• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**.....UNOFFICIAL.....** ASHES 2007 thread

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Yes the countdown is on to the most anticipated test series in living memory. With less than 14 months to go until the first test in Brisbane, the quest to return the Ashes to their rightful home is just around the corner.

Sure England get to babysit them for a few months but that will just make it all the more special when we relieve them of them again. Don’t worry…..that little urn will be half way back as soon as Vaughany wins the toss on November 9 (I think that’s the date anyway) and sends the Aussies in at the Gabba.

Watch Haydos and Alfie continue where they left off at the Oval, plundering the non-reverse swinging Kookaburra to all corners of the field as the four pronged seam attack of Jones, Freddie, Hoggard and some other trundler (unfortunately Harmy was too homesick) struggle in the Aus-friendly conditions.

And then watch the everyoung Pigeon, Dizzy (yes-he’s fit and back !), Binger and Warney slice through the England underbelly as Trescothick starts nicking the bouncing ball again and KP and Freddie hit them down the outfielders throats on real full size cricket fields.

Yes it’s going to be a series not to be missed……..and yes it’s all beginning this time next year! That’s the way the Ashes should be – England get to hold them for a year before we get a chance to retain them for the next 3.

Book your tickets now. If you thought 20,000 hysterical poms at each test match gave the Aussies a hard time wait until the poms turn out in front of 100,000 p!ssed Aussies at the newly completed MCG. It wil be enough to make Tuffers cry again…….and he won’t he even be there !

Get ready for it !

Last edited:

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
England are the ones that should be looking forward to this series, Australian cricket will be in tatters in 14 months

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
errrr why should I?

Im actually quite serious.....the invincable aura aus had is gone. Most of your current players are looking either heartless, ancient or pretty much average (or all) and the long touted crop of awesome players in the Sheffield Sheild who are ready to set up has been shown to be utter BS

Im not saying Australia will be in tatters Bangles-Zimbo type tatters ....but from here their results will continue to slide, the Aus media will turn up the heat, the fans wont respond well to a middling type team and so by the time the ashes return it will be more like aust needed to prove they are in the top 3 by at least getting a drawn series. = tatters compared to your last few years

Look how old your team is...particulary the greats Warne/McGrath/Gilly, the dynasty is over

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
Im not saying Australia will be in tatters Bangles-Zimbo type tatters ....but from here their results will continue to slide, the Aus media will turn up the heat, the fans wont respond well to a middling type team and so by the time the ashes return it will be more like aust needed to prove they are in the top 3 by at least getting a drawn series. = tatters compared to your last few years

Look how old your team is...particulary the greats Warne/McGrath/Gilly, the dynasty is over
Okay, so who's going to beat Australia then, if they're going to slide? I'm quite serious here.

I can certainly see Australia losing in the Super Series. Then Australia play South Africa and the West Indies... hmm, probably not there. After that, it's South Africa again, and then Bangladesh, and then England again.

I think Australia will be undefeated between now and the next Ashes series, and it wouldn't surprise me if England lose to India but aside from that I think they'll do well too. The next series will be quite a spectacle.

The Maestro

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well to be honest , barring the SS I didnt really have a clue who aus were playing before the next ashes. WI we can pretty much forget cant see them rattling anyones cage for awhile .........but the saffas ........what is that an away test series after NZ tour there? Im pretty sure NZs SA's next oppoent (Im D/L ing atm so dont wanna open another page)

The problem with the yaya's atm is Kallis and Pollock are declining as bowlers so their attack is pretty weak, but if the aus selectors do what i think they will do and sweep clean after this series there will be some pretty green boys in your batting line up. That battle could end up quite even. However the yayas batting is VERY strong at the moment and australia barring Warne looks weak (ok im talking relatively here)

Add to that the fact that SA REALLY hates australia..... Im sure they will be primed to put the boot into an injured sans ashes australian team full of green horns being hounded by their own press :@

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
Okay, so who's going to beat Australia then, if they're going to slide? I'm quite serious here.

I can certainly see Australia losing in the Super Series. Then Australia play South Africa and the West Indies... hmm, probably not there. After that, it's South Africa again, and then Bangladesh, and then England again.

I think Australia will be undefeated between now and the next Ashes series, and it wouldn't surprise me if England lose to India but aside from that I think they'll do well too. The next series will be quite a spectacle.
good call......14 months isn't a long time. I'd expect most of the current side to be still playing and selected.......and performing.

Whatever happens there is no doubt there will be another big build up for this series and considering how long the last build up went, I'd say it's about to start again right now.

Playing Australia in Australia won't be easy for the poms. The superseries may give us a slight inkling as to how the likes of Flintoff and Harmison may perform.

In any case it will be another great series and another great opportunity for the poms to prove their worth as the stand out Number 2 nation in world cricket.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The Maestro said:
Well to be honest , barring the SS I didnt really have a clue who aus were playing before the next ashes. WI we can pretty much forget cant see them rattling anyones cage for awhile .........but the saffas ........what is that an away test series after NZ tour there? Im pretty sure NZs SA's next oppoent (Im D/L ing atm so dont wanna open another page)

The problem with the yaya's atm is Kallis and Pollock are declining as bowlers so their attack is pretty weak, but if the aus selectors do what i think they will do and sweep clean after this series there will be some pretty green boys in your batting line up. That battle could end up quite even. However the yayas batting is VERY strong at the moment and australia barring Warne looks weak (ok im talking relatively here)

Add to that the fact that SA REALLY hates australia..... Im sure they will be primed to put the boot into an injured sans ashes australian team full of green horns being hounded by their own press :@
There's no way Australia will "sweep clean" after the series. The only people who are in danger are Hayden and Katich, and I think Hayden's definately done enough to save his career for a while with this century.

Anyway, yeah. Australia play SA and the West Indies at home (and SA and Sri Lanka in the VB Series), and then they have some ODIs in New Zealand and then have tours of South Africa and Bangladesh before the next Ashes.

And as far as Australia's bowling looking weak aside from Warne... there's this other guy who's the best seam bowler in the world who hasn't retired yet who could cause a problem or two as well.

South Africa are good I think, and they're probably about equal with India as the next in like after Australia and England, but I'd be stunned if they managed to make it a close series. And as far as South Africa "hating" Australia is concerned, it didn't really help them at any time in past so I don't see what difference it would make now.

Deja moo

International Captain
Maestro, Aussie cricket wasnt in tatters after India defeated them in 2001, or after India drew with them in Australia in 2003-04. What makes you think they'll fall away now ?

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
I can certainly see Australia losing in the Super Series..
Anything could happen in the Super Series. It's hardly a guide to anything. Who's going to be up for it - The World, or Australia, or both, or neither?

I can't see the World XI really feeling passionate about it as a team, and that applies whether or not Australia have the Ashes.

I just can't see some of those World XI players giving too hoots about whether or not they win.....

As for Australia, they may want to show the world they're still number 1 but who really knows. Half the players will probably just play to cement their spots in the side.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
sqwerty said:
Anything could happen in the Super Series. It's hardly a guide to anything. Who's going to be up for it - The World, or Australia, or both, or neither?

I can't see the World XI really feeling passionate about it as a team, and that applies whether or not Australia have the Ashes.

I just can't see some of those World XI players giving too hoots about whether or not they win.....

As for Australia, they may want to show the world they're still number 1 but who really knows. Half the players will probably just play to cement their spots in the side.
I actually think the games will be pretty competitive and tense.

Regardless, I don't know what's going to happen, but it's certainly possible that Australia will lose, or maybe they'll pull off an amazing win, who knows. I was simply making the point that I can't see Australia going to pieces between now and the next Ashes series and being a "middling side" as Maestro claimed. I actually think Australia will still be on top of the world rankings. They'll remain there if they lose this series 2-1, and provided they manage to keep winning they should stay there.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
FaaipDeOiad said:
I actually think the games will be pretty competitive and tense.

Regardless, I don't know what's going to happen, but it's certainly possible that Australia will lose, or maybe they'll pull off an amazing win, who knows. I was simply making the point that I can't see Australia going to pieces between now and the next Ashes series and being a "middling side" as Maestro claimed. I actually think Australia will still be on top of the world rankings. They'll remain there if they lose this series 2-1, and provided they manage to keep winning they should stay there.
Agree.....despite perhaps not being the side they have been they'll stay on top simply due to their schedule. The next Ashes series will probably be the best indicator as to how Aus and England compare having played each other at home and away with the new look England.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Maestro, Aussie cricket wasnt in tatters after India defeated them in 2001, or after India drew with them in Australia in 2003-04. What makes you think they'll fall away now ?
word i'm not able with these lads who are ready to jump down & say that Australia are suddenly doomed it annoys my ar*se....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Well most of us English had earmarked 2007 as the series when we had the better chance because of the aging factor (and the team gelling factor)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
sqwerty said:
good call......14 months isn't a long time. I'd expect most of the current side to be still playing and selected.......and performing.
So after every Test this series it's been "they'll come good next time"

Now we're at "they'll come good in 14 months"

What if they struggle there as well?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So after every Test this series it's been "they'll come good next time"

Now we're at "they'll come good in 14 months"

What if they struggle there as well?
Then England would be the best team in the world, wouldn't they?

Rather than making every post an attempt to make out that everyone else is a whinging bad loser, why not pay attention to what people are actually saying? Just because England won this series doesnt' mean that Australia are a bunch of hacks who are suddenly going to lose to everyone else, nor does it mean that they'll automatically lose the next Ashes series. That's the point here.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Then England would be the best team in the world, wouldn't they?

Rather than making every post an attempt to make out that everyone else is a whinging bad loser, why not pay attention to what people are actually saying? Just because England won this series doesnt' mean that Australia are a bunch of hacks who are suddenly going to lose to everyone else, nor does it mean that they'll automatically lose the next Ashes series. That's the point here.
Well what I'm getting fed up is seeing the same excuses being brought out after every game, and modified with no credit for the way England have performed.