Originally Posted by Matt79
Armstrong. Aussie cricket then was as dysfunctional as Pakistani cricket in Imran's time. Armstrong averaged near forty with the bat pre-WW1, and was a very effective leg spinner as well. Plus he had an 80% winning record as captain and drew the other 20%. He never lost a test as skipper and should have captained a lot more but was constantly fighting with the fairly incompetent board of control who hated him. Led one of only two Ashes whitewashes as well.
A true allrounder, the Big Ship. Also played in a VFL grand final for South Melbourne.
Mind you, Wally Hammond (Brizzle Rovers) & Beefy (S****horpe) also played professional football.