the "ahead of Harmison" lot, too.

Given that MacGill has been more "successful" in tests than any spinner England has produced in the last few decades, I'd say yes. Lee hasn't had a great career, but his average has dropped almost two whole runs since the start of the Australian summer, in which time he's taken 36 wickets @ 24.50, so he's certainly doing alright recently.
    You can say the same about MacGill
    One handful of Tests does not prove much, especially when the figures flatter them as these do.
    I don't give a damn if MacGill has been more succesful than any English spinner - that just says England don't produce quality wristspin, something that should be obvious to a goat-farmer from Ulyan Bataar.
    MacGill has not been succesful enough to suggest to me that we'll have any problem with him if he's even good enough to get into the side next winter.

I'd be floored if Giles ever had any significant success against Australia, simple as that. I'd back almost any spinner in the world to do better against Australia, in fact. Even Nicky Boje has been more threatening.
    Rubbish, Nico Boje and Giles are virtually the same bowler.
    I can almost absolutely gurantee you that if we get a turner at The SCG, Giles is fully fit, and a Test is played, he will cause Australia problems.
    You just don't seem to get the simple fact that some bowlers are not the same; some bowlers vary according to conditions.
    As such, you vastly underestimate Giles.
    As such it will increase further my satisfaction at seeing him tying Australian batsmen in knots if such a thing happens at The SCG next winter.

I haven't seen Panesar bowl, so I can't really comment, but he hasn't exactly set the world alight in the tests in India. Bailey and Casson had very good seasons just recently, so they're major prospects. Both are obviously wristspinners, which helps.
    Err, sorry? Casson whose First-Class average for 2005\06 was over 40 (well over 50 in the Pura Cup)? And Bailey whose was nearly 50?

Quote Originally Posted by steds
    No. He doesn't particularly rate anyone (Udal and Ealham aside), especially not Harmison.
    Err, what?
    It's hard to tell if you're being ironic there or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton
    The Aussies should start blooding Younger players for the next ashes series Clarke, Lee and Tait. Ponting, Gilcrist will all be around in the next ashes series in England will the others? i think it time to start now for them
    Lee is hardly young.
    I think it very presumptious to presume that Gilchrist will be around in 2009. He'll be nearly 38 by then. Yes, he might, but equally, if he isn't then we must respect his decision.
    Anyhow - Test cricket isn't all about The Ashes, I've said that enough times when there's call for a mass-cull in England after every Australia tour.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Err, what?
    It's hard to tell if you're being ironic there or not.
    Sorry, Richie. Couldn't help myself.

Maybe a couple of s might've helped in the original post, then.

Of course I've seen Daniel Marsh play - he's OK, sure, but there's no way he's Test class.
    It's Sean Marsh. Batsman for Western Australia, who Stephen Waugh called the best young batsman he'd ever seen. He's about 24, and if you've seen him play I don't think you'd say he was "not test class". He's not good enough yet, probably, but he's got a great deal of ability.

Rubbish, Nico Boje and Giles are virtually the same bowler.
    I think Giles is better actually, at least a bit. Boje bowled pretty well the other day though.

You just don't seem to get the simple fact that some bowlers are not the same; some bowlers vary according to conditions.
    As such, you vastly underestimate Giles.
    As such it will increase further my satisfaction at seeing him tying Australian batsmen in knots if such a thing happens at The SCG next winter.
    You mean that some bowlers rely on the conditions to be useful, and yes, obviously they do, and Giles is obviously a more useful bowler on a turner than otherwise, like any spinner is. That doesn't mean he's particularly good or that he'll have significant success against Australia, because he isn't, and I'd be surprised if he did.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information