View Poll Results: What will the score be in the 2006-07 Ashes series?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5-0 Aussies

1 5.88%
  • 3-2 poms

2 11.76%
  • 5-0 poms

2 11.76%
  • 4-1 aussies

4 23.53%
  • 3-2 Aussies

5 29.41%
  • 4-1 poms

0 0%
  • Drawn series

3 17.65%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Will England Choke in 2006/07 Ashes And wats your best aussieXI

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    I'll limit myself to suggesting that Chris Hinton is now no longer the CW forumite least capable of forming a coherent sentence, and allow everyone else to rip into the rubbish contained within the inelegance.
    I'll give it a bash myself, too... when I've had tea.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by RoyForPM
    I Believe England's 2005 triumph was a fluke on their home turf. When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day.
    Wow, good players aren't bothered by the crowd.
    England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0. Reasons Why?
    England Lack in openers
    No, England have plenty of openers.
    Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies
    No, he hasn't, but he did manage to average over 40, which says a lot about how poor Australia's fielding was. The chances of it being any better this time around are very slim, as they lack the talent.
    Strauss struggled against leg spin
    Wow, I'm sure he'll correct that if he gets to face enough pies from MacGill.
    W/Keeper Jones poor glovemen/batsmen need some new talent
    Not really, Jones' glovework has been first-rate of late.
    Bowlers, not much swing down under
    Good bowlers can swing a ball anywhere.
    Aussie tracks compleelty differnt to pommy tracks, WACAs steepling bounce, adelaide and Sydney turning wickets
    With Giles and possibly Panesar in the attack England have the armoury if we get a SCG turner. When, prey, was the last time we had a proper WACA bouncer? Even if so, England's seam attack is infinately stronger so they're very likely to win out on such a pitch.
    Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff
    Yes, they might have done - but Australia didn't take catches, and haven't been doing for a long time (3-and-a-half years, now). To suggest they won't drop a load more in 2006\07 is fanciful.
    and Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket
    You clearly don't know anything about the domestic game if you think so.
    Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever.
    That is perhaps the most ludicrous thing I've ever answered to. Even if he was bowling quicker than ever (which he's not) he's still not even in the top 20 in The World and I'd back him to get hammered again in 2006\07.

Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    If that Australian line-up was the team, I'd most definitely go for a comfortable England victory. The bowling attack looks mediocre at best, and positively rubbish at worst. Australia have one absolute world-class match-winner of the highest order, and you've dropped him.

A couple of careless cricket balls left around the field of play before the toss to put paid to Glenn McGrath and Symonds is likely to be your most economical bowler.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

International Coach Barney Rubble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Right, someone's gotta deconstruct this rubbish, it might as well be me.

When the Poms come down under they are gonna cop some, for example 90 000 Melbournians on Boxing Day. - the Barmy Army will outsing them all. That's not a joke - Australian crowds might make noise when there's a wicket or a six, but the Barmy Army don't shut up for entire days.

England past away performances have shown they cant play away from home Aussies to win 5-0 - by the same token, Australian performances against the current England side have shown that they are incapable of winning a series against them. Past performances mean nothing, in cricket or any other sport.

England Lack in openers - yes, three of them averaging over 45 with one having 5,500 Test runs to his name is a real gaping hole.

Trescothik hasn't scored a ton against Aussies - no, but he was England's second top run-scorer last summer and averaged 43.10. Also he did score 90 on one occasion.

Strauss struggled against leg spin
    W/Keeper Jones poor glovemen/batsmen need some new talent
    - only remotely valid points you make. However, Strauss still managed to make two centuries last summer and Jones' keeping is improving.

Bowlers, not much swing down under
    Aussie tracks compleelty differnt to pommy tracks, WACAs steepling bounce, adelaide and Sydney turning wickets
    - Reverse swing, which is what Australia were unable to handle last summer, happens everywhere. Aussie tracks are different, yes - but that will mean more bounce and pace for the likes of Flintoff, Jones and Harmison as well as the likes of Lee and (s******) Tait.

Middle order if aussies had of taken catches in 2005 Pietersen would average about 15 as would Flintoff - patently not true. Pietersen was not dropped all series until the Oval, and Flintoff was not dropped all series.

Bell shouldn't even be playing county cricket - yes, a first-class average of 48.84 in 2005, even including his poor Ashes, is clearly unacceptable. More than Justin Langer's averaging this Australian season by some distance, incidentally.

Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever. - Brett Lee's last 20 Tests: 83 wickets @ 34.45, with an economy rate of 3.77. That's actually worse than his career statistics overall.

M.Cosgrove - does not have a hope in hell of playing in the Ashes. If he does, Australia will have either had a distastrous 2006 season, or will be in the midst of a huge injury crisis.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
    I forgot. You left out Shane Warne - you know who he is, right?

Breakout Champion!
    I forgot. You left out Shane Warne - you know who he is, right?
    I don't think I do. I just googled him, but all I got was some fat guy with bleach blonde hair. So I thinks to myself "that can't be someone who could win an Ashes test. That's the stumpy dude who knocks about in the pub thinking he's a ladies man." So's I gives up looking for him.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    If that Australian line-up was the team, I'd most definitely go for a comfortable England victory. The bowling attack looks mediocre at best, and positively rubbish at worst. Australia have one absolute world-class match-winner of the highest order, and you've dropped him.

A couple of careless cricket balls left around the field of play before the toss to put paid to Glenn McGrath and Symonds is likely to be your most economical bowler.
    I'm sure he's likely to beware of warm-up mechanisms this time...
    Didn't his barber have more to blame than the selectors?

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!
    Haha, why are you all getting so fired up? Clearly he doesn`t know much at all, so instead of taking it seriously, how about you have a laugh and do something constructive?
    Jesus saves

proudly supporting Liverpool FC

Bowling tgfg Champion! Carmageddon Champion! Rainman Champion! DTunnel Champion!

Final reason, Brett Lee has matured and is the best bowler in the world, is bowling quicker than ever. - Brett Lee's last 20 Tests: 83 wickets @ 34.45, with an economy rate of 3.77. That's actually worse than his career statistics overall.
    Are you for serious? I`m assuming that includes the Ashes and whatnot. Against the Windies and South Africa he was absolutely brilliant. And while I`m aware this doesn`t make him the best bowler in the world, cut him some slack, because he can`t have done much more lately. He said he was going to bowl L@L and for the most part he has.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Are you for serious? I`m assuming that includes the Ashes and whatnot. Against the Windies and South Africa he was absolutely brilliant. And while I`m aware this doesn`t make him the best bowler in the world, cut him some slack, because he can`t have done much more lately. He said he was going to bowl L@L and for the most part he has.
    Hey, I just StatsGuru'ed (weird verb) him, that's all. I've not seen him since the Ashes, not really qualified to pass judgement.

And as for taking this guy too seriously, sometimes it's necessary for ego massaging purposes to shoot someone down like that.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnanden
    Against the Windies and South Africa he was absolutely brilliant.
    But still averaged over 30 vs SA...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Depends if England have the same build up to the India series or not....
    Basically could go either way for various reasons....

How can you claim England have no openers though? we've just found another one in Ali Cook....
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Spectator

???

England Can't win Ashes With This Blokes Career, don't tell me your going to Bring Him Down, I Want it to be a close Ashes:
    v Australia 7 179 59 14.91 0 1 17 4/101 51.58 0 7 0
    v Bangladesh 2 25 19 12.50 0 0 1 1/52 112.00 0 0 0
    Its Ashley Giles, Bangladesh found him easy to play!!!!
    Heres my favourite, you talk up Strauss and heres his last couple of digs.
    1 - - - 3
    - DNB 0 0 4
    - DNB 1 0 1 L 1st Test v Pak in Pak 2005/06 at Multan [1770]
    9 - - - 2
    - DNB 0 0 3
    23 - - - 4
    - DNB 0 0 1 D 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 2005/06 at Faisalabad [1772]
    12 - - - 2
    - DNB 0 0 3
    0 - - - 4
    28 - - - 1 D 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2005/06 at Nagpur [1785]
    - DNB 0 0 2
    46 - - - 3
    - DNB 3 0 4
    Avg of about 20- almost better than me, and im a bowler
    Keep arguing boys, England cant play away, How did they go against Pakistan Again?

Quote Originally Posted by RoyForPM
    England Can't win Ashes With This Blokes Career, don't tell me your going to Bring Him Down, I Want it to be a close Ashes:
    v Australia 7 179 59 14.91 0 1 17 4/101 51.58 0 7 0
    v Bangladesh 2 25 19 12.50 0 0 1 1/52 112.00 0 0 0
    Its Ashley Giles, Bangladesh found him easy to play!!!!
    Heres my favourite, you talk up Strauss and heres his last couple of digs.
    1 - - - 3
    - DNB 0 0 4
    - DNB 1 0 1 L 1st Test v Pak in Pak 2005/06 at Multan [1770]
    9 - - - 2
    - DNB 0 0 3
    23 - - - 4
    - DNB 0 0 1 D 2nd Test v Pak in Pak 2005/06 at Faisalabad [1772]
    12 - - - 2
    - DNB 0 0 3
    0 - - - 4
    28 - - - 1 D 1st Test v Ind in Ind 2005/06 at Nagpur [1785]
    - DNB 0 0 2
    46 - - - 3
    - DNB 3 0 4
    Avg of about 20- almost better than me, and im a bowler
    Keep arguing boys, England cant play away, How did they go against Pakistan Again?
    Dear god, you're an idiot.

Strauss scored two hundreds vs your own team last summer. Now he's had four poor Tests (the same number Matthew Hayden did before laying down four centuries in consecutive Test, incidentally) and you're writing him off.

Giles dismissed all of the the Australian top eight at some point in last summer's Test series.

As for England's away performances, yes, they lost 2-0 in Pakistan. How did they do in South Africa or West Indies, then?

Oh, and by the way, only words at the beginning of a sentence and names take a capital letter.

Screw Giles, you`ve got Python.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    But still averaged over 30 vs SA...
    1) 5/93 - He bowled supremely. Some great short stuff as well.
    2) 1/83 - I thought he went too hard. Pretty unlucky in parts, but deliveries that sometimes may had got him wickets went unrewarded as South Africa went for the draw.

1) 3/92 - Some of the best Lee I`ve ever seen. He bowled some incredible L@L and his bouncer/yorker that did Kallis made me jump out of my seat in awe, even though everyone saw it coming.
    2) 0/23 - He only bowled 11 overs, and they were all quality. South Africa couldn`t do much with them and tried to attack the other bowlers, which failed badly.

1) 3/82 - The best he bowled all series for mine. He got both openers and Pollock from memory and really troubled them.
    2) 1/48 - Gibbs went after him and succeeded.

End Result: All bowlers averaged around 30 or higher. He took 13 wickets placing him third highest below Nel and Warne who took 14. Pretty good series for mine.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information