Originally Posted by Jono
No way in hell would Sanga have batted like he did if it wasn't a final.
This is had been Sanga's way of batting for the past 3-5 years and is one of the reasons SL fans have been calling him to be dropped or move down the order. When Dilshan got bowled in the second over, I pretty much knew the chase was over.
Text book self full-filling prophecy, generally along these lines;
- SL middle order sucks
- Early wicket falls, close shop in the PP and go at 3RPO
- 10-20 overs later, need to increase RR.
- In ability to clear spread field results in a wicket, 90% of the time this is Sanga who has made a 54 (80) all in the PP.
- In comes the middle order into an innings going no where.
- Then comes the panicked slogs, half ass sweeps, reverse sweeps, runouts etc
- Wash, rinse, repeat, with statement 1 getting added weight now.
Sanga/Mahela hid behind Jayasuriya for 10 years and now they bat every innings expecting Perera to perform miracles in the last 5-10 overs.There is a reason SL's last major win was in the 08 Asia cup when Jayasuriya still had some juice left.