14-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Join Date: Mar 2010
Originally Posted by Mixmasterreece
God, where to start on that test team....
1. Watling (Hesitant to move him at the movement, but theres no other opening options)
2. Flynn (Unless he can play a nuggety, patient role in the top 3 he is of no use to that team batting at #5 - Im a massive Flynn fan but my patience is wearing thin)
3. McCullum (To be honest, Id rather he batted at 6 or 7)
5. Williamson (Hiding him sure, but needs a chance to play against old ball to regain confidence)
7. Munro (As a batting all rounder - deserves a shot on his home turf (as)
8. Vetorri / Astle* (Massive weak area. Out of the current spin options Astle just gets the tick due to his batting. Having said that I wouldnt be opposed to Bruce Martin getting his chance based on Shield form)
12. McClenaghan (has shown more in a few T20s than Wagner has in 3 tests)
13. Guptil (As middle order cover - not to open)
14. Milne/Cachopa (as worthy as anyone)
Not a perfect lineup, but I'm not seeing a wide range of options apart from bringing in Ronchi or throwing Rutherford in at the deep end.
+ side is moving Watling up the order gives us the perception of a very deep batting order, and considering our #6 and #7 do most of our batting it makes sense to strengthen the start of our tail.
* I imagine the Astle selection is a bit of a pipe dream. Sounds like Hesson has told Astle he won't be in the side again until we tour the sub continent again one day. Laughable.
You can't have your keeper open the batting.