• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will England Choke in 2006/07 Ashes And wats your best aussieXI

What will the score be in the 2006-07 Ashes series?

• 5-0 Aussies

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 3-2 poms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 5-0 poms

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • 4-1 aussies

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • 3-2 Aussies

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 4-1 poms

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drawn series

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
Are you normal!?

Have a look at MacGills stats on the only true spinning wicket in Australia, the SCG.
Indeed, not saying MacGill is particularly brilliant, but Giles is rubbish on just about every pitch so by default...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
Then add it to his record in Sri Lanka.
Then check-out Giles' record on turning pitches - everywhere, not just 1 ground.
Incidentally - MacGill's last 7 SCG Tests have produced an average of 29.02 - and one hell of a lot of that had to do with taking 9-82 against the World XI tailenders.
MacGills tests at the SCG:

8 matches, five 5-wicket hauls, 53 wickets at 24.47

What a shocker....

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Richard said:
You will get nowhere using MacGill's early career, nor his record against the wonderful Bangladesh, against me. I've never mentioned it. Nor will you get anywhere going-on about how useless Giles is on non-turning surfaces, because I've said that countless times, too.
Err, pay attention. I used the period you specified... "since 2001".

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:

What a shocker....
Agreed.

If he was English, he would make our 'all time' top 5 comfortably. Of the England spinners of my lifetime, I would rate only Laker and Underwood higher.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Indeed, not saying MacGill is particularly brilliant, but Giles is rubbish on just about every pitch so by default...
Of course there've been so many turning surfaces Giles has been rubbish on... 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:

What a shocker....
As I say - last 7 Tests nowhere near as good - I don't give a damn about 5-wicket hauls, it's average that counts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Err, pay attention. I used the period you specified... "since 2001".
I said since Adelaide 2000\01, in fact - the last Test of 2000. Not that it makes a massive difference.
You said also, however, "over their full careers", and I said that makes no odds to me because MacGill's career can be clearly split into 2 parts.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Agreed.

If he was English, he would make our 'all time' top 5 comfortably. Of the England spinners of my lifetime, I would rate only Laker and Underwood higher.
Rhodes and Verity were clearly better in their age, too. You seriously rate MacGill above Lock in his age? :blink:
That he's better than most English spinners only says how bowling fingerspin hasn't been a plausible possibility in the last 30 years and more at home. It also, of course, says that England have only had 2 remotely good wristspinners, one of whom lost most of his years to WWII.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Rhodes and Verity were clearly better in their age, too. You seriously rate MacGill above Lock in his age? :blink:
That he's better than most English spinners only says how bowling fingerspin hasn't been a plausible possibility in the last 30 years and more at home. It also, of course, says that England have only had 2 remotely good wristspinners, one of whom lost most of his years to WWII.
I agree regarding Rhodes and Verity.

I don't think there's such a clear-cut gulf between MacGill and Lock.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Plenty of people argued that there were times Lock was a superior performer to Laker, didn't they? I for one don't find that inconceivable. And I've always had huge respect for Lock for going on so long as he did just to demonstrate his repentance of becoming a chucker temporarily.
The long line of England left-armers... Peate, Rhodes, Verity, Lock, Underwood (ceases with covered wickets).
I can't think of any truly great right-arm fingerspinners aside from Laker, interestingly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Try distinguishing between "overall averages" (ie a career in it's entirety) and "averages" (which could - and did in this case - refer to short-term patterns).
Try again with your manufacturing contradictions...

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard said:
As I say - last 7 Tests nowhere near as good - I don't give a damn about 5-wicket hauls, it's average that counts.
You can't just eliminate something just because it makes your claim look foolish.

How about this one, i'll prove Bradman was the worst batsman of all time.

Bradman (using his last test innings)
0 runs at an average of 0.00.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
I have a feeling the Aussies will win the first test convincingly and then who knows from there. England will definetly win at least one test, and probably 2. I do not think for one moment we will 'choke' though.

DanielFullard

U19 Vice-Captain
Oh and as for my best Aussie X1. At this stage

Langer
Hayden
Pointing
Hussey
Gilchrist
Symonds
Gillespie
Warne
Lee
Bracken

Than Im not sure who else....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
Plenty of people argued that there were times Lock was a superior performer to Laker, didn't they? I for one don't find that inconceivable. And I've always had huge respect for Lock for going on so long as he did just to demonstrate his repentance of becoming a chucker temporarily.
The long line of England left-armers... Peate, Rhodes, Verity, Lock, Underwood (ceases with covered wickets).
I can't think of any truly great right-arm fingerspinners aside from Laker, interestingly.
It was a quicker ball that went the other way - call it a doosra, if you like.

He got called for throwing it - end of story.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
benchmark00 said:
You can't just eliminate something just because it makes your claim look foolish.

How about this one, i'll prove Bradman was the worst batsman of all time.

Bradman (using his last test innings)
0 runs at an average of 0.00.
Wow.
There's a difference between using 7\8ths of something and 1\80th.
Something I guess most people might just realise.
I can eliminate whatever I want to prove a point. I have done so. You tried exactly the same thing in eliminating all games elsewhere from The SCG. MacGill in his last 7 Tests at The SCG has been absolutely nothing special - he just had an exceptional 1st game. I happen to think this actually says quite a lot.
The fact that Bradman in 1 single innings scored 0 means little or nothing.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
It was a quicker ball that went the other way - call it a doosra, if you like.

He got called for throwing it - end of story.
Eh?
I got the impression that Lock's action became blatantly and consistently illegal from about 1954, due to protracted bowling under a low roof.
Never heard anything of it being an alternate delivery.